DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and could really use the help. I decided to upgrade the stock system on my 2003 Honda Accord by installing a 4-channel amp pushing 75rms watts, Infinity Kappas in the rear deck, and Infinity Reference 6030cs components in the front. The back speakers sound great but the problem is that the front speakers sound terrible. Specifically, the tweeters are not just harsh, they have severe sibilance. They cause listening fatigue unlike anything I have every heard. They did this prior to an amp install, and now that they are powered, it is even worse. Even when I turn down the treble, S's and T's are super intrusive when pronounced in song.

I really really do not want to use an aftermarket headunit b/c I don't want to lose dual climate control and/or the factory aesthetic, plus I already invested plenty of cash into an aftermarket iPod adapter install. That's my only condition.

With that said, how can I change my setup to have a natural, accurate, detailed sound??? Can I get away with changing out the components in the front? And if so, any recommendation on what to get (under $350)? Not looking for heavy bass, just want accurate sound reproduction with good instrument separation, detail, and no sibilance/harshness!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
It could be the components, it could be the factory HU, which is easier for you to swap out with something to test?

Infinities are well known for a harsh tweeter too...

Sent via TapaTalk via Mind Bullets

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
It's kind of strange that you have Kappas, which are supposed to be better than Reference, in the rear... but either way, people complain a lot about those Infinity speakers. I had no issues with References, but those were coaxials installed off axis in the door.

If you can buy new speakers, I would look into buying something like JL Audio C5s which are supposed to be natural sounding and laid back or HAT Unity. I was going to buy the C5s but then I read a review that HAT Imagines are quite comparable to them, so I went with cheaper HATs. A lot of HAT Imagine users do complain that tweeter plays a little loud in passive component setup, but they sound sweet in active setup. Another interesting speaker set is HAT Unity which is HAT Imagine woofer+ HAT Clarus tweeter and crossover which is supposed to attenuate the tweeter more than Imagines do.

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
Don't know what my advice is worth here but...

I've heard people attenuating tweeters by putting a little felt over the face of the tweeter but you probably need some major cuts in you upper frequencies first. Try installing an decent parametric eq so you can reduce the frequencies causing the problem. They sell on here all the time for cheap.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I know the feeling of not putting after market HU unit, in that case, i would suggest to get a JBL MS-8 sound processor 90% of members have it, or Bit One, Alpine H800, or any other sound processor that will take the signal from your head unit and transfer it to a nice wonderful sounding machine :)

I think that will be your only choice at this moment other than replacing the head unit...

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Don't know what my advice is worth here but...

I've heard people attenuating tweeters by putting a little felt over the face of the tweeter but you probably need some major cuts in you upper frequencies first. Try installing an decent parametric eq so you can reduce the frequencies causing the problem. They sell on here all the time for cheap.
I think the best thing for him at this moment will be a nice EQ like you have stated, or sound processor with build in 31-36 band EQ.

I had the same issue when i installed Massive Audio RK6's 4Khz sounded like ****,, couldn't stand it, i got some extra money went out with Morel all the way... but in his case, its the tweeter sound that he gets. 99% i'm sure its the HU sending the signal.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I have never liked infinity tweeters. just as the OP stated. lots of listening fatigue and not alot of definition since you cant stand to hear them for more than 10 minutes.

I just dont think that felt or EQ or anything can save those tweeters. EQ in my mind is to tame small issues in install, environment then components. if the component is causing the problem, there is little an EQ can do except tone it down, but it will still sound bad.

if you like the woofer, keep it and just replace the tweeters.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I have never liked infinity tweeters. just as the OP stated. lots of listening fatigue and not alot of definition since you cant stand to hear them for more than 10 minutes.

I just dont think that felt or EQ or anything can save those tweeters. EQ in my mind is to tame small issues in install, environment then components. if the component is causing the problem, there is little an EQ can do except tone it down, but it will still sound bad.

if you like the woofer, keep it and just replace the tweeters.
Do you think it might have something to do with crossovers as well?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Do you think it might have something to do with crossovers as well?

in this case no. never heard infinity that sounded good no matter what crossover type, slope, etc. just too bright.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
in this case no. never heard infinity that sounded good no matter what crossover type, slope, etc. just too bright.
If he wants to keep the midst and crossover I would buy Vifa tweeters from parts express they are only 20$ each I really like em. That's what I have for my front stage.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for being so helpful! Really do appreciate it.

Couple of questions to follow-up:

I have been looking at the Vifa tweeters to replace the Infinity tweeters but I keep hearing about how large they are and unfortunately, I already cut into my door panel (top section nearest to the dash) to accommodate my current tweeters Does anyone think any of the Vifa ring radiator tweeters could fit into that space with additional modification?

And if it is an EQ problem, am I correct in understanding that I could install the JBL MS-8 sound processor but keep the factory head unit and its functioning? And if so, would I constantly have to readjust setting for different songs/music genres? This thing looks pretty pricey-- is there anything comparable that would achieve the same ability to keep my factory HU but have a better output, under, say, $400?

Lastly, a more fundamental question-- is there anyone way to know whether it's the HU or it's the components themselves?? Buying new equipment that has to be installed, and the uninstalled if it's isn't a fix, seems like a really expensive process.

Again, thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,833 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am convinced but I just don't know if I can swing $6-700 for the MS8! Is there a way to know for sure whether it is the headunit or the components that are causing the terrible sound? I am sure it is some of both, but if I could just eliminate the biggest offender, that'd be a good start.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am using the stock head unit in my 07 CRV. I am using an MS8 now but before that I just had a generic LOC running to xovers and amps. I never thought the head unit sounded harsh at all. In your case, it could be the tweeters themselves. If the rears sound better you could try switching them out? That will only cost you some time and effort. I've never heard infinity comps so I can't say that they're harsh sounding.

replacing the tweeters might be a good option but if the newer tweeters have the same or have even higher sensitivity, that may not solve the problem.

you could also pad the current tweeters down with resistors

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and could really use the help. I decided to upgrade the stock system on my 2003 Honda Accord by installing a 4-channel amp pushing 75rms watts, Infinity Kappas in the rear deck, and Infinity Reference 6030cs components in the front. The back speakers sound great but the problem is that the front speakers sound terrible. Specifically, the tweeters are not just harsh, they have severe sibilance. They cause listening fatigue unlike anything I have every heard. They did this prior to an amp install, and now that they are powered, it is even worse. Even when I turn down the treble, S's and T's are super intrusive when pronounced in song.

I really really do not want to use an aftermarket headunit b/c I don't want to lose dual climate control and/or the factory aesthetic, plus I already invested plenty of cash into an aftermarket iPod adapter install. That's my only condition.

With that said, how can I change my setup to have a natural, accurate, detailed sound??? Can I get away with changing out the components in the front? And if so, any recommendation on what to get (under $350)? Not looking for heavy bass, just want accurate sound reproduction with good instrument separation, detail, and no sibilance/harshness!

Thanks in advance!
I, not only find the tweeter harsh but, find the mid not revealing @ all... My opinion ;)
I would replace the set altogether with a better set. Some good set have already been mentioned. Try to contact some dealers in order to listen to some of them then make your decision. Use your ears.

Kelvin

·
Banned
60 Posts
does the tweeter issue only occur when using the ipod or is it present when using a cd as well? I've had a similar issue with my polk dxi tweets but it only occurs when using the ipod. guessing it has something to do with the processing and conversion from mp3 if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Sounds like classic infinity issues. Replace them, i had the exact same issues with mine especially with the Kappas but also the reference models. They were bright on HU power and worse with the amp. The mids bottomed very easily as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well, I tried hooking it up to another headunit that I borrowed and that didn't fix it. I think everyone who said that it's the damn Infinity tweeters was absolutely correct. I'll chalk that purchase up to beginner's poor judgment.

How much larger are the Vifa XT-19 compared to my Infinity tweeters? Would I have a hard time fitting them into my upper door panel and do they need special housing/mounting accessories???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts