DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Please be gentle I'm a newbie! One of my cones in my Peavey HiSys 2's has blown and I've reached a brick wall.

I've been trying for days now to source a 15", 4ohm, 350 rms replacement with no luck. It seems that they have been discontinued...even other makes like eminence, celestion etc have stopped making 4 ohm 15".

So my question is, would I be able to run a 15", 8ohm speaker alongside the existing 4 ohm tweeter - or would that cause complete melt down?!?!?!

Another think to bear in mind, is that the other speaker is still running a 4 ohm mid-range and tweeter.

Any solutions, suggestions or alternative makes of 15", 4ohm, 350 rms would be very, very, very much appreciated - as I need to sort this before the gig on Friday!!! :surprised::eek::confused:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi Guys,

Please be gentle I'm a newbie! One of my cones in my Peavey HiSys 2's has blown and I've reached a brick wall.

I've been trying for days now to source a 15", 4ohm, 350 rms replacement with no luck. It seems that they have been discontinued...even other makes like eminence, celestion etc have stopped making 4 ohm 15".

So my question is, would I be able to run a 15", 8ohm speaker alongside the existing 4 ohm tweeter - or would that cause complete melt down?!?!?!

Another think to bear in mind, is that the other speaker is still running a 4 ohm mid-range and tweeter.

Any solutions, suggestions or alternative makes of 15", 4ohm, 350 rms would be very, very, very much appreciated - as I need to sort this before the gig on Friday!!! :surprised::eek::confused:
No meltdown. If the woofer is 8ohm your impedance will be more benign. Problem is if it's a passive x-over, your x-over won't be crossing at the correct frequency. Partially because it's 8-ohm (guaranteed to be wrong) and because it isn't the speaker the x-over was designed with (another 4 ohm driver would have the same issue). You might get a bit of a dip in impedance where the mid and woofer cross, but it shouldn't be bad.

If it's an active plate (don't know the speakers), then with the higher impedance you won't get as much power. So hopefully it has a level adjustment if that is the case so you can match the driver levels.

Sorry, I don't know enough about that system. Do you have a link to more info on the speakers?

Mixing impedance is fine btw. It's just the x-overs have to be designed with that in mind. There are plenty of commercial speakers that use 4 or 6ohm tweeters with and 8 ohm woofer or mid.

·
Registered
636 Posts
No meltdown. If the woofer is 8ohm your impedance will be more benign. Problem is if it's a passive x-over, your x-over won't be crossing at the correct frequency. Partially because it's 8-ohm (guaranteed to be wrong) and because it isn't the speaker the x-over was designed with (another 4 ohm driver would have the same issue). You might get a bit of a dip in impedance where the mid and woofer cross, but it shouldn't be bad.

If it's an active plate (don't know the speakers), then with the higher impedance you won't get as much power. So hopefully it has a level adjustment if that is the case so you can match the driver levels.

Sorry, I don't know enough about that system. Do you have a link to more info on the speakers?

Mixing impedance is fine btw. It's just the x-overs have to be designed with that in mind. There are plenty of commercial speakers that use 4 or 6ohm tweeters with and 8 ohm woofer or mid.
Great advice. Run with it.

Have you tried contacting Peavey?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts