DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well a friend of mine recently picked up this ride (it's his dream and baby all rolled into one) and decided he wanted to add a relatively simple system. A lot of the items he already had, head unit, subs, wiring, and some he bought, component speakers, amps, deadening.

He came to me since he knew I had some idea how all these things went together, and well, it's gotten a little more involved but, we want this thing to look good right.

Goals:
1. Keep a clean and semi-stock look in the cab.
Cargo area is up for grabs as this isn't a daily driver. But we're still going for a clean look.
2. Use the equipment he already has.
It's pretty good stuff, and there's no need for active or large amounts of processing.
3. Keep some form of speaker in all the factory locations.
We butted heads here, but it's his car so it's what he wants.

Equipment:

Source: Clarion DXZ555MP with Ipod adapter
Component Amp: Elemental Designs NINe.2
Component Set: Elemental Designs e9.65s
Subwoofer Amp: Elemental Designs NINe.2x
Subwoofers: 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1
Dash Speakers: Infinity 3022CF 3-1/2" coaxial off HU
Rear Fill: Infinity 6822CF 6x8 coaxial off HU
Deadening: Raamat
Wiring: Assorted (Monster, Stinger, Scosche, etc)

I understand some of the dislike for ED but let's please keep this off the build log. The equipment has been selected and will more than likely make the owner very happy.

Shot of the car before I got my hands on it

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Wow I've had my hands on 500+ fox bodies, those cars still have a place in my heart. That one looks to be in great shape! Tuning in for this build..

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is in really good shape for its age and lack of much work on it. Sounds amazing too. So onto the install. The first hurdle to overcome was installing the door speakers. I opened the door to find this:

Well, needless to say we have to do something about the map pockets (honestly in pretty good shape and more about the failing elastic). Also, the doors have about 1" of mounting depth as the window track is right behind the speaker opening and the door card offers no protrusion into the cab.
You can see that in this pic of the interior:

The 9.65 mids are pretty beefy with a mounting depth a hair over 3" so a pod of some sort needed to be made. Fiberglass was an option but I wanted to be able to mount a newly upholstered map pocket on top of my pod if so desired. This was in order to keep that nostalgic look. I am not a fan of pleats in general, but I totally understood where he was coming from.

The next dozen or so shots are the solution to the doors. These aren't finished yet. I'll probably have them completely done, minus the upholstery, tomorrow.

Stock door panel

Remove map pocket with fold over tabs and speaker cover by drilling out plastic rivets

Traced out map pocket and speaker cover and located hole for base plate

Cut out first baffle, ensure straight lines and perfect circle as this would serve as a pattern for all the other parts. Screwed in place to use flush trim bit on router.

Rough cut with jigsaw to about 1/8" within pattern.

Driver and passenger side base baffle done.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Using the speaker area of the base plate as a pattern I made four baffles that would serve to extrude the speaker mount into the cab. I only needed one to mount the mid to, but decided flushing the aftermarket grill would look nice and give me an opportunity to shape the pod a little for looks. The four baffles looked like this, inner circle is the mounting diameter while the outer circle is for the flush mount... that made me think of Mount Flushmore... I guess the four fathers of the toilet business would be on it

I made the speaker hole on the middle plate using my flush trim bit and the base plate to keep things aligned. Then traced this hole onto the top plate and worked from that center to get the flush mount hole. Once these were done I glued screwed and clamped them together. Then my neighbor came over and asked if I could put some furniture together, so I let the glue dry and helped her out.

My new best friend R2D2...

Both sides are done and dry. I smoothed out any rough spots with the palm sander and need to use some filler for any low spots. There are only a few, but they may show under vinyl. I'll be adding a roundover to the top edges of the baffle as well as a cove piece between the transition so it should smooth out pretty well. You may be wondering about how I'll mount these things to the door. I've got some ideas that I will share with you tomorrow. It's pretty simple and should work while keeping all the functionality and total removability in case he decides to go back to stock.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way, I found these the other day and they're awesome. Quick release C-clamps. I'm totally infatuated with them. I plan on getting more, but I have two now and they're great. Push the little red button and no more spinning forever.

Bessey Quick Release C-Clamp

Anytime I find something or use something that I'm not sure everyone has I'll try and post up a pic or link. I've found a lot of great tools through you guys and others so I'll try and help out anyone else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
subscribing..... I have an 89 Hatchback and need to redo my door panel pods. I did something very similar. I traced the speaker cover and made a pod but only used 1 peice of 3/4 MDF. So I'm curious what you do with the map pockets as I left mine alone.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Looking good so far. Love those cars. 1st fast car I ever owned and the 2nd car I ever owned was a 1988 GT in Medium Scarlet Red. 5 speed, grey interior, sunroof, pw, pl, tilt, cruise but no a/c and I didn't want it either. Car served me very well in 1 year of high school and 2 of college.

Here's pics of the system I had in it back in the mid-90s. IMO the best door panels ever made were the pre-fab ones I had made by Scosche or was it Soundquest? They were called Audioforms. The entire setup in the back was removable as 1 piece and connected with quick-connectors.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Saleen, welcome aboard. You shall soon see, I guess we all shall, whether this is going to work or not... it should.

SUX 2BU, I love that install, definitely am impressed with the prefab door pods. I'm in the garage right now working on the ones I've put together. I am in the air about the back. Thought about a raised floor like you have, but he wants to retain the spare... which makes it about 7" to raise the floor. Kinda loses the look in my opinion. Thanks for the great pics.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I totally remember those prefab door panels. They were NICE but they were priced out of my budget. I had an '89 notchback in '97-'99, I built pods in the doors for Morel 8s and did a 5.25 and tweet in the kicks. I can probably have my wife scan some pics if anyone has an interest in seeing it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Treetop, I would love to see those pics. I'm just about done with my version. Just need to rub them down with some filler to hit some low spots and smooth out the transition between the pod and the base panel. Not sure if I'll wrap them or get them done. I'm having trouble finding some color matched vinyl. I saw on stangnet that someone used regular vinyl and got some SEM dye that matched the factory coloring.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Post the pics! Would love to see them, Treetop. The Audioforms, made by Soundquest, were a really really nice product. Whoever fabbed the prototypes and molds up back in the day really knew what they were doing vs. what was being done in custom installs at the time. They offered 3 versions of them: bare abs (with a leather grain), vinyl wrapped and leather wrapped. I had the bare ones. I think they were $299 for the pair, Canadian. They were definitely worth it. A local shop here closed out some years ago and they had a pair of vinyl-wrapped ones on their clearance table. I really should have bought them just to have them. I can't even find pics or any info at all about Audioforms on the 'net. They made them for all kinds of cars back then. Another manufacturer was Z-box, which I think was primarily for Porsches.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I love mustangs and foxes in general. Your friends looks to be in real good shape. Keep it that way cause a clean fox is getting hard and costly to find.

Here is a pic I found years ago with a set up in one that I really liked.

Here is a pic of my collection or as of a year or so ago. The 95 :( is gone now but the 02 is in process of being shipped down to TX from VA and the 89 will one day make it down here as well. I want another fox BAD. I have looked for years for the audioforms for the 94+ cars and had no luck finding them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kornnut, we will definitely be keeping it well. It's not a daily driver and it stays out of the rain. I like that amp rack you did a lot. May have to steal some "inspiration" from you as we've been tossing amp racks around. There may be a 95 install for another friend in the future if things go as planned. It's quite a beast as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
OH NO I didn't do the amp rack. Just one I found lol. When I get another fox I will do one like it though. Glad to hear the car will stay clean. Be sure to take a lot of pics along the way. I love those cars.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kornnut, I just noticed that when I re-read it. I would probably copy it pretty much if we were getting rid of the spare. It looks like I'll be doin some glassin for the enclosures in the corners. With this method it should take up minimal space, add minimal weight, retain access to the spare, and sit underneath the trunk lid so it's hard to see the subs looking in the back window. Everything is taped off so tomorrow it looks like I'll be gettin high on the fumes. Respirator FTW.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Kornnut, I just noticed that when I re-read it. I would probably copy it pretty much if we were getting rid of the spare. It looks like I'll be doin some glassin for the enclosures in the corners. With this method it should take up minimal space, add minimal weight, retain access to the spare, and sit underneath the trunk lid so it's hard to see the subs looking in the back window. Everything is taped off so tomorrow it looks like I'll be gettin high on the fumes. Respirator FTW.
Sounds good. Get plenty of pictars.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got some work done on the doors today. They're pretty much done, just need to get some shorter bolts and more t-nuts. I haven't put the speaker mounts in, but that shouldn't take any time. I'll need to wrap them in vinyl but I'll wait til the end to do that since I need to do the amp rack and sub enclosure(s).

Anyway, started back by adding a strip of cove molding to help with the transition between the speaker plates and the base plate.

I glued these in place with the intent to add some substance for the filler I was going to smooth it out with. I didn't want to have to build it all up with filler as I thought it may be a pain and possibly fall off. Once the glue dried I started adding filler and sanding it smooth. Not the best at this but I'm slowly learning. Got it pretty smooth by the end.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts