DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forums, and I need help and opinions on possible speaker placement configuration in my 1971 Mini Cooper - which, for those who do not know, is a tiny car. I've been looking into getting the Alpine SPX-17PRO set-up for my first DIY car audio install mostly because of the tweeters and their supposed amazing range and quality (for the price).

I'm looking to place the 1" tweeters up front in the lining of the dash, and I'll be placing the 6.5" speakers in the back on the rear parcel shelf (where the original horrible 5" speakers used to live).
My Mini's interior is a little more than 5' long from dash to rear windscreen and less than 4' wide from wall to wall. I was wondering if all that I've read about keeping the Alpine SPX-17PRO speakers in axis is a strict guideline or just a preference, considering the small size of my car may be a factor.

I was wondering if this is a bad idea. I just want to install some small speakers (sub 2") in the front, and have great sound overall. The original crummy 5" speakers in the back actually never sounded too bad soley because of the angle of the rear windscreen used to almost project and angle the sound into the cabin very well.

To find give some clarity to my jabbering:
Just Google " Mini Cut in Half "

And the first picture that pops up, should show you the environment this install will take place in.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Bad idea, mount the 6.5" drivers as close as you can to the tweeters, sound stage needs to be in front of you, just like listening to a live concert... never heard of 2" subs,you need to reconsider that one

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only problem is there's physically no place to put larger than 2" tweeters/speakers in the front of the car without strongly impeding on legroom (I'm a big guy). So would I have to just scratch the idea of having speakers in front of me altogether?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and what I meant by sub 2" was that only speakers smaller that 2 inches would fit up front and still maintain stereo sound.

I could technically fit two 4" speakers in the very middle of the dash, but I doubt that would be both audibly and aesthetically pleasing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts