DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Infiniti QX80
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be ordering 2-8 inch subs for my vehicle. I'm looking for mostly SQ but some really good output as well. The last three that I have narrowed it down to is the SSA f8L, Image Dynamics idq8 and the Dayton Ultimax. I can probably squeeze 3 idqs versus 2 of the others. Which would be the best choice to get great SQ and SPL(as much as a pair of 8s can give me). I'm ordering tonight or first thing tomorrow.

Image dynamics idq8

Dayton Audio Ultimax:
Resonant Frequency (Fs)31.6HzDC Resistance (Re)4.2ΩVoice Coil Inductance (Le)1.14mHMechanical Q (Qms)2.51Electromagnetic
Q (Qes)0.75Total
Q (Qts)0.58Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)0.75ft³Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)0.33mm/NBL Product (BL)9.1T·mMaximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)16mmSurface Area of Cone (Sd)211.2cm

SSA F8L:
Fs: 32.1hz
Re: 4ohmQms: 4.31
Qes: 0.27
Qts: 0.25
Rms: 6.7 kg/s
Cms: 0.17 mm/N
Mms: 143.5 gr
Bl: 20.8 N/A
SPL: 82.6 db
Vas: 9.7 L
Rp: 57.0 ohm
Lp: 70.0 mH
Cp: 496.4 uF
FLe 3.16 mH
Sd: 201.93cm²
Xmax: 15mm

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I think the question comes down to the other aspects. How much power, how much airspace, how much money are you willing to spend?

Of your choices, I'd likely go with the ultimax, but maybe consider the Dayton HO as well? When people are in your situation, they usually go with the 8w7 if budget allows.

The alpine type R and. Rockford p3 also get pretty good reception in the 8" size too.

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
I would choose the ID8 over the IDQ if you go that route. I would choose the audiomobile evo 8's that i have over both. By far.

·
Registered
2014 Infiniti QX80
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would have to change sub amps and I have very little room. My Rockford 750 would give them way more than they would be able to handle.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
You'll be fine with that amp, just turn your gain down accordingly. I know a guy who has a trio of ID8s in a sealed box powered by a 3k watt amp. I'm pretty sure they're only seeing a fraction of that power.

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
I have a single idq8 sealed on 500 watts and for that it’s impressive! @Niebur3 is an authorized Image Dynamics dealer if you decide to go that route.

·
Premium Member
6,661 Posts
It is usually wiser to consider where they will Ben mounted, and whether it is IB, sealed or ported.
After that is done, then figuring out which sub gets easier.

Starting with a subwoofer is usually harder, and the install constraints with space and location move that to the forefront in terms of planning.

·
Registered
9,097 Posts
Start with the enclosure size, and type, then model what works best. Figure out how much space you are willing to give up, then choose the subs that model best in what you’ve got to work with.

·
Registered
2014 Infiniti QX80
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The subs are going in the rear center console in a large SUV firing down. The box will be sealed. The space that I have after displacement of 2 of the 8s is around 1.2. I just took the console out on yesterday just to make sure and I can fit 1 10 as well. I know surface area is king but the ID max is a step up from the IDQ's and the icon or GCon is a step up from the F8Ls

·
Premium Member
6,661 Posts
The subs are going in the rear center console in a large SUV firing down. The box will be sealed. The space that I have after displacement of 2 of the 8s is around 1.2. I just took the console out on yesterday just to make sure and I can fit 1 10 as well. I know surface area is king but the ID max is a step up from the IDQ's and the icon or GCon is a step up from the F8Ls
With that size box it is either sealed or PRs...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Kappa 800W. Not just because of the price. They sound and perform incredibly. They require almost zero airspace. They hit like Tyson on coke installed in a hatch.

EDIT: if you have the room to step up to the 10" version, all the better. I run the 12s and they're amazing.

They require 10 hrs break in prior to thrashing them though! Don't get impatient.

·
Registered
2014 Infiniti QX80
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would have to do 2 8s. All of The specs look good on infinities except for the x max. 9.25 is pretty low, that's Not impressive at all in comparison with some other subs. That is a great price but do I want a little output.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah, the xmax on the 12s isn't impressive either. Yet they sound killer. Xmax isn't everything.

If you're really concerned, buy them from Crutchfield with 60 day returns. I have been doing this for a few years, and I can vouch - the Kappas put out plenty of bass, and it is Clean.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts