DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I want to buy a 4 channel TRF M600.4AB amplifier (600 watt RMS, 1200 watt max) and connect to it a 12" TRF VLSW122D2 Subwoofer (250 watt RMS) and 2 front JBL Stage 2 604C speakers (6.5'', 45 watt RMS each).
Should i use an 8 AWG power cable to my amp or an 4 AWG?
Also what gauge wire should i use for my speakers? 12 AWG is ok or thinner?

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
4ga for the power and 12ga is fine for the speakers, but thinner could be used. Also, why is this in technical & advanced? The answers should all be in the owners manual.

Reactions: Drifter mike

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
491 Posts
You haven't specified the length of power cable run, which can have a big effect. Assuming it's front battery to trunk, 8ga may be sufficient, but when in doubt, go bigger. I'd do 4ga. Since it's a hassle to remove lots of trim pieces to run power cable, it's worth considering that if you think you'll be adding additional (or swapping to more powerful) amps in the future, running more/larger cables to accommodate that makes some sense.

Reactions: Drifter mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4ga for the power and 12ga is fine for the speakers, but thinner could be used. Also, why is this in technical & advanced? The answers should all be in the owners manual.
Thanks. I just haven't bought the amp yet and i can't find anywhere the manual on the internet. So i am doing a little research and ask people's opinion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You haven't specified the length of power cable run, which can have a big effect. Assuming it's front battery to trunk, 8ga may be sufficient, but when in doubt, go bigger. I'd do 4ga. Since it's a hassle to remove lots of trim pieces to run power cable, it's worth considering that if you think you'll be adding additional (or swapping to more powerful) amps in the future, running more/larger cables to accommodate that makes some sense.
The cable length will be about 3,5-4 m depending on the route the cable will follow (from the battery under passenger's feet to the trunk). Ok so i will stick with 4 ga.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'd go with 0 gauge. Just in case I want to upgrade later. I've bought alot of different 0 gauge from different companies. I like knukonceptz stuff to be better quality and cheaper. But what ever you get make sure it's OFC

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I'd go with 0 gauge. Just in case I want to upgrade later. I've bought alot of different 0 gauge from different companies. I like knukonceptz stuff to be better quality and cheaper. But what ever you get make sure it's OFC
no.

Reactions: RedSquare and CCole

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
491 Posts
Yeah, next car I'll probably run a 0 and be done with it. First install was done in a shop, ran two 8ga wires. I eventually added a 4ga. These three wires combined is roughly equivalent to a single 2ga. This has been sufficient for my SQ, but plays loudly, setup. If I were doing it again, a 0ga would be a set it and forget it situation.

I think if you are anything short of certain whether a wire is big enough, you have to go the next size up.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah, next car I'll probably run a 0 and be done with it. First install was done in a shop, ran two 8ga wires. I eventually added a 4ga. These three wires combined is roughly equivalent to a single 2ga. This has been sufficient for my SQ, but plays loudly, setup. If I were doing it again, a 0ga would be a set it and forget it situation.

I think if you are anything short of certain whether a wire is big enough, you have to go the next size up.
I agree, I rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. My fist install on my car I had 4 gauge ran for a sub amp and I ran new speakers on the factory amp. Then on the current install I had them run 0 gauge and I have 4 amps and 2 lithium batteries in the trunk. I have minimal voltage drop on around 5k total with the stock alternator. If I had ran 0 to begin with it would gave saves a little time and money.

·
Registered
267 Posts
@ItsonlyaHONDA
here we talk about power wire for 600w amp, not for lithium bank suported system. Even so 0 gauge wire can't be fitted in those amp's terminals.
I never said to shove 0 gauge into his amp, and with some reducers you probly could. My point was if he ever wanted to upgrade his amp or add an other one, running 0 gauge will save him the trouble of running wire again. I personally will never use anything under 0 gauge ever again. But that's just me.

·
Registered
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss Crew Cab
2,132 Posts
The manufactures website says they have 6g power terminals. They do not specify if this is also the recommended size though. It also states the speaker terminals are also 6g so....

·
Registered
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss Crew Cab
2,132 Posts
You all ever heard of Class D amps?
What does that have to do with the topic at hand? The recommendation for larger wire is for future proofing an install if say one decides to add more amps or go bigger amps.

Reactions: Chriswilkin22

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes, but I have 4 of them in my build. 1 requires 0 gauge. I've also been eyeing a salt 6k and that one requires 3 0 gauge. I may settle with the 4k. But I have yet to fully try my mmats lsx4000.1. I have issues. Lol haven't posted my build yet, but I'm extra at work tonight I may take some time to do that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts