DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Since they seem to have some long throw, bass heavy 6.5" and 7" drivers coming to market soon, is it worth it to try and custom fit an 8" driver up front for my 3-way setup? Or should I just stick with what fits?

All I need is a driver to play 400hz and down cleanly (maybe more like 200 hz and down) and give me low distortion and high output. (be able to play clear at listening levels and get loud and clear when I crank it, SQ still more of a priority though)

How do you think the 7" 'ers stack up?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
has anyone had the chance to compare the Dayton or peerless 8" drivers vs. the 7" offerings from Seas, etc.?

For example, how do you think the Seas Nextel would do compared to the peerless xl8? (or peerless HDS exclusive 8")

·
Registered
280 Posts
I personally think if you want true SQ you can do fine with a dedicated 7" midbass speaker. I have come to learn that sheer punch is a matter of listening taste and not necessarily what an instrument in a particular song produces for sound. Some people want that extra midbass and they think the extra 1" of surface area will make all the difference in the world. It might make a difference but I don't it will enough for one to know especially in a car environment.

I use the Seas L18 in my doors and it performs breaktaking in my opinion. But if you really want to standout, and have low bass coming from the front of you car, one of the easiest ways to do that is add an 8" speaker capable of handling a lot of power. If you will have a subwoofer in your trunk there will be no difference between the 7" or 8" IMO for the frequencies that they should be playing. It is a matter of choosing the correct driver for that purpose.

I hope I helped!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, it's a tough call for me. I think I plan on doing a good, powerful 2 or 3 way front stage first, and then seeing if I really think I need a sub later depending on what I listen to. So if I definitely go with a sub, it probably wouldn't matter, but if I don't, definitely the 8's.

So here's another question: Just on pure output, do yo guys think the common 8" drivers on this forum will outperform some of the future, long throw 7" drivers such as the Seas Nextel, npdang's unit or the AA unit coming out?

I don't really know of any 8" drivers that are designed for as much throw as those are..........

·
Registered
578 Posts
I would take a Dayton RS225 8" (7mm XMAX) or a Peerless XLS 8" (10mm XMAX) over the 7" you mentioned in a 3 way.

I think I read someone said the Peerless XLS 8 are discontinued, so you better make up your mind quick... Specially if you want to try to go without a sub...

Otherwise... stick some Dayton RSS265HF 10" in your doors fro some midbass & low end bliss...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts