DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

641 - 658 of 658 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Kinda disappointed he didn't put the sub in the trunk! ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Any updates on the Porsche? My dad has a 911 Carrera 2, and being a former installer, I have a bunch of spare stuff around and thought about upgrading what's in there. It had the Alpine in-dash 3 disc player, but it wasn't working right, and I swapped it for an Eclipse 5303 for now. I am a big Sony MObile ES fan though, and would like to see if I can work some of my ES stuff in there. The room in the convertible is a little tighter, though. And obviously sound will be compromised due to road noise, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #644
Any updates on the Porsche? My dad has a 911 Carrera 2, and being a former installer, I have a bunch of spare stuff around and thought about upgrading what's in there. It had the Alpine in-dash 3 disc player, but it wasn't working right, and I swapped it for an Eclipse 5303 for now. I am a big Sony MObile ES fan though, and would like to see if I can work some of my ES stuff in there. The room in the convertible is a little tighter, though. And obviously sound will be compromised due to road noise, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

REALLY SORRY for taking so long to reply. I have been trying
for a few weeks to have my password reset without any luck
at all, until I tried a couple FB pages and a mod saved the day.

We are getting to the time of year I would rather work in and
some progress should be made. I've done nothing but spend,
spend, spend! Most on items for the car.

As you already know ragtops really aren't a place for very
serious systems. If I had one I'm not so sure I would go much
farther than doing a decent set of components with an amp on
them and a decent two way for the rear.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Really diggin the build! Who cares if it takes 2 days or 2 decades to build. No matter how long it takes, YOU know YOU will do it right and have done it YOURSELF, now that's something to be proud of!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hope to see you working on it again soon...

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #649
Really diggin the build! Who cares if it takes 2 days or 2 decades to build. No matter how long it takes, YOU know YOU will do it right and have done it YOURSELF, now that's something to be proud of!
Thanks for the compliments and your support. That is the
exact thing that fueled me to build and finish the boat I built
then the motorcycle. Without doing those two things 1st I
wouldn't have been able to pay cash for the car. It WILL get
done this year, least the inside. I've got TONS of different
things to build being I'm working with a shell of a car. All
the internal panels will be 1 off's. All of the factory parts
are being stored so that if needed I can just swap it all right
back in the car.

glad you enjoyed reading about the build, I've tried to keep
it very light not worrying about derails. It's about comradery,
the same comradery I formed while in the AF and miss so much.
So feel free to post here whatever you wish, so long as it's
positive...

you have a great weekend
Scott

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #650
Hope to see you working on it again soon...
You bet I am sir! THIS is going to be MY YEAR! Not just for
this project but many other personal ones.

And you Sir, how have you been? Have you played any with
those crazy 8's I once owned? I NEVER see them for sale and
I look often on all my sources. Just last week a pair popped up
for sale and got me wondering if you even still had them?

You have a great weekend ole friend,
Scott

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #651
Haven't really been active on the forum in a LONG while but, it's nice to see you're still at it. Now to re-read this whole thread!
Thanks for your loyalty. I'll NEVER stop until I have it playing
and up to scratch!

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #652
I told myself months ago I wouldn't buy any new gear, and have stuck
to my guns. For the most part the only needed parts are rca ends, and
some EL WIRE/sheet.

BUT when an Sony CDX-C90 pops up for 120 bucks and is in fantastic
shape only missing it's box. Well, you've gotta jump on it. The conundrum
is to use this or the XES system? Using the C90 will only cut down on
the fab of the center console, where the P1 and X1 will be mounted, one
on each side of the console. It will only amount to one less 'black box.'
It will also cost me another 600-1000 for a current processor. I don't want
to use of an XPD-4000, unless I can find one dirt cheap. I would rather
run an ARC PS8 or Helix DSP PRO MKII...

SO, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #654
I know I haven't posted much on my build, just wanted all of you to know it wasn't abandoned. Health issues have gotten in the way of any sort of steady progress. Also, I've had to spend money on other things. Where it stands now is, I've had my seats completed, ordered and had various factory-style carpet pieces made, and a few other little odds and ends. I also had a few great deals thrown my way for the build in my SUV. Through those deals, I now have all the equipment needed to complete it aside from little things like RCA's and other wires. That is the attached photo. Anyway, I'll keep adding to this as I am able to and I hope all y'all are doing well, happy 2020!
SONYSYSTEM.jpg

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Haven't been here in ages, but good to see you're still at it! I've been too busy with my home install over these last few years. The 911 is not in use atm. so car audio has suffered as I don't have plans yet for my '99 Audi TT.
I don't think I have seen these finished seats, they do look cool! Happy 2020 to you too!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have some major spine issues....I had my L5 S1 fusion in Dec 2018. Then, 10 months later, I had my L4 L5 fusion in Sept 2019. I found out 25 days ago that after 5 months, 2 of the 6 pedicle screws have backed out and is causing me intense pain. So I will have to have another surgery to correct the past surgeon's eff up.
I've had 2 builds on hold during this time. I can definitely understand the frustration. I just read your entire build pretty much page for page and LOVED seeing the two seats here at the current point of the build.
It was certainly something I needed to read today as my depression had really kicked in but this has been inspiring!
Thank you for continuing on with your creation and for sharing it with us all here!
PLEASE DON'T STOP!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #658
I have some major spine issues....I had my L5 S1 fusion in Dec 2018. Then, 10 months later, I had my L4 L5 fusion in Sept 2019. I found out 25 days ago that after 5 months, 2 of the 6 pedicle screws have backed out and is causing me intense pain. So I will have to have another surgery to correct the past surgeon's eff up.
I've had 2 builds on hold during this time. I can definitely understand the frustration. I just read your entire build pretty much page for page and LOVED seeing the two seats here at the current point of the build.
It was certainly something I needed to read today as my depression had really kicked in but this has been inspiring!
Thank you for continuing on with your creation and for sharing it with us all here!
PLEASE DON'T STOP!
Oh, no chance I'll stop Justin! I keep up with your story on FB when you post updates. Your problems along with the problems from friends are 1 of many reasons why I haven't gone the fuse route and doubt I ever will. I'm glad you got around to reading the build and its helped you some, that is a big reason why I started this thread in hopes someone like you would read it. Sometimes we need to see/hear there is hope and no matter how bad we hurt there are days (some fewer than most) where we can make positive gains. This is why through this injury I have always had a project to work on. I need something to put the effort in and get me out of bed or off the couch on those days I feel decent.

Because the car has sat for so long I now have several other things I'll have to address before actually driving the car once I have the interior back in it. The suspension being a 33 year old car was marginal..

641 - 658 of 658 Posts