DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at adding 2 midbass drivers in the door was needing some suggestions I dont know a whole lot about adding midbass drivers this is my first attempt so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks for any help, Mauricio

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
You cannot get helpful suggestions without providing the following: (1) what vehicle; (2) how deep are the doors; (3) what else comprises your system (speakers, amplifiers, etc.); (4) what amplifier do you plan to use for the midbass; (5) do you plan to use a subwoofer as well; and (6) your budget.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dynaudio MW170

Ultra LV8 or even the LV6

·
Registered
336 Posts
Peerless SLS Series 8" Coated Paper Cone Woofer 8 ohm - 830667

If you've already got a component set with large format midranges (like in a regular 5.25" or 6.5" component set) and just want to add some very good, low cost midbass drivers to ease the load on your components and really strengthen up your midbass, these might just be the ones for you. You'll have to have plenty of power though, and be able to make room for 4" of mounting depth.

A lot of bang for the buck here if you're doing something along these lines -- right now they're on sale for under $100/pr. Do a search for 830667 if they sound like something you could use.

I just pulled the trigger today. I'm going to try them out in the doors to complement my 6.5" component set in the kickpanels, and 10" sealed subs in back. I'll be pushing 125watts to each of the Peerless 8's at 8ohms. I'd like to have a little more power for them, but I'll start there and see how they do.

Buzzman is right on though... we really need more info to steer you in the right direction. Good luck with your project.

Wait. Are you talking about two 8" speakers in each door? That's my backup plan if just the first pair doesn't cut it. Increases the load on the amplifier to 4ohms/ch too for better efficiency.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport (2 door) I'm not to sure how deep my doors are but I was planning on doing some fiberglass work I have some good space to work with though. I have 2 RD Sonance 15" fixing to go in a sealed box and my components are RD Alpha Comps 6.5.

I don't have an amp chosen for drivers because I don't know what drivers I'm getting I'm choosing amp depending on what kind of drivers I choose. I have no budget I'm willing to check anything out. And no zacjones only one 1 in each door

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I agree that the 8" SLS is pretty unbeatable when it comes to cost to performance ratio. You can spend a lot more money and still not come to the performance level of the SLS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well after reading some reviews those do really seem like a very solid option. Anyone know of a trusted site to order them from or someone to contact?

Zacjones is that a well trusted site?

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
Alright I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport (2 door) I'm not to sure how deep my doors are but I was planning on doing some fiberglass work I have some good space to work with though. I have 2 RD Sonance 15" fixing to go in a sealed box and my components are RD Alpha Comps 6.5.
Well, you really do need to determine how much depth your doors can accommodate, even with the fiberglass work you are planning. Some of the drivers suggested to you require a lot of depth in order to work effectively, and some require a sealed enclosure in order to work optimally.

Also, what are you planning to do with the mid-bass drivers from your current component set? Will you be using them as midranges in a 3-way set-up with the 8's in the doors, or are you looking to have a 2-way set-up using the 8's in the doors? If so, how low can your current tweeters effectively play?

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
the morel elate 9" works really well for midbass and has a shallower mounting depth...just another option to consider
Morel Loudspeakers - Mobile Audio - Subwoofers - Elate SW
The Elate 9 requires an enclosure for best performance. If the OP is going to consider Morel as an option, and plans to mount the drivers IB in the doors, then he is better off with either the Supremo 9 or the ADMW 9 both of which have much higher Qts ratings and are more suitable for IB door mounting.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I'll give another nod to the Peerless SLS. I have them in my doors (I've had to do alot of fiberglass work to squeeze them in, but well worth it) and can tell you first hand that they kick ass. Very good impact and low frequency response. They also get moving pretty well with moderate power. As an example, I first powered them with an 80 watts per channel Arc amp and they were great.

You can see my build thread in my sig which has some pics and details.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts