DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 99 suburban and am trying to install some new mids in the doors. I started with the rear doors and got the grill off. New mids are hitting the magnet on the metal door very badly. I was gonna cut out the metal but window regulator is right there so i cant do that. Somebody suggested just cutting out the grille and mounting speaker there and it looks like that might work, but i was really trying to keep it looking stock. Any suggestions other than buying a slim mount speaker? I got 3 different sets of 6.5" mids and the magnet on all of them hits the metal behind door panel.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
What did you try to install, how deep are they, and by how much are they too deep? And is there no room to add a speaker ring between the door skin and the door panel? If there's, say, 2" between the inner door skin and the door panel (at that point), then you can add around 1.25" of speaker rings to pull the speaker out that much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trying to put selenium 6w4p mids in. They do got a pretty big magnet. with the speaker pushed in against the metal, the grill is a good 3/4" from going on. If i made rings, the speaker would fit but the factory grill wont think about fitting. I also tried a jl xr650 component mid that i had and it hits the door too. I dont want to get slim mids because i am running a lot of power on the mids.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I don't quite understand. If they are too deep, the problem should be that the back of the magnet hits an obstruction before the mounting ring of the driver touches the mounting location on the door, thus making you require a speaker ring, and still possibly having the problem of the door panel not fitting on (which you did just confirm). But what you said seems to imply that everything but the door panel fits.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if i put a trim ring on it the speaker would fit. Only problem would be that the stock grill wont fit on the door. I was asking if there were any other options to keep it looking stock with the stock grill. I guess that wont be happening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it hits the metal on the door. I was just gonna cut the metal out but when i got in there to actually look at it i saw that the regulator is directly behind that area. So that means i cant cut the metal. I might just have to cut a hole out of the factory grille and mount the speaker there. It will work, just wont look the way i wanted it too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts