DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Dodge Charger that has a built in 8-inch sub in the rear deck that I'm wanting to replace. I'm looking to keep as stock looking as possible so putting in the rear deck is my main goal. I'm looking for ideas on how to do this as well as box measurements, wanting to do ported. I have bought the swr-843d and the box should be .70 ft^3.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also was thinking of building a column type box, so it goes from the rear deck to the floor of the trunk. This way I dont have to worry about support for the deck.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Looks like you've already answered your own question. As for beefing up the deck. Take the plastic panel out, sound deaden the trunk and the rear deck metal, and put a layer of suede or neoprene, or maybe simply some weather stripping which takes less money and effort, and stick it in between the plastic deck panel and the metal itself to minimize rattles. I'm sure the factory amplifier would be a terrible choice on really any aftermarket sub, with whatever FR set up for the OE driver, as well as it probably being not very good or powerful enough in general. What's your front stage situation, because you don't want to pull your soundstage backwards with a baller read deck sub and some goldwood grade from speakers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as far as amp I have Alpine m500, should be enough to push it. Radio I'm getting next week but thinking pioneer x930bt. So as far as box the column I believe is the best idea, can someone help me out with box size? Then I can build the column as needed with the box contained in it.

thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you wanna get real factory, just leave the factory setup intact and get a bazooka tube. Don't let anyone tell you they're garbage because they are actually really nice for what they are. Just disconnect the rear deck sub and stick the bazooka tube under your seat and call it a day. Or get more trick and build your own design around the sub you picked up. If your not familiar with the idea of Q, I would familiarize yourself with that first, in order to determine the size of enclosure your going for. Quite simply, different sizes mean different sounds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty much setup with 8 and the amp at this point. The enclosure needs to be .7 ft^3, and I want it to be ported for lower bass. So any help on that? Not really sure about the dimensions, not to picky on the freq just needs to sound good.

thanks

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I would assume the .7 cubes is for a sealed box though

·
Registered
148 Posts
off the alpine site, it says you can use as an IB setup, if you want to try it out like that. but as for the box, you have to first decide where you want the port to shoot, the column type might seem like the way to go.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I use to have a swr-843d but I gave it to a friend since I don't have any use for it now (I have a 15"). This sub does very well in a .25 cub ft sealed enclosure and good in a .4 or larger ported box.

If you read the alpine swr-843d/823d thread on this forum Jim Walter, an Alpine Engineer, said it can perform well in infinite baffle and he said it is possible to power only one of the voice coils in order to make the parameters more suitable for IB usage, the only draw back is that is will reduce the power handling of the sub since you will be only using one voice coil. I would message him and try to talk to him about this in more detail since he would be the best person to talk to about the sub.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/106292-alpine-swr-823d-game-over.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts