DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know the actual width and height of the PRS faceplate, and how much additional height is needed (if any) to fold.

Long story short, I'm making an ISO dash kit but I don't have the radio yet for a few more days.

I also don't know of any local dealers who have one in stock for me to measure real quick.

I could wait, but what would be the fun in that? :)

I looked the Pioneer site and it shows 6.75"X1.75", but before I start cutting plexiglass I mainly just wanted to double check that those dimensions are correct and see if it needs additional height for proper operation. I guess the dimensions of the trimring opening would be closest to what I need.

Page 85: http://pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/DEH-P800PRS_OperationManual12010.pdf

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just ended up waiting til it got here to make the dash kit, but it was pretty close to Pioneer's specs anyway.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I just ended up waiting til it got here to make the dash kit, but it was pretty close to Pioneer's specs anyway.

Sexy! I think I'm going to grab one of those.
I'm still working with the old DEX-P1R for the last 12 years. The CD eject mechanism is finnaly starting to fail on her. Poor girl!!! Oh well, Independent left/right eq, here I come!

How are you liking it so far?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So far I'm reasonably impressed. I haven't experimented much with the processing yet, and haven't touched the time alignment or auto EQ features yet.

I was using a Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD until yesterday, it had me pretty spoiled with the touch-screen control of iPod and USB interface. The 800PRS leaves a LOT to be desired with the CD-UB100 USB interface, but that's secondary as far as what my wants were with this unit.

I've only had it in for a day and a half now, but I think it's going to work out fine for me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Now that you've had the unit a couple months, what are your impressions? Did you get it for SQ reasons only? Impressed over the previous H/U? How do you now like the iPod interface? Thanks for any thoughts....

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now that you've had the unit a couple months, what are your impressions? Did you get it for SQ reasons only? Impressed over the previous H/U? How do you now like the iPod interface? Thanks for any thoughts....
I like the sound of it a lot. My previous head unit was an AVH-P4000DVD, which had an excellent user interface (as well as iPod and USB built in and extremely easy to navigate). The 800PRS isn't quite as user friendly for me, but it also doesn't have a 6" touch screen. Sonically, I can tell a definite difference between this unit and the P4000DVD. It's a subtle difference but it's obvious. I attribute it mostly to the 24 bit DACs.

I'm not using an iPod interface this time, but I am using the Pioneer USB interface. It leaves a lot to be desired but I don't have any real complaints. It does what I expected it to and works fine once you overlook its quirks.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I just got and installed my 800PRS yesterday. Man this thing is such an upgrade from my DEX-P1R.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sonically, I can tell a definite difference between this unit and the P4000DVD. It's a subtle difference but it's obvious. I attribute it mostly to the 24 bit DACs.
---
Subtle but obvious -- just smoother, or what? More detail? Subtle and obvious seem like two conflicting descriptions. Thanks for any clarification.

I'm not using an iPod interface this time, but I am using the Pioneer USB interface. It leaves a lot to be desired but I don't have any real complaints. It does what I expected it to and works fine once you overlook its quirks.
---
So, this is the $100 add on. Does this just allow for a cord to hang out from the back in which you can connect a USB key? What does "leaves a lot to be desired" mean? What are its quirks? Again, thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts