DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

621 - 640 of 658 Posts

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
Why is that Victor?
Engine makes such a wonderful music by itself and loud as well, soundproofing would be a nightmare and weight a lot, increasing weight not a good idea for such well balanced car. I owned same car but 1985 in black.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #622
Those were some of my original concerns as well. It was one of the soul reasons why I picked the materials and equipment I used. I have already done the sound deadening and suppression. I weighed all the old factory junk I pulled out vs what I put in its place and only gained about 12lbs in that area. The equipment weight is on the order of 40-50lbs taking into consideration the weight of the enclosure and panels, keeping in mind I'm also removing the rear seats. So, in all it really isn't gaining very much weight.

As for the sweet engine noise, I agree. It does make a wonderful tone itself. However, on long trips or even trips to the beach or going fishing it does break up the monotony of the engine noise. I take road trips to Barber Motorsports Park and Atlanta Motorsports Park, so, some TopGun tunes does put one in the mood. :)

You may enjoy the power adder I will be putting on the car at the end of the build. I am going one of two ways, will just have to see which route I decide to take.

Thanks for the input it is always great to have another P-car owner involved in the thread.

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
Hey, It`s your car, you do as you pleased.
I regret selling mine they don`t make them like that anymore.
I might be just a little envy.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #625
Just received my new dash in UPS on Saturday. Still massing parts so I
can continue my build this fall...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hey Fly,

Some good news never hurt... how is the engine? Dit you get your fuel lines all sorted?
I had my CIS apart over the last couple of weeks and finally have everything back together. Hope to see you back at it soon!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #628
love your door pods! wanna make a mold and send me a pair? :) would really love to fit 8" in the doors. are you happy with them?
Thanks for the kind remarks. What kind of car are you working
with? Do you have a build log, if so, I would love to view. Feel
free to post a link here, I don't mind one bit..

Are you needing/wanting the rear pod, or the door pocket part?

I got pretty motivated to make 8's fit from the amount of people
who said it couldn't be done without cutting any metal. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I cant tell you if I am happy with how they sound,
I have yet to hear anything play. This thread isn't just an audio
build but a full interior restoration. So, I have been sourcing parts
and supplies to build the car and the audio. Recently found two
major things that have been holding up the build. One was a carpet
kit that didn't cost me 800 bucks. The other was a race/gate shifter.
So, my budget being disabled and patience have paid off and the
build can move forward. If you move back a couple of pages you
will see I had the centers of the seats recovered, I am now moving
to have the black replaced for CANCAN red. This will be the last
part of the car I should have to pay someone to do.

Anyway, welcome to the thread. Work should resume very soon

Scott

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #630 (Edited)
Four years and counting, what's taking so long:confused:

Dude,

you would do everyone a favor to find some other thread to troll. Not ONE SINGLE
person on this thread is interested in your negativity. If you really think you could
do any better as a person that has a disability, then good for you. So, unless you
care to finance and do the work on my car, keep your comments to yourself.

And it has been 6 years, quite honestly if it takes ME 5 more I really don't care! I
don't think the 50 some odd thousand views this thread has gotten depends on
what you say or do here.....

my you learn and gather some humility in your 2015

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Dude, don't let the haters get you down. I have a disability as well, and I haven't even started my build. I admire the fact that you have the guts to start it and to work on it as long as you have. People who are not disabled don't understand what it's like to have a mind that looks at a problem, and thinks "I can do that, and that." but a body that won't let you do what you know in your mind you can, or could at one time, do.
I have all the stuff for my build. I just don't have the physical capability to do it; and I can't afford to have someone else do it (disability doesn't pay that well).

Keep pushing dude, you'll get there.

Good Luck,

Randy

·
Registered
365 Posts
Just took the time to read this entire thread from the beginning, your work and attention to detail is amazing. How many times you changed the door panels is very inspiring to me a lot of people would have given up. You and the little time you have to work on this is what I like. So keep on going and don't give up. This makes me want to get off my ass and try fiberglassing for the first time. Love the houndstooth seats too! Very old school.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #634
Dude, don't let the haters get you down. I have a disability as well, and I haven't even started my build. I admire the fact that you have the guts to start it and to work on it as long as you have. People who are not disabled don't understand what it's like to have a mind that looks at a problem, and thinks "I can do that, and that." but a body that won't let you do what you know in your mind you can, or could at one time, do.
I have all the stuff for my build. I just don't have the physical capability to do it; and I can't afford to have someone else do it (disability doesn't pay that well).

Keep pushing dude, you'll get there.

Good Luck,

Randy
THANKS for this Randy!

You hit on my exact dilemma. The mind knows exactly what
to do, but most of the time my body are unable to preform.
The fact about the funds is a HUGE factor. I think the amount
of time I have been working on this has afforded me the
opportunity to find some great deals. If I had been working
at the speed I once could, no way would I have ended up with
the audio gear I have, or the supplies I have amassed to do the
job. I have nearly an entire room full of parts and supplies to
use. I have saved countless thousands just by taking my time
and being patient while shopping. My latest score was a FACTORY
set of super rare CANCAN red carpets in the most expensive carpet
they used, 'silver knit' .... I would have never been able to use
that set of I were building on the same timeline most everyone
else here builds by.

I really do appreciate those of you who encourage me to 'keep
on keepin on' :D it really means TONS to me!

All the best with your disability
Scott

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #635
Just took the time to read this entire thread from the beginning, your work and attention to detail is amazing. How many times you changed the door panels is very inspiring to me a lot of people would have given up. You and the little time you have to work on this is what I like. So keep on going and don't give up. This makes me want to get off my ass and try fiberglassing for the first time. Love the houndstooth seats too! Very old school.
THANKS, for your kind words of encouragement!

I'm still not 100% satisfied with the door pockets, but from
what I have now I don't think I will need to start from scratch.
It not just comes down to if I am going to keep the painted to
match the body or cover them. I wont know that until it is all
together and installed. To see if it is "too much" and flows with
the rest of the install.

Over this lengthy time frame I have come up with some really
slick idea's that aren't very difficult of build that should keep
you guy interested. So, do stay tuned once I move to the rear
of the car I'll start using some really cool materials and lots of
fiberglass to keep things lightweight. You wont see much if any
wood being used.

I've helped many first time fiberglass users here on the board.
If you get to the point of wanting to give it a try just send me
a message and I would be happy to walk you through the
process. Most of those I have helped had very good results
and ended up being far easier than they thought.

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #637
I just received the last piece in my old school Sony puzzle. I surf Ebay many times per week (never know what you might find) to look for the rare parts that never pop up elsewhere. Found a guy selling a PAC/Peripheral SONY unilink/ipod adapter, said it would work on ALL Sony unilink systems. I pretty well knew it wouldn't work, just so happened he has an XES-P1 // XES-X1 system in his truck and said he would give it a shot. In the same message I asked him if he happened to have a Sony XA-U40D. I ALWAYS ask sellers what else they may have, you just never know. I have only seen one of the pop up for sale in the past 5 years for over 400 bucks! Very likely it is as rare if not more so than the Sony XES-50, which he also has if I can talk him into a reasonable price. Anyway, he tells me his U40D has NEVER been installed or mounted and gave me a price which was a steal, 3 days later it is at the door. He told me it was just sitting on a shelf in a closet and thought I was a very deserving buyer. After I unboxed it and inspected I thought how nice he was to sell it let alone sell it so cheaply. So, I got on PAYPAL wrote him a thank you message and sent extra money for him to take his wife out to a nice steak dinner.

Long story I know, but this world should be filled with people like this seller/collector who realized/recognized someone who was looking for an item they had just sitting in a closet doing no one any good, and willing to part with it so someone could get some enjoyment from it.

Cheers all have a great weekend!
FLY

CHECK OUT THOSE SCREW HOLES, never mounted

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #640
Those that have been following my build, take a look at what BING
and one of his installers did. They FINALLY got their hands on an
air cooled Porsche. I have been waiting a very long time to see what
he would do to one of these cars. Though it doesn't have near the
amount of gear I am trying to stuff in my car the outcome is very
close to what I have envisioned in my own car in the rear. It came
out VERY nice. So i encourage ya'll to give it a view.

Cheers,
Scott

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/221850-new-tech-old-school-car-1990-porsche-964-morel-illusion-mosconi-arc.html

621 - 640 of 658 Posts