DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, new member here, thought I might make a project thread about my car. Im in the early stages of the build right now, and still undecided about what of my stereo components to install. First a quick rundown of my gear:

Head unit - NA (will probably be a Pioneer 4100 2DIN dvd)
Amps - 1 Soundstream Da Vinci, 1 Hertz EP1D, 2 Hertz EP4
Tweeters - Focal Audiom TLR
Midrange - Hertz EM100
Bass - 1 Soundstream SPL160, 1 Earthquake SWS 8", 2 Earthquake SWS 12"

I plan to use the Hertz EP1D on the SPL160, and the Davinci for the rest in a active 3-way front setup with the SWS12s as midbass (overkill, I know :) ) in small sealed boxes in the floor right in front of the front seats. Alternatively use the SWS8 as a single midbass driver in a sealed box under the dash, passenger side. I have already tried this and it works well, the midbass sounds well integrated with the front stage, and does not appear to come just from one side of the car. The driver is more or less placed in the middle of the car sidewise, maybe 12-15" offline to the right. But I guess its output will not match that of the SPL160, so maybe the 12s are a better choice for midbass? Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Also, I'm making a fiberglass box for the sub in the spare wheel well, but I am not sure if a small sealed is the way to go (I have tried this in another car), or if I should try to make a larger ported box (SS recommends 4 cubic feet, tuned to 32hz).

Onto some pics. starting with the components, and the car :)

Okay, this is just a quick first post, I'll post some build pics later today.

PS: My english grammar might suck, seeing as I am norwegian :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
this is gonna be an awesome build. Good Luck!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, time to post some build pics, starting with the only thing that is done, making panels for the midranges in the doors.

This was the starting point, a big hole left by a previous speaker - had some Soundstream 4x6" co-axes there. So i made a paper template that covered the speaker and screw holes.

Next, I transfered the paper template to my computer using adobe illustrator, to make vector files for an engraving machine (CNC) at work. Made these forms out of ABS plastic.

Quick check to confirm fitment.

Panel with hole for speaker cut out, looking good so far :)

Then I covered the panels in dark blue suede, and mounted them to the door panels using 3M double sided tape. Not the kind you buy at the store :) I work in signmaking/car graphics, this tape is what we use to hang aluminium/plastic signs on walls. And it costs $200 a roll over here :)

Making pods for the tweeters these days, will post pics when they are done.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This should be an interesting build! I can honestly say that I don't think that I've ever witnessed a build where the tweeters were worth considerably more than the car they were going into.

That's an impressive list of gear and everything looks cool so far.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can honestly say that I don't think that I've ever witnessed a build where the tweeters were worth considerably more than the car they were going into.

Hehe, I think even the Kinetik battery is worth more than the car, but its what I got for now. Figured out I just as well could put my stereo in it, can't get much enjoyment out of it laying in my closet, waiting for a newer car.

I guess this won't be the most extreme install, just doing a neat and tidy simple install to put my stereo to good use for the time being. Not a competition vehicle, hehe..

Kinetik HC1800 battery

The car as it is now

Quick photoshop of what its going to look like, going to wrap it with flat black vinyl and paint the wheels black.

These next pictures may stray a little OT from the build log, but its just to show a little how-to on vinyl wrapping a car. which I will be doing on the Colt. This is my other car, a friend and me did this last summer.

My friend not looking too confident about this project, haha

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
991 Posts
gotta love putting gear in an old-school ride.... I would vote against the flat black... its just odd looking.. its not "hot rod primer" unless its on a hot rod... lol....

Love the colt/mirage... great lil cars... nearly bullet proof... awesome gear.

Rob

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
My god, this will be cool...

SPL160, brings back memories of the good ole days, the 160 re-revolutionized the SPL game.. I had a plan drawn up for 8 of them in my VW GTi, 4 in bandpass and 4 in sealed.. it never went anywhere... lol.. nice to see one again..

And the Da'Vinci classic awesomeness..

So, how about this... You get another SWS8 and put one in each door, down low, along with the mids where they are now and put the tweeters up on the sail panal/A-pillar area?

I seem to envision the 160 in a glass box, formed to the left side of the hatch, with the sub firinng toward the right... The Da'Vinci right where you have it and then on the right side, put the battery, the hertz amp(s) and whatever else you have.. stacked, battery on the bottom, power distribution, then the amps on the top...

That's what I see in my head, looking at this, I used to have to deal with the hatch with my GTi, but no more...

this will be very interesting, I can't wait to see what you decide to do...

Cheers..!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback :)

I might do a tutorial on vinyl wrapping a car, thing is, I'm not really an expert in the field, the Cosmo is the first car I've done. But for now I can atleast tell you that you'll wanna use 3M 180-series vinyl w/comply technology. This means there are tiny air channels in the vinyl that make the applying bubble-free, and the adhesive on the back of the vinyl does not activate until you squeegie the vinyl firmly so you have time to adjust it after placing it on the car.

I've started making a fiberglass box in the well, measured it and its 1,5 cu.ft. Thinking of trying the 4 cu.ft ported box recommended in the SPL160 manual, so the space in the rear in kinda minimal with box in place, but I'm ditching the rear seats, going to make amp rack in their place :)

I really would like the SWS12s upfront somehow, thinking of small sealed fiberglass boxes in the floor rigth in front of the front seats, with the drivers facing upwards. If that does not work out, maybe sell the 12s and get another 8" in the same config. See a problem matching 12s as midbass to a 4" midrange.. But maybe it will work?

Some pics of the box, whats done so far..

2 layers of foil in well

First layer of fiberglass, I'm using woven mat, nice to work with

4 layers done, made it a little shorter in the back in case I would need some space to run cables if the amps go in the back. Made rear wall from MDF that have been reinforced with fiberglass.

Then I made a top plate of plywood and glassed it to the rest. This will be the bottom part of the box, building the top part with MDF.

I guess this will be the placement of components when all is done. Something like this anyway. I guess the amps will be mounted under a plexi top plate.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
in the US men don't wear capri pants :D
I'll be sure to let my buddy know :p He's the one driving the big US van in the pictures, or as we would call it, the import :D

Anyhow, I'm thinking about a multimedia head unit, have space for a 2DIN, and I'm kinda interested in the Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD, so maybe I'll order one shortly. Gas price over here is touching $7 per gallon these days, sp it helps my wallet that the car is in pieces in the garage most of the time now..

·
Registered
200 Posts
Haakono you need to send me a Cosmos. The motor in the Rx7 went pop again.. V8 time!

Or you can send me that Da Vinci.. I still got my Tarantula here.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Dan, send me some of them prototype speakers of yours, then maybe I'll consider it :D

V8 RX-7 can be cool for sure, just have to be something lightweight.. LS3 was it? I'll make a 1,3litre rotary Corvette to even the score, haha.. The Tarantula would fit better in my Soundstream setup anyway, dont you think?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Small update, I recently got a Colt GTI 16v (with a busted engine) for parts, paid about $300 for the whole car, took off the GTI bumper, rear wing, a CD player and some 16" wheels with 2 sets of tires. The rest went to the junk yard :)

The wheels were in pretty rough shape, one of them had been kurbed allmost all the way round, only about 4 inches that still were good. But only minor damages, nothing too serious, so I washed them, sanded them down, applied filler to the scratches, sanded this down and painted the wheels black. Just spray-paint in garage, nothing fancy, but they turned out OK :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts