DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

8" sub question (again...)

4K views 42 replies 16 participants last post by  Riveted1 
#1 ·
I have decided to upgrade my current setup in my daily driver and would like some input on sub selection. I know this topic has been covered before but, I have some conditions that limit my options:

1. Needs to have a mounting depth of 4" or less.

2. I only have .35 cu ft for each driver (I plan on using 2).

3. Needs to play the lower end of the spectrum (35Hz and lower) with authority but still be accurate and detailed.

4. $200 or less for the pair.

I am currently running 2 Polk MOMO 8's and they sound good on certain music with a lot of mid-bass information but lack a weighted low end. I listen to a lot of blues, jazz, & neo-soul music which has a lot of low bass info and the Polk's just aren't getting it done.

Current contenders are the RE8's and the ID8's. Any other suggestions or experiences with the two listed above would be helpful. Oh yeah, power supplied would be 500 watts RMS at 2ohm load.

See less See more
#3 ·
Trio 8 maybe. Box is a little small. Might be worth modeling.

But you are asking for a free lunch. Small woofer, small box, good low end extension.

#4 ·
Has anyone heard the new solo classics yet? I am a old solobaric fan and was wondering if they improved on the old ones? I used to love Kicker but the square stuff is not musical at all. I was thinking about 8's and was going to reorder from credence unless someone said the new kickers were any good.

#6 · (Edited)
The eD 9kv.2's I had were very good in that space before I put a hole in the cone of one of them with my back seat. The other one burned out after being played for too long with 600 watts. I was wondering about the new solo classics myself as I was a big fan of the old round series. I haven't heard much on the Credence subs. Anyone with personal experience care to share?

#31 ·
The eD 9kv.2's I had were very good in that space before I put a hole in the cone of one of them with my back seat. The other one burned out after being played for too long with 600 watts......
WTF?

You want a 30hz, 8", .35 cubic foot, 4" deep sub solution? Are you high? It isn't going to happen, sorry.
Not high at all! LOL! This exists and I have had it before. Read above quote. I have another option available that I listed in one of the posts above so forget the original question. This is the box I decided to use.

Canyon/Colorado Custom Sub Box Enclosures

The downfire box will house an 8" or 10" with a 6.25" mounting depth and .6 cu.ft. of air space.

#8 ·
Solo classics are out. Almost 5" on the mounting depth. 4 15/16" to be exact.

#10 ·
#12 ·
0.6 cu ft for 2-12s? That's a bit small don't you think. 2-8s or a single 10 would be comfortable. Maybe even a single 12 but probably not 2. I'm in the same situation except my mounting depth requirements is 3" or less. Slim pickens there.

#14 ·
Current contenders are the RE8's and the ID8's. Any other suggestions or experiences with the two listed above would be helpful. Oh yeah, power supplied would be 500 watts RMS at 2ohm load.
Both of those are not less than 4" deep. Unfortunately, a shallow 8 is just not going to get ultra low. Just the nature of the beast.

Here's some very good shallow 8s that will fit your requirements with the exception of going ultra low.

Alto Mobile Flastaff 8
Aura Sound NSF8
Earthquake SWS-8
JL Audio 8W1
Kicker CVT-8
Morel ADMW 9 (or the DIY CAW938)

#17 ·
The RE8 is 4" and the ID 8 is 4" once the plastic magnet cover is removed. 12" won't work because it won't fit between the frame of the seat. I will look into some of the other options mentioned above. I am not against using a single sub in the .6 cu ft space but I would have to have another box made for it. Going with a single sub may allow me to go ported but the mounting depth is still the same.

#18 ·
Do you think you could make an MDF spacer ring to go on the opening that would give you a little extra depth? Even if it's a single layer of 3/4 you'd still be looking at a new depth of 4.75 which is much better.

How much room do you have from the top of the box (sub face) to the next object?

#19 ·
I only had a 1/4" from the sub face to the bottom of the seat originally but I add a couple of washer to the seat mount to get another 1/2" of clearance. When I had the eD 9kv.2's in this box, I had to add a 1/4" spacer for them to fit. Needless to say, the cones hit the seat bottom whenever they reached full xmax. At this point I am considering going with this down fire setup for a single 10.

Canyon/Colorado Custom Sub Box Enclosures

It's not as stealth as the current setup but I could get this box and the Aurasound NS10-513-4A for around the same price I was willing to pay for two 8's. And with a 20mm xmax, I'm sure it will do what I'm looking for.

#20 ·
I would definitely give downfiring a try. I've tried almost every stealth-sub option there is in my truck. Downfiring reinforced the lowend and decreased any "cone noise" that was perceived. I had several 10's in this arrangement with my favorites being the TC OEM 10 and the JL10W3V3.

#23 ·
Thanks for the info. Any opinions on doing a Rl-i8 in this box ported verses a 10 in this box sealed?

#26 ·
I have been considering those for a while but have not really seen any performance reviews or feedback on them.

#28 ·
According to Zaph's review, it needs more airspace than that I have to do what I want. I'm looking for more output in the 35Hz and down range and I would need a 20 liter (.7cu.ft.) enclosure ported and tuned to 30Hz.

#29 · (Edited)
A single DDT1508 would be pretty cool. They have about a 4.6" mounting depth, and they do VERY well in .75 cubic feet ported. They're even better in 1.0 cubic feet ported, but .75 will do just fine.

DDAudio Digital Designs Speakers Made in the USA

Feed that thing a good 300-400 watts and you'll be amazed. Nobody will believe that you just have a single 8" subwoofer. They get LOW, and LOUD.

Hell, even a DDW6.5 thrown in a .7 cubic foot ported enclosure tuned to 40Hz will blow your freaking mind. I've heard setups like that in the past, and I swore there was a 12" sub in the trunk. Those little drivers are AMAZING.

#30 ·
WTF?

You want a 30hz, 8", .35 cubic foot, 4" deep sub solution? Are you high? It isn't going to happen, sorry.

IMO, you're best off at least trying those subs out, and see for yourself if they meet your needs. If they don't sell them or return them, but I don't think you have any other options.

#32 ·
That changes the game entirely, man. A sub box like that has a lot more potential.

Advantage here is that now your space under the seats can hold the amps.

BTW in that box size I say go w/ the Zuki 10". It works properly in small boxes like that, and performs nicely. Factoring the displacement of the sub itself, that .6 cubic foot box is going to get much smaller. The Zuki meets this requirement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.