DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Anyone have any experience using 6x9 "subs" in the rear deck of a sedan? I know this is not optimal for good sub bass, but I want to put a budget system in an 09 Toyota Carolla to use for a daily driver.

My regular vehicle is a 14 Silverado Double Cab with a decent SQ system. JL Stealthbox EYED through a Helix. So I k on what good sub bass should sound like. Not looking for anything close in this Carolla build.

But just looking for opinions on covering my Sub stage, some what decently, without a box in the trunk or back seat.

Bit has anyone out there done 6x9 IB subs in a rear deck and had decent luck with them?

Thank you for all opinions fellow Car Audio enthusiasts!

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
346 Posts

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Since you're used to what a full setup would contain and sound like (in your truck), there's no point in trying to convince you to go past what you desire. A beefy set of 6x9" subs (CDT?) should give you enough bottom end to make it sound fuller while keeping it minimalistic. I see nothing wrong with that route as long as you accept the limitations.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
s CDT makes a 6 x 9 sub that I heard does fairly well. I think Tang Band also had one. I will also say that if you are using the rear deck, many have fired an 8" inch through the 6 x 9 opening. I think someone above mentioned that. 6 x 9 subs work, you just have to be realistic with output

·
Super Moderator
1,024 Posts
Reactions: ribrown

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I realize they would never sound like a true well built sub enclosure. Just thought it might be an easy drop in solution for some low end in a budget build and I'm plenty happy with good front stage full range only, (no rears). I've never heard any Infinite Baffle subs before. Just curious if anyone else out there has done that and what they thought. I thank you all kindly for the replies!

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
PowerBass makes a decent 6x9 OEM replacement sub that is dual 4 ohm. I have one in one of my cars and it provides a decent amount of bass to round out the system. As mentioned, it won't be what you are used to, but it will be loads better than stock. It won't be an expensive endeavor to try.

·
Super Moderator
1,024 Posts
Here's another thought (not sure if it is true) - to get that real low bass, subs work best in an enclosure, while your entire trunk area is certainly an enclosure, it is not a tuned and sized enclosure, the way that a wooden box is.

So dropping 6x9 "Subwoofers" in your rear deck lid, without a true enclosure may turn them into into just being "Woofers" - meaning you could lose all the low-end frequencies you were hoping for from your Subwoofers.

Does this sound right anyone?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yeah, I realize they would never sound like a true well built sub enclosure. Just thought it might be an easy drop in solution for some low end in a budget build and I'm plenty happy with good front stage full range only, (no rears). I've never heard any Infinite Baffle subs before. Just curious if anyone else out there has done that and what they thought. I thank you all kindly for the replies!
You'd be extremely impressed with a pair of 8's in your back dash. I went through several different 8's until I found (with the help of I think bayboy) 8's that work EXTREMELY well in my back deck. It sounds better than any of the multiple subs i've had in the trunk. I had considered 6x9's too because I remember back in the day those massive JBL 6x9's would slam, But I didnt really see anything that caught my eye except maybe the cdt's. I settled on a set of cerwin vega "vega" 8's and I bought them with the option of being able to return them if they didnt do what I wanted.....well theY far exceeded my expectations. My son has 04 regular cab silverado with a 10" american bass sub on a punch 500 and my 8's hit harder.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's another thought (not sure if it is true) - to get that real low bass, subs work best in an enclosure, while your entire trunk area is certainly an enclosure, it is not a tuned and sized enclosure, the way that a wooden box is.

So dropping 6x9 "Subwoofers" in your rear deck lid, without a true enclosure may turn them into into just being "Woofers" - meaning you could lose all the low-end frequencies you were hoping for from your Subwoofers.

Yeah, I know all this......

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The 8”s is will not fit in the rear deck of a Corolla with those adapters… too tall. IF you are willing to cut the plastic trim that goes over it then you’re good.. but it will hit the plastic trim.. not a lot of room… take a look at the OEM 6x9s and you will understand what I mean… they only stick up about an inch…

With custom adapters… possibly… but I have my doubts.. the adapters mentioned here appear to be for the front door locations of Toyota’s like a Camry… corollas only have 6x9 in the rear… up front is 6.5” only

·
Registered
8,109 Posts

Doesn't sound right to me at all. The cone area is there to produce decent low end. We've done it for years back in the early days. The truth is most get it wrong or overthink it as you'd be surprised how much low end you still achieve using a seemingly high Fs and Qts driver in IB combined with cabin gain.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 JL900/5 NVXvad2 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
1,793 Posts
Is there any chance of running 6x9s in prefabricated enclosures, skillfully suspend them from under the deck and use something like fast rings or something to seal and direct the bass energy into the cabin? I’m guessing if it was me, I’d make a 2” mdf spacer around the outer diameter of the 6x9s and from there add the foam rings to seal it while allowing the woofers excursion.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
You know, if it really was me lol, I’d consider what I just posted but with 8” small enclosure subwoofers, much much more choices 👍👍

·
Registered
74 Posts
Years ago I ran a pair of 6x9's mounted to the rear deck of a sedan. The mid-bass was good. No adapters, no boxes. And no low bass. Basically, forget about the bottom one and one half octaves. That's what I think you'll get.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Without walling off behind the rear seat and stiffening the parcel shelf there will be major losses in areas of output from the rear wave intermingling with the front wave.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The 8”s is will not fit in the rear deck of a Corolla with those adapters… too tall. IF you are willing to cut the plastic trim that goes over it then you’re good.. but it will hit the plastic trim.. not a lot of room… take a look at the OEM 6x9s and you will understand what I mean… they only stick up about an inch…

With custom adapters… possibly… but I have my doubts.. the adapters mentioned here appear to be for the front door locations of Toyota’s like a Camry… corollas only have 6x9 in the rear… up front is 6.5” only
Could you bottom mount them?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Could you bottom mount them?
Yes... but the hole may be a tad small.. but there’s plenty of room to put a spacer on the bottom if you want to make an adapter to put them underneath.. I know for sure a 7” you could get away with. I’m sure you get away with an 8 inch with the right adapter coming from the bottom.. Here are some pictures of the stock six by nines out of my Toyota Corolla just so you have some references.. notice how they’re not very thick the foam on top of them which seals up against the plastic trim cover that goes on the rear deck there’s only about an inch of room.. so depends on how big the basket and cone of the driver is you’re trying to fit in there..

Tape measure Light Automotive tire Measuring instrument Ruler

Automotive tire Rim Spoke Automotive wheel system Circle

Sleeve Collar Dress shirt Blazer Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 28 Posts