DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
91' miata build. The intent of this project is to track the car, have incredible sound system, and drive this on back roads during nice weekends.
Ultimately it will be getting a new paint job nardo gray. I have all the paint and supplies and will perform it in parts. Example roof, door jams, trunk interior, and engine bay will be the first paint and body work this way i can practice again painting as its been decade since my last paint job.

Stereo system will be the following:
Stevens audio 8" midbass in the doors
Stevens audio compression drivers in image dynamics fiberglass horns
Pair of Sundown audio sa8v3 dvc 4 ohm
Sundown audio sae1100.5
Mini dsp 6x8

As far as performance stuff it is full build and since this diyma i will likely keep it brief as i do the various work. Unless people desire to see progress of the entire car.

Sound deadening materials used will be raamat, dynamat xtreme, and resonix. Im waiting on resonix order to be fullfilled but it is back ordered for now so i will make do with what i already have

Here is the first door one sheet of dynamat xtreme on so far. The doors as stated above will get full treatment. I will build up enclosure type space as well. Forst cutting away the area before the window crank.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the audio equipment so far. Im removing the original image dynamics CD-1E drivers and using the new stevens audio comp 8 ohm units paired to the original fiberglass horn design from Image Dynamics. His 8 inch midbass drivers will be door mounted. The 2 sundown audio sa8v3 dvc 4 ohm subwoofers will be ported in the trunk firing into the cabin since na maitas have two open spaces that flow onntue left and right sides into the cab around the fuel tank. Sundown audio 1100.5 will power it all. Unless it ends up too big and then ill just stack mount jl audio hd200/4 and hd1200/1 instead. Mini dsp 6x8 for processing and soon apl1 once onen of the forum members responds back to place an order. Source unit still unknown but i want to maintain just a volume knob type of arrangement and do lossless or close to it direct from phone. I have a android but also an iphone as well so likely will take my easier route on one. My day to day is android so iphone seems like a good start.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Here is the project underway. Rear end stripped and will receive a getrag rear swap for more durability after power improvements. Bushings being done as well. Its an in between thing so i can do audio stuff and not get worn out doing the same stuff.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The horns are cleaned up and dampened using raamat. Sheet and a half for the pair. Im going to do a little body filling where i had screw holes from years ago then install the new drivers onto them.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Don't be afraid to show us your cosmetic and mechanical upgrades. We like that too!

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good. Here is a quick breakdown of the car to be assembled and fabricated:
K24z honda motor
Cadillac getrag rear diff
Koni adj and flyin miata springs
Full prothane bushings and sadfab retro bushings
Bride seats
Full interior make over
Work equip wheels
Ill post as it goes and snap pics as i get through my garage worth of a car.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will be a lot of work. I have everything just need to get to work on all of it. Well keep working ive obviously been on it since pics show entire suspension rear end removed

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Single exhaust port, only one of the cams vtec. After tune 200whp ish. Main reason i chose it is due to the fsct it is easier to get the exhaust routed proper side. Also uses stock k member making it a little less expensive.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been reading some threads about liquid deadener. I need some to cover the exterior horns. I matted them with raamat already but want to do a layer of liquid over it. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Ill continue to look at the remaining threads.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
This should be a fun build all around :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ive built many cars over the years and this has been so far up there. Best were my 510s but thst is nostalgia though so its biased.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just ordered the apl1 from raimonds. Got sidetracked and started building the ecnlosures for my cobra and bmw. Ill post some stuff that ill work on for miata soon

·
Registered
581 Posts
Digging the 2.4L swap! Had a 2001 PT Cruiser 2.4L DOHC swapped into my wife's ex-1995 Dodge Neon Sport 2.0L SOHC.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts