DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I would like to say that this is a great forum. I'm learning so much here that it isn't even funny. It looks as though I found a new favorite forum to visit, unfortunately ECA is going down hill.

Anyway with all that being said I recently attended the houston SQS and scott buwalda said that in his opinion a tweets magic frequency to be crossed at is 6 kHz. This is supposed to be the frequency where you can stop locating the tweet. My question is what 6 - 7" could play that high with audible cone breakup?

·
Registered
492 Posts
HEy! How are those arcs working for you?? Good to see you here! My buddy NEWTITAN sent me this link to this audiotechnology driver that has an amazing frequencyresponse graph:

http://www.audiotechnology.dk/iz.asp?id=4|a|136|||

going by that response plot that mid mid which is unfortunately 8 inches can play up to 5 or 6khm without much trouble at all, maybe they make a smaller driver that does this as well. I wonder if these are siutable for IB configs. The peak to peak is pretty crazy as is the linear displacement. Anyone knwo where these can be bought? (goes and checks parts express)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Madisound.com has AudioTechnology speakers. Those are $525 a speaker. They better be able to play up to 6k with no break up. :twisted:

Ryan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rimshot said:
HEy! How are those arcs working for you?? Good to see you here! My buddy NEWTITAN sent me this link to this audiotechnology driver that has an amazing frequencyresponse graph:

http://www.audiotechnology.dk/iz.asp?id=4|a|136|||

going by that response plot that mid mid which is unfortunately 8 inches can play up to 5 or 6khm without much trouble at all, maybe they make a smaller driver that does this as well. I wonder if these are siutable for IB configs. The peak to peak is pretty crazy as is the linear displacement. Anyone knwo where these can be bought? (goes and checks parts express)
The Arc's are working out great man. I'm really impressed by them, they are great subs.

·
Registered
230 Posts
e-speakers.com sells the 4" and 5" version. By looking at the frequency response plot on the audiotechnology site, they both look like they will easily play up to 7k :shock:

Dave

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rimshot said:
http://www.e-speakers.com/products/skaaning.html

299 each for the 6-7incher but guess what, they have 4 OHM VERSIONS!

damn too bad they cost so much id love to try them
Yeah, they look damn nice. A little too pricey for me though.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I would not cross my mids all the way up at 6khz,
the bigger mids will start beaming there, plus, u'd have to place the tweeters awfully close

the only logical reason that i think Scott crosses his tweeters @ 6khz is to avoid the critical voice range and it raises the sound stage

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Several issues with using a driver that high in the car.

1. Cone no longer acts as a true piston. As a result the dispersion of the driver narrows, or "beams" as some people say. Bottom line, the off-axis response will suffer. The "transient" response will also suffer.

2. Cone breakup. Any stiff cone driver will have breakup at or well before this point.

3. Mounting location. Your speaker maybe able to reach 6khz when measured directly on-axis in an anechoic chamber, but in a car, in your door or kickpanel will it still play to 6khz? Especially considering that in a typical car door, you're sitting so far off axis from the driver in the driver's side door that you're lucky to get anything past 1-2khz, even for a driver that will typically play flat to 10khz anechoic on-axis.

A good example of this... look at the article on tuning your system using a pc based measurement system in the tech. article forum. The +12db peak of my Seas Excel driver completely disappears when mounted in the doors.

Point being, don't trust anechoic response measurements. Always take into consideration the actual in-car response.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ksin291,
sorry to sidetrack a bit but i notice you have a 9835 hooked to a H700...via Ai-Net i assume...if yes, do you encounter any hiss problem? I have feedback from users saying that they are runnin Ai-Net to their Alpine decks and the H700 has hiss problems.
thanks,
Charles

·
Registered
605 Posts
npdang said:
1. Cone no longer acts as a true piston. As a result the dispersion of the driver narrows, or "beams" as some people say. Bottom line, the off-axis response will suffer. The "transient" response will also suffer.
Are you refering to larger mids specifically? If not, do you experience beaming with drivers like the aura whisper?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Charles said:
ksin291,
sorry to sidetrack a bit but i notice you have a 9835 hooked to a H700...via Ai-Net i assume...if yes, do you encounter any hiss problem? I have feedback from users saying that they are runnin Ai-Net to their Alpine decks and the H700 has hiss problems.
thanks,
Charles
I have noticed no hissing but then again I have not listened for it. If you'de like I will listen for it later with the car and ac off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Charles said:
ksin291,
thanks,
Charles
I got in the car with the engine and ac off and noticed no hissing until I tuned it up to volume level 31 out of 35. Seems pretty quiet to me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
npdang said:
Several issues with using a driver that high in the car.

2. Cone breakup. Any stiff cone driver will have breakup at or well before this point.

3. Mounting location. Your speaker maybe able to reach 6khz when measured directly on-axis in an anechoic chamber, but in a car, in your door or kickpanel will it still play to 6khz? Especially considering that in a typical car door, you're sitting so far off axis from the driver in the driver's side door that you're lucky to get anything past 1-2khz, even for a driver that will typically play flat to 10khz anechoic on-axis.

A good example of this... look at the article on tuning your system using a pc based measurement system in the tech. article forum. The +12db peak of my Seas Excel driver completely disappears when mounted in the doors.

Point being, don't trust anechoic response measurements. Always take into consideration the actual in-car response.
Where would you recommend crossing the mids and tweet's then? The mid's are in the stock location low in the doors and the tweet's are up on the A-pillars.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Would have to measure it to find out... no experience with that vehicle unfortunately.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ksin291 said:
Charles said:
ksin291,
thanks,
Charles
I got in the car with the engine and ac off and noticed no hissing until I tuned it up to volume level 31 out of 35. Seems pretty quiet to me.
Thanks for testing it out, i can assure you you're the 1st person to give me a positive feedback on that because most i've asked in other forums experience hiss one way or another.

tx,
Charles

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Charles said:
ksin291 said:
Charles said:
ksin291,
thanks,
Charles
Thanks for testing it out, i can assure you you're the 1st person to give me a positive feedback on that because most i've asked in other forums experience hiss one way or another.

tx,
Charles
No problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
there is a trick somewhat to get rid of the majority of the hiss in tha ainet setup....i have mine running through a 9815....well, off i should say....go in to 5.1 setup....it will say set automatically or manually....go manual and change left and right to +10...this will drop noise floor down....a lot of it can also be tweaked in gain structures as well

also....go in to pcm settings and change pcm and all other levels to 0.....they are factory set at +5....this will make output lower unfortunatly, but it will open up that processor greatly....advice i got it to not cut gains in processor....try to keep them all at 0 so you get full voltage out of processor....adjust gains at amps best you can and slightly tweak levels if need be in processor

·
Registered
415 Posts
do you guys really hear that hiss..?

because i just went outside to test my D300/H701 between Digital and Analog and it does pick up a little hiss at but this is at pretty loud levels and your music would really mask it up.

^basically, regular recorded music has more hiss on the recording then the amount of hiss i was getting..

digital is pretty awesome though.. freaken stone cold quite on the IASCA zero bit track. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts