DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had enough power say 350-400 per side would you run 8 ohm mids? I have the power to play with and I'm looking at the Morel CAW series. Is there a problem besides cutting power in half?
Comments?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Most of the "mids" that I like are 8 ohms. That amount of power is already way overkill so go for it if that's what you want to do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So whats a good efficient number for a driver? My problem is depth, can't do over 2.75" or 67mm. I also see that certain perameters such as FS and Qts? have to be low for use in a door, what are good numbers for IB installation? Been looking at these to drivers within my price range,

Morel CAW 638 6" Cast Frame Woofer
The Classic Advanced line of woofers is based on Morel’s classic line - the renowned MW series. These products have high power handling due to the aerodynamic Uniflow™ open chassis and large diameter spiders. This woofer has reinforced Ferrite magnets for the double magnet system delivering higher magnetic flux motor, resulting in a low resonance frequency and Qts points. Latest evolution of Morel's MW-164, MW-166, and MW-168 woofers.

Specifications: • Power handling: 150 watts RMS/1,000 watts max • VCdia: 3" • Le: 0.63 mH • Impedance: 8 ohms • Re: 6.4 ohms • Frequency range: 30-5,000 Hz • Fs: 43 Hz • SPL: 86 dB 1W/1m • Vas: 0.56 cu. ft. • Qms: 2.20 • Qes: 0.58 • Qts: 0.46 • Xmax: 4.25 mm • Dimensions: Overall diameter: 6-5/16", Cutout diameter: 5-1/2", Depth: 2-3/4".

Or

Morel EW 638 6" Woofer
Morel Elite Series 6" woofers feature large diameter voice coils, open yet strong frames, advanced composite cones, and carefully engineered magnetic circuits. Frequency response is extremely flat and overall definition is superb. Suitable for the most demanding audio reproduction systems. Latest version of Morel's MW-167, HU-631, and HU-621 drivers.

Specifications: • Power handling: 150 watts RMS/210 watts max • VCdia: 3" • Le: 0.52 mH • Impedance: 8 ohms • Re: 5 ohms • Frequency range: 40-4,000 Hz • Fs: 39 Hz • SPL: 87 dB 1W/1m • Vas: 0.72 cu. ft. • Qms: 1.71 • Qes: 0.39 • Qts: 0.32 • Xmax: 6 mm • Dimensions: Overall diameter: 6.3", Cutout diameter: 5.51", Depth: 2.71".

I'm also open to any favorites anyone uses.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Personally, I am really not a fan of Morel's midbass drivers. Those that I have seen tested have had high distortion compared to competitors - see Zaph|Audio. Not to say that they don't have fans. They do. But I'm not one of them. Not to say that they sound awful, either, because I have heard Morel setups that did actually sound okay. But I'm not going to buy something with measurably higher distortion... period. They may well have other drivers that would test to have lower distortion, but I don't know. If you know of that to be the case or if you don't care for whatever reason then feel free to choose the Morel driver.

Are you specifically looking for 6" diameter drivers?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts