DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yes but they will be using less power than a 4 ohm speaker would if connected to the same amplifier.

It is also more difficult to match equipment because most car amps don't give a power rating @ 8 ohms. Just know it will be considerably lower than the 4 ohm rating per channel.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Most speakers will work when given 10-100% of power. Just a general guide which may or may not right, you need a 600W car amplifier for a 300W 8ohm speaker.
I've been running my JL HD750/1 to a 300W 8ohm sub and no problem at all. In fact, the amp run cooler also.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Most speakers will work when given 10-100% of power. Just a general guide which may or may not right, you need a 600W car amplifier for a 300W 8ohm speaker.
I've been running my JL HD750/1 to a 300W 8ohm sub and no problem at all. In fact, the amp run cooler also.
All speakers (that aren't broken) will work on as small amount of power as you can give them, often times listening volumes don't surpass 10%.

You do not NEED a 600 watt amp for a 300 watt 8 ohm speaker, that's nonsense. Generally speaking, an amp produces half the power at 8 ohms that it does a 4 ohms, but this isn't always true. Regardless, the sensitivity of the speaker is important, an 8 ohm speaker with 3db more sensitivity will have the same output on half the power as a 4 ohm speaker on twice the power.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
All speakers (that aren't broken) will work on as small amount of power as you can give them, often times listening volumes don't surpass 10%.

You do not NEED a 600 watt amp for a 300 watt 8 ohm speaker, that's nonsense. Generally speaking, an amp produces half the power at 8 ohms that it does a 4 ohms, but this isn't always true. Regardless, the sensitivity of the speaker is important, an 8 ohm speaker with 3db more sensitivity will have the same output on half the power as a 4 ohm speaker on twice the power.
Yup, you are right for this, but most of the amps in the market have the gain knob and mine are less than 50%. I like JL Audio amps very much but then it still don't justifies me to change to smaller amp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts