DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get some advice with planning out a total makeover for my 2003 Honda Accord Coupe. At this point I'm just trying to decide the layout of the speakers. I was hoping someone might have some experience with this particular line of cars (7th Gen 2-door Honda Accords basically)? At the very bottom are a couple reference pics of the slightly weird shape of the car (steeply sloped front and rear windshield).

Everything is still stock except I've already put in a custom head unit before, and ran some way too small wires to a crappy sub in the trunk which will be replaced with quality 0 gauge. Also planning to do the big 3 and probably even get a HO alternator just so I don't have to worry about running out of power. So the stock tweeters are way up near the very front of the windshield, with some 6"s in the doors and 6x9's on the rear deck.

This will be used to listen to ~90% electronic or otherwise bass heavy music, but definitely going for SQ. I am not a fan of hearing damage so I'm really not worried about going over 100db. Sort of loosely going for the car equivalent of my combo home computer/theater setup, SVS PB13-Ultra + 2x Barefoot MM27 beasts from the pro audio world -- I'd like to hear great SQ but just have it rattle my bones a bit more in car. Basically money is of little concern within reason, I just don't want to waste any buying over-hyped expensive things that really can't back their price tags up with truly better performance.

I keep reading how nearly all SQ setups would never even consider using rear speakers, but I'm wondering if putting some 6" midbass's in the rear (not going to mess with the 6x9 shape for obvious reason) might actually work out OK, given the weird shape of my car, with the midranges in the doors and replaced tweeters all the way up front? I do plan on getting a MiniDSP or something similar and setting my timings etc properly.

Or with this particular car do I really need to go with kickers for tweeters+midrange and put the midbass in the door and just not have any rear speakers? Can't decide if having the tweeters so far up front is a good or bad thing. There will definitely be a sub in the trunk either war of course. [still debating an Ultimo 12" or possibly a JL 12W6v2 but I really just need to hear both at this point]

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've got a 2006 Accord 4-door & had the same goals and like the same type of music and ended up really happy with my setup and using stock locations (including tweeters in the corner by the windshield). Sounds horrible without EQ'ing & TA though. Had rear deck speakers but got rid of them, didn't add anything and I hardly ever have people in the back. I have the sub pointed through the arm rest hole in the rear seat btw.

It even sounded good when I was using the passive crossovers before I went active. The staging is higher now though and can get much louder since going active.

Here's my system diagram:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts