DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Here's another thought (not sure if it is true) - to get that real low bass, subs work best in an enclosure, while your entire trunk area is certainly an enclosure, it is not a tuned and sized enclosure, the way that a wooden box is.

So dropping 6x9 "Subwoofers" in your rear deck lid, without a true enclosure may turn them into into just being "Woofers" - meaning you could lose all the low-end frequencies you were hoping for from your Subwoofers.

Does this sound right anyone?
This is why i would just try to get a good 6x9 or 8 in the front doors instead

(Assuming the Corolla uses the same front door size as the rear)

i don’t know if OP will have a DSP but i can tell you i ran Audiofrog GS690’s subless for a while and if you put a 12db Butterworth filter on the low end they’ll give you decent low output (maybe why Crutchfield lists them as woofer/subs)

I currently have these brackets with Audiofrog GS8’s in front doors which is a even better option for you if budget allows it…

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This is why i would just try to get a good 6x9 or 8 in the front doors instead

(Assuming the Corolla uses the same front door size as the rear)

i don’t know if OP will have a DSP but i can tell you i ran Audiofrog GS690’s subless for a while and if you put a 12db Butterworth filter on the low end they’ll give you decent low output (maybe why Crutchfield lists them as woofer/subs)

I currently have these brackets with Audiofrog GS8’s in front doors which is a even better option for you if budget allows it…
Yeah, just want to do a decent somewhat budget build. So I was thinking of using the Dayton DSP. I do have a spare Helix, but I want to sell that sucker. But who knows. Might just wind up keeping it and using it in the Corolla. But front doors have factory 6.5s, so I don't think 8s would fit without a lot of modification, which I really don't want to do. This is just a second vehicle for bouncing back and forth to work in and to save some money on gas since it's so damn expensive now. And also to cut some of the milage on my nice truck.

I had considered taking out the the rear OEM 6x9s and just putting a sub box in the trunk and letting the sound vent through the open grills. But I kinda want the trunk space. So just thought some Infinite baffle 6x9 woofers might carry SOME of the low end duties. I am fully aware that they won't sound near as good as even a good 10 in a seal enclosure. But for this build, convince and economy is important. Just want something to sound decent.

Thanks for all the replies, and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

·
Registered
367 Posts
You could look at some 6.5sub woofers also? Just an Idea,and put like 200 watts on them prob be plenty enough for a small commute car. Go Jerry on it and get 2 6x9 sealed enclosures, 2, 6x9-6.50 adapters, screw the enclosure down, throw a 6.5 sub in and wire them up to a small amplifier> LOL. Should work if you Do not pick up a set of CDT.Id still run some power to the CDT 6x9 subs though. Hu power deff will be lacking

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi there. Anyone have any experience using 6x9 "subs" in the rear deck of a sedan? I know this is not optimal for good sub bass, but I want to put a budget system in an 09 Toyota Carolla to use for a daily driver.

My regular vehicle is a 14 Silverado Double Cab with a decent SQ system. JL Stealthbox EYED through a Helix. So I k on what good sub bass should sound like. Not looking for anything close in this Carolla build.

But just looking for opinions on covering my Sub stage, some what decently, without a box in the trunk or back seat.

Bit has anyone out there done 6x9 IB subs in a rear deck and had decent luck with them?

Thank you for all opinions fellow Car Audio enthusiasts!
Back in early 90’s Boston acoustic mad a component set with 6x9 subs and a a pair of 4” I believe. Really I just remember the IB 6x9 which I enjoyed.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts