DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basshead days are over, so I'm going to sell my IDMAX and buy a set of 8" subs. I'm looking for purely SQ, max size would be an 8" (can be smaller) but has to be able to keep up with my extremis' and AC G2Si's. They're going to go in the rear speaker space in my tacoma in sealed boxes. It has a shallow mounting depth, I'd guess 6" tops. Right now I'm thinking about the ID8's, any input on those would be great or any other suggestions. Costwise, I'd say about $225ish for the pair. Thanks yall.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Well the SS RLI8 is a little beastly looking sub, I dont think 6" is enouch space. Is that 6" pure sub mounting depth or total space available? I would vote for the ID8, or look on Ebay cause you might get your hands on a IDQ8, but thats rare. What about the Resonant Engineering RE8? They are only $67 direct from RE in Vegas. I know that there are some "generic" RE8s on Madisound in the Sales section going for $15 right now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just ordered some CDT EF-8 subs. they have cast frames and carbon fiber cone. here's some specs here : http://www.mainstreet-audio.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=EF-8&Category_Code=EF_SERIES

I bought it from someone else for a little less than that price which is still good.

I had RE but sold them before installing. lots of good reviews of them too but since I installed some eurosports in the front I wanted to try this.

right now I have 4 Elemental designs EU-700 sub/midbass in 2 sealed boxes and they bump really good too which really take minimal space but I want to reduce my underseat space too.

btw newtitan's arc 8's could be the ones made by ID but with custom specs per Arc. but you'll need to communicate and confirm with him.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rcantu said:
btw newtitan's arc 8's could be the ones made by ID but with custom specs per Arc. but you'll need to communicate and confirm with him.
yea, specwise and appearancewise, they look identical.

thanx for all the help guys, I'm probably gonna go with the ID8s or newtitans arc's.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Keep the IDMAX & run it in an Infinite Baffle setup...
But if you must... the Peerless XLS 8" for less than $70 each is hard to beat. I use them for midbass & they will play all the way to 20hz ez... They are actually a driver designed for home sub use IIRC...

·
Registered
508 Posts
murphman said:
how about elemental designs 9kv2?

x2, I own two myself, haven't used them yet though. :(

they go for under $100 each though.

While I was 8" shopping I also considered these around that price range:

ID8 V3
Adire Koda 8
AA Atlas 8
CDT EF 8
JL 8W3V2
RL-i 8

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Atlas 8 is not out yet...

·
Registered
75 Posts
why not Focal´s 5" sub..!!
Don´t know if it´s still available though...

If my memory serves me right it took John Pitts too an IASCA win in 2002 or something like that using four of these as subs.
He had them mounted on the dash just under the windshield, using an compartment between the firewall? and the dash.

I haven´t tested them "to the fullest", but what I´ve heard was quite impressing...considering their size..

Best Wishes
Rutger

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
JL Audio has a wicked 6" sub as well as Crystal Mobile with a 5.5" killer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm just worried if a sub that small could keep up with the extremis, I will check em out though. Thanx.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
gmazzu said:
Any info on that crystal sub, I emailed them and said they did not have such a product.

Crystal Mobile SSW5.25
The SSW 5.25 is a multi-purpose Woofer / Mid-Woofer / Midrange driver. Capable of reproducing tones as low as 50 Hz, the SSW 5.25 produces more bass than many 6 1/2" speakers. The midrange performance is very accurate with deviations of less than +/- 3 dB from 400 -10,000 Hz.

The key to the outstanding performance of this driver is the Kevlar Fabric Woven Cone with center mounted Bullet shaped Phase Plug and 6ohm coil impedance for lower thd.

Technical Specs:
* 5.25" Kevlar Cone
* 6" Aluminium Basket
* 17.3 oz. Motor
* Butyl Rubber Surround
* Bullet Shaped Phase Plug
* Spring Loaded WireTerminals
* Sold as Stereo Pair
* Frequency 50 - 5,000
* Impedance 6 Ohms
* Sensitivity 91 dB @ 1 Watt
* Power Handling 75 Watts RMS
* Power Handling 150 Watts Peak

$35 each: http://www.mainstreet-audio.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MCCS&Product_Code=SSW5.25

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
newtitan said:
ive got one arc 8" left :)
I see they didnt fare in the doors too well huh? I've put them in rear deck IB and they turned out real nice. Its has very nice SQ, but i wouldn't use it for midbass. Sealed they are quite impressive.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
3.5max6spd said:
I see they didnt fare in the doors too well huh? I've put them in rear deck IB and they turned out real nice. Its has very nice SQ, but i wouldn't use it for midbass. Sealed they are quite impressive.
My plan is to run this in a vented box, actually a folded horn design

1 - 20 of 42 Posts