DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally put the "big" box in my little car. It's 3.25cft tuned to 28hz. The sub is a TC Sounds proto-type driver. Very stiff cone, soft suspension, 3" coil, motor would best be described as a cross between the TC9 and a 3HP but with 9.25" magnet slugs. I have it on a Sundown 1500d @ 2ohms. Would guess 600w with the gain settings currently. This thing needs very little power to get loud. Sub will reach 22hz with-out unloading and has great pitch and note distinction. Not a one note groan monster.

·
Registered
539 Posts
looks big. nice.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It takes up all the cargo space. I have about 5" from the sub to the back of the car. Will be picking up some alum for the amp rack. Will be stacking a Sundown 1500d, 125.2, and a 50.4 in their. Have a couple more Kinitic 1800 that will go in front of the box behind the rear seat. Shooting for a Sundown 2000 later this summer so would like to have the reserve power on tap. The 125.2 will be powering a pr of TC Sounds RMB6.5 in each door, Cadence dome mids and Vifa small face XT25s will be in the a-pillers ran off the 50.4. This is my daily driver/run around car. I like it to sound good but be able to really rock if I ask it too. For a reference I listin to Matalica, Seether, Therory of a Ded Man, and Nickleback. Preety happy so far with the box. I have been player several different subs in it over the last couple weeks and doubt the proto will stay for long. But so far its been a great sub. Best $90 bucks I've spent

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry didn't think to take any. Have found that the sub has more mechanical excursion that the motor has room for. Preety easy to tap the former on the back plate. If I ever blow it, think a machined spacer might be in order. The other "odd" part id the pole extends above the top plate by over a inch. Not uncommen but surprised me on this sub.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I dont think there is anything that can be a cross between a tc9 and a 3hp (they are motors only) Really has to do with width of the motor and weight of the ceramic used in the motor.. Either way looks good. Thats the cone I have on my 18 and i love it!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont think there is anything that can be a cross between a tc9 and a 3hp (they are motors only) Really has to do with width of the motor and weight of the ceramic used in the motor.. Either way looks good. Thats the cone I have on my 18 and i love it!
The backplate and pole piece look like the design from the 3hp motor. The top plate is closer to a TC9 piece. Also uses a 2 magnet slugs like the TC9. I think a TC9 uses 8" slugs, the 3hp's are 8.5's, these are 9.25". It was just a way to descibe the look of the motor. As for motor design. I have designed and built several motors. Magnets force, airgap width and legnth, pole piece material/thickness/legnth, motor alignment, shorting rings, vc thickness/length/density, ect, ect. Yeah their are lots of things that make a motor is own design.

I do agree the cone is very nice. Looks to be a paper and maybe hemp fiber cone. Wish I could find some surronds like it uses. Very similar to the DD surrond. Also wish I had the T/S specs for it. Might have to look into a speaker tester from PE.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts