DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm still deciding on my front midbass........how do you think these two drivers would compare to one another. I could probably fit a slim Illusion Audio 8" (or maybe even a 10") carbon or luccent series driver into my door with less custom work than usual OR I could go with something like the seas nextel 7" or comparable (npdangs driver or maybe the new AA mid)

I've heard lot s of good things about illusion drivers, so have any of you guys have any experience with them? how do you think these would stack up?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've used both the LM-8 and the nd-8. I haven't used any seas drivers (though i am going to change that soon).

I don't think you can go wrong with illusion, assuming you can find them. They sound great, and will sound great off of as little as 75W. However, keep in mind that the illusion drivers are 9" across and the seas driver you mentioned is less than 7". They are harder to fit than you would think; even though they are shallow, they are very large.

·
Registered
415 Posts
you want to use an 8" up to how high (freq)?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
neither driver will be used past 400-500 hz......just a dedicated midbass. I can fit the nextel and similar drivers with very little extra work at all....I think I'm mostly looking for the best combo of clean output and accuracy possible.....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Keep going. The illusion nd-8, the origial ones, are some of the best car audio drivers of all time. They can play up into the 2k range, and down past 60. They even sold them bundled as a component set as the nd-8.1 Very cappable, and highly articulate drivers, they are fast. I have had a ton of drivers, and i will never sell my nd-8's. The nd-10's, are pretty good as a midbass driver too, i have had them up into the mid 600's to try and cross with the ch-1 horns.
Hans

·
Registered
122 Posts
They havent made them for about 5 years. They are starting to make them again, but the drivers are manufactured out in india, and the quality is not as good. It seems as though they have also changed the motor, as the suspension isnt as stiff.
Hans

·
Registered
415 Posts
have you ever heard that saying.. "car audio is a joke compared to home audio" ..or something along those lines...?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
10K2HVN said:
have you ever heard that saying.. "car audio is a joke compared to home audio" ..or something along those lines...?
the illusion drivers are widely used in the newer flat panel/wall speakers now :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts