DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually have two questions...

One, I changed my midbass to midrange slope from 1khz/24db to 1khz/6db. Crossover points currently are 20/6, 90/18/, 1000/6, and 7000/24. So on to my question, this setup has had a few peaks and dips and the dips in the midbass/midrange area were all but impossible to EQ out. Immediately after switching to a 6db slope, the FR greatly smoothed out. I have no big dips like I once did, haven't tried to eq out the small stuff yet. So is this the result of having two different speakers in different locations playing some of the same frequencies? It seems to work well, trying to get used to the sound, just looking for theories as to how this got rid of most of the dips in FR.

Second.... My subs are easier to integrate with the rest of the system with a 90hz/18db lowpass vs everything from 50hz and up. The 650s have no problem keeping up from 63hz and up, they actually sound good subless and they have a great midbass pop so I don't think it's a midbass output problem. To back that up, I can turn the subs down to where they're barely audible and they still integrate better at the higher frequency. My bass is actually more up front at 90hz than 63hz:confused:. I'm not knocking it, I'm thankful for it but again, looking for any theories as to why. I've always liked how lively the system sounds with the subs running a little higher but the problem was always upfront bass when run that high.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Are u measuring with averages or a stationary mic position?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I could be way off here, but my assumption is that crossover slopes would vary depending on drivers used, crossover frequencies, locality, and vehicle. All of which shape the frequency response, the slope just affects how well one driver blends with the next. The peaks and dips you may be noticing are on the crossover frequencies. Changing the slope can help level that out. So, I would say slopes are very dependant. Try playing around with different slopes between different drivers.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Are u measuring with averages or a stationary mic position?
Stationary. Should I be using averages?

I could be way off here, but my assumption is that crossover slopes would vary depending on drivers used, crossover frequencies, locality, and vehicle. All of which shape the frequency response, the slope just affects how well one driver blends with the next. The peaks and dips you may be noticing are on the crossover frequencies. Changing the slope can help level that out. So, I would say slopes are very dependant. Try playing around with different slopes between different drivers.
Most of my problems are solved, no need to try different drivers or locations. I had a huge dip at 800hz and a few other smaller ones that are pretty much gone now. I've had the same issues with many different crossover points, it wasn't until I went with the 6db slope that it went away.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
6db can create other problems with staging and imaging cues. glad you figured it out....i think :confused:

stationary can work. when i do stationary, i only take down big peaks and try and match left and right that way. then I listen. if you get a chance ,go to the audio control website and download their rta pdf manual. it has some great instructions on how to tune in a car and why.

see ya soon :)

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
6db can create other problems with staging and imaging cues. glad you figured it out....i think :confused:

stationary can work. when i do stationary, i only take down big peaks and try and match left and right that way. then I listen. if you get a chance ,go to the audio control website and download their rta pdf manual. it has some great instructions on how to tune in a car and why.

see ya soon :)
That's the truth. The stage height has dropped on some songs. You fix one problem and create another. Passives are starting to look better and better lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts