DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think I reached the limit of overdriving the Audison. It is on the bottom of the amp rack below my NVX sub amp, so airflow is almost non-existent. Even playing at a very moderate volume, I put the amp into thermal shutdown about 2 hours into a long drive this past Friday with ambient temperatures in the 90s. I'd consider this almost worst case as I typically don't drive for that length of time. At any rate, I should probably not abuse the amp any more by running 2 ohm midbass drivers on a couple of bridged channels, so the Infinities need to go.

Audiofrog currently hasn't done me wrong, but I'm unsure if the GS60 is what I should upgrade to. It would fit in my existing speaker mounts which is a plus, but I've heard there are better drivers. It seems like many are unobtanium though, like those from SI or NVX. I'd like to keep the budget around $300 or less. Used is okay. The Audison gives me about 130w to play with on a 4 ohm load.
I just read this entire thread. I’ve came to the conclusion that you are a complete askhole. Ask questions, ignore the answers, and do what you had already planned on doing. I find your kind pathetic. Good day!

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
Removed

·
Registered
44 Posts
I love your progress...you are enjoying the process and making things better as you go! Don't let a few bad eggs spoil your fun! The Audiofrog equipment is great stuff and your confidence in what they bring to the table is a great motivation. Being confident and fulfilled is a big portion of the process in my opinion. That Audio Development W800neo 8" midbass 8" speaker would really fill in the midbass in the front of your soundstage...just a thought! If you have the room...GO BiG baby!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I am researching 8s as well. The upgraded factory system comes with 8" drivers so I know that some will fit, but I've already blown some bucks on getting adapters for the Kappas. Their dimensions are unique and smaller than most other 6.5" drivers, but they are very similar to the GS60s so I believe they would drop in. I'd likely be in for another set of adapters if I go elsewhere, but hell, this system has already eclipsed my original budget by a decent margin...

The Kappa midbass actually sounds pretty good, but I have a feeling its impedence is contributing to the amp shutting down (which it did again at the 2 hour mark coming home). I had trepidation letting the installer bridge a couple channels going to these 2ohm drivers, but he assured me from experience that the Audison would take it...

The W800s look like well-respected drivers, but are at least twice my budget. If I were prepared to pony up $600+ for midbass, I'd probably have gone with the GB midranges as that upgrade made the biggest difference. Midranges are definitely worth shelling out for.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I mailed it in and picked up a pair of GS60s. They fit my existing adapters and were under my budget. They sound good, but are the least important drivers in my setup, IMO. The kappas actually did a pretty good job and have similar, if not better construction. The Frogs, however, have their signature smoothness and just don't get uncomfortable. I ended up leaving the tune alone, only dropping the HPF to 60hz. They seemed to take it in stride, and it brought the front stage forward just a bit more. I still have a nagging resonance in the passenger front door. I think it is still the control box, despite several layers of RAAMmat and ensolate. As a former Harman employee, I wonder if Andy designed any of the speakers I was so fond of 20 years ago, as the AF stuff has really grabbed me in the same way.

I'm sure there are a few "points" left on the table if I passed off my laptop to someone more skilled than I to tune the DSP, but I am pretty darn happy now with the way the car sounds. Downside is that I learned just how loud I sometimes listen to music. I left REW open while I cranked AC/DC, the Cult, and "Beat It." All killer midbass. 100db is really nothing, but it's something...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts