DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
and that's that. Thanks for browsing through. Now I can't wait until the next step. BUT I need my money tree to grow some more before I do ANYTHING lol. Just want to thank this forum and the folks on it for helping me and being an inspiration to actually get up and DO IT :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Now, how does it sound??
Bear with me, since I don't have much to go on. But to me, It sounds great. The bass is crisp, not too boomy. It hits pretty hard, at moderate levels the cone is barely moving. When I have it up to higher levels, it gets to moving especially on some of the deeper bass rap songs, but for the house and dubstep music, it moves maybe a half inch each way. My cousin has more experience with car audio. He installed for a while in the past, and just took a ride with me in it. He said for a small car is sounds good. I think he might have been trying to be nice and not tell me straight that it isn't nearly as loud as his, he has 2 15s ported, but he gave it a good review. He said that it could be tuned more, but in that regard, I am very limited with my HU and have no processor. I was very uneducated when I bought the HU last year.

Sorry for the sketchy review. Wish I could explain more

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I think he might have been trying to be nice and not tell me straight that it isn't nearly as loud as his, he has 2 15s ported, but he gave it a good review.
Sorry for the sketchy review. Wish I could explain more

Well if he's a boomer than take what he says with a grain of salt. It isn't all about LOUD.

Did you ever think about moving the amp off of the baffle board?

I know it might be solid but that not a good place for an amp.

It looks like you have space in front of the baffle on the trunk floor.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It looks nice. But I guarantee your losing some by having those passive radiators in the rear deck. At least that's what they become when that sub gets low.

Sent from your moms bedroom using TapaTalk Pro

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Not too bad. Especially for not having all the proper tools.

Some suggestions for next time:

1) Twist on connectors are typically designed for solid core home wire. Invest in some decent wire crimpers. Kleins (at Home Depot), Channellock (Lowes) or even Harbor Freight have some for cheap...I think mine were like $23. I install for a living and these have held up well. The HF ones I think were like $10. HD also now has some neat looking Dewalt ones I haven't tried yet.

2) For your main power leads (especially under the hood) I'd recommend soldering them. HF has a cheapo little butane torch for under $10 on sale that works great. I use mine frequently.

Don't worry about what someone else says about it. All that matters is if you are happy with it.

Are you running the powerpack AND a 4 channel?

Jay

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yup, you need to ditch those rear deck speakers... to get as much out of an IB install as possible, you need to make the ENTIRE trunk essentially a tightly sealed box.

I ran an IB setup for 15 years hard daily in my old '93 Civic sedan .. 4 10"s w/ 250 watts to each sub... and it made the steering wheel flex while being a very good player when it came to SQ.

But I spent a lot of time going nuts with spay foam, closed cell foam, deadening, etc.

Put a little more time into sealing any hole that you can think of in the trunk to completely seperate it from the cabin of the car, and I bet you'll feel more output.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well if he's a boomer than take what he says with a grain of salt. It isn't all about LOUD.

Did you ever think about moving the amp off of the baffle board?

I know it might be solid but that not a good place for an amp.

It looks like you have space in front of the baffle on the trunk floor.
Besides possible heating problems what else would be the benefits of moving the amp? I placed it there for a bit of show-i-ness

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It looks nice. But I guarantee your losing some by having those passive radiators in the rear deck. At least that's what they become when that sub gets low.

Sent from your moms bedroom using TapaTalk Pro
I agree 100% that those speakers are another weak spot in the setup :/. I'm not quite ready to ditch them. By the end of the summer I might, but I just started up my new job (gotta make that money) and it's taking all my time. A couple ideas I've been thinking about are doubling up on speakers in the front door, maybe putting a pair in the rear door. I've heard talk about 3 way active setups, and they sound pretty cool, so I might look into that to find out what they are and the steps I would need to take to do it, but again, that gets into processing and fully going active (forgive any ignorance in the statement).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Not too bad. Especially for not having all the proper tools.

Some suggestions for next time:

1) Twist on connectors are typically designed for solid core home wire. Invest in some decent wire crimpers. Kleins (at Home Depot), Channellock (Lowes) or even Harbor Freight have some for cheap...I think mine were like $23. I install for a living and these have held up well. The HF ones I think were like $10. HD also now has some neat looking Dewalt ones I haven't tried yet.

2) For your main power leads (especially under the hood) I'd recommend soldering them. HF has a cheapo little butane torch for under $10 on sale that works great. I use mine frequently.

Don't worry about what someone else says about it. All that matters is if you are happy with it.

Are you running the powerpack AND a 4 channel?

Jay
Thank you for the suggestions Jay :) will definitely remember that for the next touch-up/install. The powerpack is running to the rear speakers, and the one under the seat is a 2 channel for the front speakers/tweeters

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yup, you need to ditch those rear deck speakers... to get as much out of an IB install as possible, you need to make the ENTIRE trunk essentially a tightly sealed box.

I ran an IB setup for 15 years hard daily in my old '93 Civic sedan .. 4 10"s w/ 250 watts to each sub... and it made the steering wheel flex while being a very good player when it came to SQ.

But I spent a lot of time going nuts with spay foam, closed cell foam, deadening, etc.

Put a little more time into sealing any hole that you can think of in the trunk to completely seperate it from the cabin of the car, and I bet you'll feel more output.
Thanks for the reply. I've got to pull off the rear deck covering and really get in there. Those speakers are definitely on death row, but when to, erhem, :rifle: , remove them has yet to be determined lol.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts