DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought that I'd start my build log even though some of the items are done now..

Equipment:
Pioneer DEX-P01/DEQ-P01 HU & Processor
Pioneer CDX-680 6-disc Changer
Pioneer CD-IB100II IPod Interface Adapter
(3) SS Reference 300
(2) SS Reference 200
Beyma HT-45 (1" Tweeters)
Beyma SD-35 (3" Dome Midrange)
Beyma Power W6 (6.5" Midbass
Beyma Metal Pro 1000 (10" Subs Discontinued Line)

Intentions:
Build a decent competitive SQ car to compete in MECA Events in the Southern States, mostly TN. CD Changer for the old competition CDs that I acquired back when I used to compete, IPod adapter for when the Significant other is in the car and she wants to hear her tunes, probably going to be changed out for a aux input so I can plug my zune instead (more on this later).

Why run Beyma speakers? A few years ago while at Carl Casper, I was running mix of speakers (Silver Flute, Focal, Memphis) in my previous car (97 Accord Cpe). I had to chance to demo the Beyma Smart Car, some of you will remember that car, had every car speaker in it that they produced and it was all passively crossover. I was looking for something to set me apart for the rest of the competitors. Yes I looked at DLS, new Focal, Diamond, Memphis, and a few other brands, but no one was using Beyma locally and turns out, the Rep is from Dominican Republic and we kinda of grew up in the same Area, and his name is Jose, to top it off. After a few emails, phone calls, research on my end (it's hard to read what some Spaniards write on their forums).. I finally did the deed and replaced all my speakers with Beyma and became the first SQ Competitor running Beyma in the car.

SS Reference amps? Well got a crackedhead deal on them, nah, just kidding. I had a 405 back in the day when I was running CD-1Es and I got a 705 for my kids car, plus some memphis amps too, but was looking for something a little less bulky, clean, and something different.

I'm not skilled in anything related to car audio, so you are probably going to see more mdf than fiberglass or see anything out of this world. So bear with me..

So let's start:

Kick Panels - Ran into an issue early on.
Driver side

Passenger side

After some searching, soul searching, brainstorming, found the solution (Done by another A4 owner):
Driver side

Passenger Side

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Kick's Con't

So I started to see if I could run the 6.5s with out having to build out:
Driver Side

Passenger Side

Didn't happened so I'm still in the middle of working out the kinks on the kick panel. I did create some rough ones to work on the front stage but definitely not something to show. I'm going to redo them after I finalize the pillars first..

Let's run to the trunk for now.. Audi A4s are know to have deep trunks:

Note: the Stock Blose amp on the left.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the subs I decided to stick to sealed. 1.93 cu ft to be exact (yes it's a big box for 2-10s, but it's either that or ported), I went with sealed since I prefer sealed. The box is a Slanted front, nothing fancy..

Front prior to cutting of the holes for the subs

with subs and trim panels. Yes, I measured several times before I made my first cut on the trim panels. Measure twice, cut once.. Measure Multiple times and get it right or start from scratch..

trim panels corners were rounded over

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The amps will have fans mounted from behind pushing air from underneath the amps. they will be controlled by a Stinger Adjustable Fan controller and by a separate switch for during judging so that they do turn on all of a sudden. There will be a metal perforated panels that will cover them to protect them from any objects that I might throw in the Trunk.. There will be a false floor that can be removed to gain access to the spare tire well. The spare tire will be a full stock A4 rim or the donut that is currently in the well, the car will be running Millie Migilia 18 Spyders.

That is all for now, I'll follow up with more of the trunk items (processor, wire distro, etc) , pillars, and wiring later..

·
Human (not a robot)
2,369 Posts
I like this build a lot. Love those old soundstreams. Is there any way you could make the heat sinks fit tighter together?
I think there are screws on the sides holding the end caps on that prevent this....correct?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Notloudenuf -Yes, there's screws on the side that hold the bottom plate to the heatsink. The gap is going to be a good thing, when I start to add the cooling fans (really not expecting the amps to get that hot). They will get mounted on the backside of the rack pushing air thru a slot in the rack.

torontooddysey - Once the wires are moved there's room for the kicks. Some wires and tubes (vacuum locks) get stuck behind the kicks but the most important ones have enough slack to where they can be moved.. I do have an idea for the kicks that will take up less room and use cavities in the car for airspace, just not sure if I want to go that route yet.. (I have in the past in a different car).

Matt - been busy just a little. Been lurking to see what people have done, new techniques, and what I need to be competitive (a lot more than what I was doing or had back in the day).. Man, do I have lots of catching up to do..

So, I'll try to post up more pictures when I can, got lots of items that need to be done and of course, not enough time in the day or enough hands..

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks,

Worked a little bit on the a-pillars. The pillars will have the dome midrange and tweeters. The mids will fire across the dash, best sound overall. The tweeter will be on a pod (to be built). Last time I did this I used PVC to build it and grill cloth to form it. This time I decided to try something different, Popsicle sticks and kitty hair.. So let's get on with it, I spent the weekend trying to find how I was going to mount them, so past two days I spent on how glue the rings to the plastic (hot glue, CA w/activator) but I'd move it and mess up the angle.

Solution?

Then once I framed it out, apply Kitty hair (I used aluminum tape on the inside to key it from filling the hole):

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I waited a while to harden before taking a grater to it to get the rough edges off.. 30-40 minutes later, I have a rough shape that just needs lot less work (sanding and finishing).

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not really an update. Been busy with work related items. I did manage to record a small video of the car playing with a 2-way setup:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Speakers playinng:
HT-45 (Just on the dash not mounted or installed in any shape)
Power W6 Mids (I tried to capture them but too dark in the kick panel area to see them)
Pro 1000 Subs.
No EQ or TA at this point.
Note the Hiss in the background, not a good start..

Recorded with my Samsung Fascinate phone..

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick update, I decided to no continue with this install and will now focus on doing a 5 spd swap on the car and work on some mechanical mods instead..

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
haha! thats my faverate song, i love that live performance, in my system it REALLY fucking shines, than agian it shines in any system its just an awesome fucking song!

that sounds good though, those lows are hitting very nice i love it :D surprised the mic on your phone didn't freak out from the bass.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, the car sounds solid even now with the mids kinda vented in the kicks instead of a sealed enclosure. Just don't have the inspiration to continue working on it.

Ran into too many issues:
- Bad Ref 300
- Dome Midranges cracking sound
- one tweeter Cracking sound
- lost total motivation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts