DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I'm selling off all of my guitar stuff I used to play around with for $800 bucks so I decided I'm going to spend it all on an audio system for my car. Right now 3 out of 4 of my stock 2000 Grand Prix speakers are blown. This is what I have so far regarding the system:

Head Unit: Kenwood KIV-701

Door 5.25": :confused:

Subwoofer: :confused:

Amp: :confused:

What I want out of the system is to have good midbass. I listen to mostly metal so I love a good midbass kick. Also I want a tight accurate sub. I'd like to get coaxials for the 5.25" because I don't really want to make custom tweeter enclosures for my first car, maybe on the next one :p. As I said before I have an $800 budget but I can go over $100 if necessary. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
273 Posts
FORGET THE REARS!! biggest mistake people make is buying rear fill IMO<

spend that money on a good set of 6.5" components for the main front stage

if you want to save money and stay within that budget get a good 4 chan that puts out around 100+ per chan and run the fronts off chan 1 and 2 and bridge the rears to run a single sub.
i have done this application many times and always keeps me off until i have money to upgrade..
And yes i've run everything from a 500$ budget to 4grand... thats just equipment.. not time and accesories ect.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...spend a little more so you only have to buy things once and not upgrade. Not saying you can't build an adequate system on a budget but most guys seem to get hooked on car audio which leads to the strong desire to upgrade.
I don't need something amazing, I just want to be able to listen to my music in the car for once. I'm sick of hearing static out of only 1 speaker.

I've been told other places to not use the rear speakers either, I removed it from the first post. Is it a good idea to run speakers and a sub on one amp?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't need something amazing, I just want to be able to listen to my music in the car for once. I'm sick of hearing static out of only 1 speaker.

I've been told other places to not use the rear speakers either, I removed it from the first post. Is it a good idea to run speakers and a sub on one amp?
What do u mean good idea? as long as the amp is capable of making the crossover points needed and stable at 4 and or 2 ohm mono load your fine

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do u mean good idea? as long as the amp is capable of making the crossover points needed and stable at 4 and or 2 ohm mono load your fine
I always thought you needed a separate amp for your sub and speakers, I'm pretty new to this stuff lol well that helps a lot because I didn't want to buy 2 amps.

·
Registered
271 Posts
you can always shop the classifieds here and build your system on the cheap with good used parts....... my stere os a factory honda cd player from a newer model car, some american bass xd-65 subs and soundstream reference 404s amp. so far I have less than $280....... not everything will be used but the items I am saving money on will free up the funds for better front stage. I plan on using focal access 165a3 for my front stage they can be had on ebay for around $380 a set.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Amp: Kicker zx700.5 $250

Front Woofers: M&K 6.5" Woofer $50 / pair OR Dayton RS180
$100

Tweeters: Vifa Xt25 $50 / pair

Active Crossover: 2xS Audiocontrol
$110

Amp kit: Knuconceptz $60

Speaker Wire: Monoprice $12

RCA (need one more) Monoprice:
$5

Subwoofer: 15" MB Quart $130 link (This was the best deal on a 2 ohm subwoofer I found in the 10 minutes I looked. Will give you tight controlled bass at 420w and if you ever want to upgrade, this beast will take the power..... Great subwoofer.

So from my calcs......

$250 + $50 + $50 + $110 + $60 + $12 + $5 + $135 = $662.

Spend the rest on sound deadening and misc install accessories such as subwoofer box and you're in business. Might want to ask around for a good crossover point on the M&K woofers. THe only reason I recommended those M&K's was that the RS180's I know and love are not on sale and quite expensive as of late. I've done this package on 8 seperate installs over the past two years. Everybody loves it. You can shop around and surely get better prices on the amp/tweeters/woofers; I didnt look too hard. There are lots of other options for the amps, I just recommend you stick with a single amp setup just to make the install easier. I have never, never, never had problems with any kicker zx amp. I like the fact that they have a built in non-defeatable subsonic filter in case you want to port a sub.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amp: Kicker zx700.5 $250

Front Woofers: M&K 6.5" Woofer $50 / pair OR Dayton RS180
$100

Tweeters: Vifa Xt25 $50 / pair

Active Crossover: 2xS Audiocontrol
$110

Amp kit: Knuconceptz $60

Speaker Wire: Monoprice $12

RCA (need one more) Monoprice:
$5

Subwoofer: 15" MB Quart $130 link (This was the best deal on a 2 ohm subwoofer I found in the 10 minutes I looked. Will give you tight controlled bass at 420w and if you ever want to upgrade, this beast will take the power..... Great subwoofer.

So from my calcs......

$250 + $50 + $50 + $110 + $60 + $12 + $5 + $135 = $662.

Spend the rest on sound deadening and misc install accessories such as subwoofer box and you're in business. Might want to ask around for a good crossover point on the M&K woofers. THe only reason I recommended those M&K's was that the RS180's I know and love are not on sale and quite expensive as of late. I've done this package on 8 seperate installs over the past two years. Everybody loves it. You can shop around and surely get better prices on the amp/tweeters/woofers; I didnt look too hard. There are lots of other options for the amps, I just recommend you stick with a single amp setup just to make the install easier. I have never, never, never had problems with any kicker zx amp. I like the fact that they have a built in non-defeatable subsonic filter in case you want to port a sub.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, this is what I was looking for, the only problem is that I don't want tweeters or woofers. All I want for now is just some nice coaxials to put in the factory spot. I don't want to go all out custom on this system. It's my first car and I won't have it for long so I'm not going to build custom stuff for this car that I'm not going to have in a few years. Once I get a good car, then we can talk :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks, this is what I was looking for, the only problem is that I don't want tweeters or woofers. All I want for now is just some nice coaxials to put in the factory spot. I don't want to go all out custom on this system. It's my first car and I won't have it for long so I'm not going to build custom stuff for this car that I'm not going to have in a few years. Once I get a good car, then we can talk :D
I really would suggest the component route. Can make a world of diffrance for not much more effort.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really would suggest the component route. Can make a world of diffrance for not much more effort.
it would require me to make custom tweeter pods because any aftermarket tweeter wont fit in my stock tweeter location. Me and my dad are only good with working with wood, this plexiglass stuff is not something we know what to do with. :worried:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
There's a large number of components that can be used in coaxial mode. But if you're limited to 5.25" that gets to be tougher to get midbass out of.

The amp and sub that were recommended earlier would work well for you.

JBL P562 5-1/4" 2-way Power Series Speakers w/ Sound Dampening

Something like this would be a nice start for a front stage.

Or these (they have a little arm that lets you mount the tweeter coaxially, but you still have to stuff the xover in the door or wherever)
Massive Audio CK 5III (CK5III) 5.25" 2-Way CK Stage III Speakers

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Here is a list of stuff that sounds very promising and should make for a very nice 1st system and should hold off the upgrade bug for a little while until that next car. Should make for an accurate sounding system.

Head Unit: Kenwood KIV-701

Front Speakers
HYBRID AUDIO TECHNOLOGIES IMAGINE I61-2 COMPONETS - $249.99
http://store.12velectronics.com/products/Imagine-I61%2d2-Component-{47}-Coaxial-Speaker-Set.html
Product Reviews: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...ct-comparisons/74505-hat-imagine-6-5-set.html
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...parisons/106191-hat-imagine-i61-2-review.html
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subw...dio-techologies-new-imagine-i61-2-review.html
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...omparisons/102588-hat-imagine-6-5-review.html
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...rtz-imagine-clarus-6-1-2-review-thoughts.html

You Tube - Great speakers for kick panel mounting!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sso8sqY2umc

Q-LOGIC Q-FORMS KICK PANEL PODS - $79.99 (Black color ON SALE! Paint with SEM color if they don't match your car)
Q-Forms Kick Panel Enclosures (Black) Install 6-1/2" components in your 1997-03 Pontiac Grand Prix at Crutchfield.com
Web Site: Pontiac Grand Prix Component Speaker Kick Panel [QL-K1014C] - $199.95 : Q-Logic Direct, Car Audio Speaker and Subwoofer Enclosures

Subwoofer:
HSU RESEARCH ASW-1203 - $120
HSU ASW-1203 Amazing Sound Quality Sub.
Product Review: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...-subwoofer-%96-ultimate-sq-value-package.html

Amp:
PRECISION POWER P900.4 - $229.95
FREE SHIPPING $229.95 PRECISION POWER P900.4 4-Channel 900W Phantom Class D Amplifier
Web Site: PrecisionPower - Products - Amplifiers - Phantom - P900.4
Product Review: PASMAG | PERFORMANCE AUTO AND SOUND - Test Report: Precision Power P900.4 Amplifier
------------------------------------------
Total ~$680

Spend the rest on some deadning, wire, and accessories. You will need to really deaden the Q-Form kick panel pods. This is a nice quick option that will give you a nice soundstage....and no need to mess with "fiberglass."

If the kicks won't work because you are 6'-5" with size 14 feet then at least put a 6.5" in the door. A larger driver upfront will help in producing midbass upfront. Here is how to do it: Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

The amp I like because it is small but powerful and has nice features. The sub is supossed to be very nice sounding. Read the review...Fooseman has some BIG dollar gear in his system and has used some very nice quality subs.

This system design should make for a very nice 1st start....very nice!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have never heard of any of these brand names before and for some reason that just turns me off. Is there anything good from well known brand names? I say this because I want them to have some resell value if I were to upgrade in the future which will probably happen

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
HAT is just the current forum boner. You'll get a lot more for your money elsewhere.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Gtrplyr...

You came to a place where people eat sleep and breathe this stuff.

If you want mediocre advice, then you should probably just go to Best Buy with your $800 and have them set you up. I'm not trying to be mean, just being honest. They will set you up with mass-produced, medium-quality, one-size-fits-all equipment; they will even install it for you! If you want to be a more active part of something mediocre, then go to Crutchfield, buy the stuff yourself, and install it yourself. Done.

But, if you are really looking to put together a sh!t-hot system for the least amount of money possible, then start listening to what these guys are telling you. I'm 45 years old, and I have put systems in cars my whole life. Then, I came here about a year ago and realized that I actually know very, very little about car audio!
(I'm currently replacing my Alpine amps with Massive Audio amps, I used to have a JLAdio sub, I now have an Image Dynamics sub, I once owned Kenwood speakers and I now own CDT Audio speaker which I will replace with something better in a few years. Not that Alpine or JLAudio are bad brands, but there are better brands, and sometime for less money.)

As far as resale, here's your choices: buy Walmart/Crutchfield/Best Buy stuff made by Sony/JVC/Alpine/Kenwood, and install it. If you ever want to upgrade (like after hearing a real high-quality system), you will get back $10-15 for every hundred you spend. If you listen to these guys, buy the good stuff the first time, and then get the bug to go even bigger and better someday, you will get 50%, or more, back on your money. If you buy it used in the first place, you can turn around and sell it for almost what you paid for it (80-90% return on investment).

You seem like a straight-forward young man. Why don't you do a little research and then look at what these guys have proposed for you. You will be blown away by that $800 system! And your friends who think Alpine and JLAudio are the best you can buy, will be asking you, "WHO makes those speakers??? OMG, that sounds AWESOME!!". Then you'll be the guy that your friends all ask for advice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright, I'm just a bit new to this stuff and I didn't know if those brands were quality or not. I know $800 isn't a lot to work with so I guess I just assumed it was junk. I think I am going to go with a 6.5 in the door panel just for a better mid bass.

I don't think I'm in the right place to be asking for this sort of stuff, this is just way over my head. All I really want is something better than stock. I do however want a hard hitting bass. I think I would just feel better going with something from alpine or kicker. I don't know, I just don't feel comfortable buying something that I know nothing about from a name I've never heard of.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts