DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i got a question.
im looking in to getting just 2 8 inch subs, but i want some that are still going to be very loud. ive heard very good things about sundowns sa 8's, also ive seen some jl w7 8's and seen how loud they are. the only problem with the jl's are the price.

so im asking what would you guys recommend for 2 8 inch subs?

the box i have right now is made for 12s but i was either going to change the box or just build a new one. the box is for underneath my back seat in a 00 gmc sierra ex cab. each side of the box is 1 cubic foot of air space.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
digitial designs makes some pretty beefy 8" as well. 500W RMS. model 1508 prolly about $200, since they MSRP for $250, lol.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Some people talking about the new alpine 8. There are some threads on here comparing the common big xmax 8s but I don't know where, check reviews maybe there. They can go quite loud if you don't try to get real low with them.

·
Banned
60 Posts
ive been doing a ton of research on 8's recently and the only 2 I would buy currently are the sundown sa8 or the DD1508.. personally im going with the sa8 due to price and i hear great things about their customer service which is a huge plus if/when a problem arises.

·
Premium Member
6,046 Posts
okay i got a question.
im looking in to getting just 2 8 inch subs, but i want some that are still going to be very loud. ive heard very good things about sundowns sa 8's, also ive seen some jl w7 8's and seen how loud they are. the only problem with the jl's are the price.

so im asking what would you guys recommend for 2 8 inch subs?

the box i have right now is made for 12s but i was either going to change the box or just build a new one. the box is for underneath my back seat in a 00 gmc sierra ex cab. each side of the box is 1 cubic foot of air space.
If you want a sub to get loud, the type of box that you use has a much greater impact than who you buy it from. For instance, a vented box or a tapped horn may give three or six dB more output than a sealed box.

All of this assumes you have plenty of power on tap. If you don't, then the first priority is to buy the biggest amplifier that you're alternator can handle.

If you can find the space, a tapped horn with one of the Alpine eights should do the job nicely. The Sundown subs can take a lot of abuse, but their T/S parameters aren't optimum for the most efficient alignments. (IE, the Sundown isn't well suited to a tapped horn or a vented box.)

·
Registered
55 Posts
If he only has a cube under the rear seat its highly unlikely he is gonna be able to fit a horn type enclosure, and they are very difficult to built and tune especially when factoring in cabin gain. to the original poster, why are you limited yourself to 8's when your box is built for 12's?

·
Registered
119 Posts
In your truck you can easily get 6" of mounting depth, and 6 3/4" if you get a little more creative with the box with a downfiring configuration. That leaves a lot of options for many sized speakers, but especially 8's.

The Sundown SA-8 would fit your build with 1 cu ft per ported, and have some serious output for an 8" sub.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
In your truck you can easily get 6" of mounting depth, and 6 3/4" if you get a little more creative with the box with a downfiring configuration. That leaves a lot of options for many sized speakers, but especially 8's.

The Sundown SA-8 would fit your build with 1 cu ft per ported, and have some serious output for an 8" sub.
....and they sound like one note wonders IMO :laugh:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If he only has a cube under the rear seat its highly unlikely he is gonna be able to fit a horn type enclosure, and they are very difficult to built and tune especially when factoring in cabin gain. to the original poster, why are you limited yourself to 8's when your box is built for 12's?
im not limiting myself to 8's right now i have two 12 inch mtx jack hammers that im thinking about just putting in there.

i am just looking for a new system. and i have heard great reviews about these sundown 8's and how loud they can be.

i am open to any type of suggestions on any subs and any size. i am also open to raising my seat up, up to 2 inchs to get more air space. the main factor is money. im not trying to spend a ton but i am willing to spend money on something that i know is good or that i hear good reviews about.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
IMO the Alpine's are a lot better bang for the buck:rolleyes:
If you can only fit one, the dd is going to be WAY louder and they actually sound pretty good if done correct! If you can fit two swr's vs one dd, then I would say swr all day long! They are absolutely awesome subs across the board!

Another sub to look at (that I am sure will meet some resistance by some ignorant folk) if you want output, is the 8" L7. It will compete VERY well with the DD in output for a little less $$. AND DESPITE WHAT SOME WILL THINK OR WANT TO SAY...... THEY CAN ALSO SOUND GREAT! as long as you know what your doing!!! I would put all 3 above the SA8 personally.

·
Registered
55 Posts
an 8 would have to have a lot of excursion to even come close to a 12, and high excursion will mean considerably more power and lower efficiency. If loud is the goal, bigger is generally better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you are trying to get loud with some 8"ers on a budget, I'd give the American Bass XD-844 a shot. $89 a piece dual-4ohm 300 watts rms and they look like fun. I've never heard them but I want a pair myself.

American Bass XD844

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
IMO the Alpine's are a lot better bang for the buck:rolleyes:
could be. never seen the alpine in action. shop near me ran (1) 1508 on a 1kw amp in a 1cuft port box. hit 141dB. if that isnt bang for the buck i dont know what is (cant speak to what it sounded like though, lol )

·
Premium Member
6,046 Posts
I agree.

If you don't have the space for an exotic enclosure, and you want to get loud, your best option is to simply purchase the biggest amplifier that you can afford, then find a woofer that can move a lot of air. Focus on SD and xmax, and don't get wrapped up on whether one brand is superior to another. Dayton has some nice subs that meet this criteria.

·
Premium Member
6,046 Posts
I'd take this one over all the subs mentionned in this thread :p Even the JL

Kelvin
I've got the TC Sounds and the Alpine here, and I gotta say, the Alpine is pretty damn nice. Both of them are good subs, I'm just a little shocked how nice the Alpine is at the price. (About $104 delivered.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
okay well i guess since all of you guys have very different ideas which im thankful for.
i guess i should ask, If you guys had the same truck as me what would you guys do?
i wanna know sub brands, size, amps. im just really wanting a new system. like i said earlier i am on a budget since i am a college student. but im willing to spend money on good quality equipment.

here is a link for the box i have now. https://www.soundoffaudio.com/item.cfm/id/2244
plus i am willing to build a new box to get more air space if needed.

so if i could get some feedback it would be great.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts