DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

8" midbass madness!! AD W800NEO (sold), Audison AP8 (sold), AD SW800 (sold)

15K views 158 replies 33 participants last post by  zacjones99 
#1 · (Edited)
Up for sale I have

1. 8 3 pairs of W800NEO
2. SW800 3 pairs (SOLD)
3. Audison AP8 2 pairs (SOLD)

Condition
1. BNIB
2. BNIB, one box was opened for inspection and photos
3. BNIB

Price
1. $600 shipped
2. $700 shipped
3. $200 shipped

Pricing is good, no lowballers please.

See less See more
#4 ·
Not sure. They're pretty slim and very efficient though.

#17 ·
Another thing I noticed is that these drivers are really lightweight at under 2.5# as well as super shallow. I'd feel really good about putting them in doors as they're so incredibly lightweight. My other 8 inch drivers that I have lying around are at least 5# each.

#19 ·
1st post updated. 6 pairs of W800NEO remaining.

#22 ·
6 pairs of NEO's left, sales pending on 2 more pairs to make it 4...

#27 ·
Anything that was paid for got shipped out today, 3-day UPS Select on all of them except the package to Arizona. I figured Arizona was going to be 3 days from California no matter what, so went with regular UPS ground on that one. Thanks everyone!

5 pairs W800NEO left
2 pair Audison AP8 left

#30 · (Edited)
These aren't full parameters, but they're good enough. I got pretty good results by entering Qms, Qts, Fs, Re, BL, Sd, Xmax (I divided Xmax in 2 because I just can't believe the listed xmax is 19mm one-way) in that order and letting it calculate the rest.

Reactions: SloVic and Dr. Who
#31 ·
I loaded the attached picture into a CAD program and captured some relative dimensions. According to this drawing Xmech_max one way is about 6.5mm. That's about 13mm peak to peak. From this I would expect LINEAR Xmax to be around 5mm one way.

I have no idea why AD published that silly number but it is physically impossible given the drawing they provided. Still a promising driver. I wish Fs was a tad lower but don't necessarily need this for a dedicated midbass.

Ge0

#32 · (Edited)
This post was edited due to the foul taste of sticking my foot in my mouth.

Fantastic work Ge0, how did you come up with that figure exactly?

#34 ·
Here is just a crude representation of my train of thought using a paint program vs. CAD.

Take the known dimension of 56mm and divide by ten.

The gap between the bottom of thew voice coil and bottom pole piece is a little greater than 5.6mm. This is to prevent a hard collision between voice coil and the pole piece which I call XMAXmech.

From this same crude diagram you can see that about 5mm of coil travel can occur while still keeping coil in the magnetic gap. This is what I called XMAXlinear.

So, not the 19mm advertised. But, 5mm is still pretty respectful in its class group. The best I've seen in this class is the Gs690 at 5.5mm. My Dyn MW182's are 4.6mm. The Audison AP8's are 3.5mm.

Ge0

#35 ·
Great work Geo. Now I see how you got there. Thanks!

#37 · (Edited)
It means the "ideal" enclosure size in a sealed configuration is a minimum of .59cf for this driver to get to Qtc .707. I think people have gone smaller and enjoyed the result, but it's not considered ideal. If you don't have that kind of space available, it's probably best to make them free air. Many people swear by that ideal Qtc, but there as just as many people who find Qtc of .7 too dry, and prefer something closer to say .5, so they would prefer the IB install. For example in my kickpanels, after I cut out a little sheet metal, there's quite a bit of airspace back behind there, so I could get away with sealed. If I feel like I'd like a lower Qtc and want to try free air, I'll just cut out a little vent to the outside in the wheel well. Additionally we have so much processing available these days that with good drivers you can make most installations sound good after tuning.

0.59cf = Qtc of .707
1.0cf = Qtc of .629
2.0cf = Qtc of .563
Free air = Qtc of .484

If it's a daily driver, factor in the car audio environment and road noise and it becomes even less critical.

Also we have to keep in mind that the published specs are already in question with regards to the xmax, so it's hard to say definitively that any of their specs are spot on. These may sound great in that .35-.45cf enclosure... There have been anecdotal reports that they do great in really small sealed situations.

So in a nutshell, a reasonable approach with this driver would be to try the easiest or best cosmetic install 1st, maybe it's sealed, maybe it's free air, depending on your vehicle and setup. If after tuning you just can't get it to sound right to your ears maybe try to find a way to vent the enclosure or seal it up, depending on what path you took.

I am by no means an expert... I know just enough to get myself in trouble, but that's my take anyway.

#39 ·
3 pairs W800NEO left
2 pairs AP8 left

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.