DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here to posting, I haven't come on here much, but I have lurked a bit and gotten a lot of info from previous threads.

I'm building a system in my Nissan Titan, I like good clean sound, it doesn't have to be near competition quality or anything, I just want some good clean, not over powering highs and good mids. My front stage is going to be a 5 1/4" in the door and some tweets in the dash.

I have two options right now and want opinions on both, are they even comparable, I don't know...

I know how great the A/D/S 345is speakers are, but I'm looking at some Alpine SPX-13PRO's and the specs really make them out to be a great set of speakers. Do these speakers even compare in how they sound? How much should I look at spending for each? Are the highs similar or what are the strengths and weaknesses of each? They will be running off an MB Quart PAB5400 if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you may have.

·
Former Installator
217 Posts
I can vouch for the 345is's being great speakers... but you know whatever you buy will be ebay old stock that's years old. a/d/s went out of business a while back...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can vouch for the 345is's being great speakers... but you know whatever you buy will be ebay old stock that's years old. a/d/s went out of business a while back...
Right, I understand that, these are supposedly NIB, would it make a difference that they are that old if they haven't been used?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as they are new in the box you are ok, why did you settle on a 5.25" and not a 6.5"?
I've just never liked the mids in a 6 1/2", I actually have PG Xenon6.5's in there right now and it just doesn't sound right. My install is effed up which might account for the poor sound, but I have always preffered 5 1/4". I'd love to have 6 1/2" for mid bass and some 4" for the mids, but I don't want to get that deep right now.

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
I've just never liked the mids in a 6 1/2", I actually have PG Xenon6.5's in there right now and it just doesn't sound right. My install is effed up which might account for the poor sound, but I have always preffered 5 1/4". I'd love to have 6 1/2" for mid bass and some 4" for the mids, but I don't want to get that deep right now.
There are plenty of 6.5" that will give excellent midrange along with better midbass than a 5.25". What are you planing on crossing over the components and sub at?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be honest I'm just going to tweek it until I like the sound. I'm not 100% on which sub I am using, so far it may be an MB Quart Reference 12", I need to build a box and see how it sounds. I'm just trying to get a decent system together right now and I may go deeper later, I'll probably be back asking about how to tweek it more later, but for now I just want to start with a pretty/very good front stage and that will make me happy for a while.

The other thing about the 6 1/2" is I'd probably have to seal the door better and deaden it so it doesn't rattle. I was trying to just throw a good system together quick and then go back later and tweek it a little if need be.

Any opinions on the Alpines? What is an average price I should expect to spend on either pair?

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Now, don't be hating on 5.25... lots of them play great midrange and do a far better job on female vocals...
Where did you get the idea that anyone was saying they arent good on midrange? I simply stated that the midbass would be alot better on a 6.5" and the midrange will be just as good as a 5.25"

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Wasn't saying you did, man. Misunderstanding is all... just saying that for some listeners, the better midrange in some 5.25s is worth it - not saying you criticized the mids of a 5.25. Sorry if I said that unclear.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
My vote would be for the 345is but I'm a little biased, I'll admit I'm an a/d/s/ fanboy.

I'm going to be putting my 346is mids, 335PX crossovers, and PX tweeters up for sale soon if you'd like something even smoother than the 345is set.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My vote would be for the 345is but I'm a little biased, I'll admit I'm an a/d/s/ fanboy.

I'm going to be putting my 346is mids, 335PX crossovers, and PX tweeters up for sale soon if you'd like something even smoother than the 345is set.

And how much $$$ am I looking at for either set? There's just none available to even research the prices, give me a ballpark figure here...

Is $250 for a NIB set of the Alpines good? Any opinions on the Alpines?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Having played with those A/D/S speakers for quite a while I must say regardless of how old they might be they'd still outshine a lot of other decent brands I have played with,especially these 5's the midbass is just WOW!!

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I've got a set of the SPX-17PROS that I've put in the front of my suv, but it will be a little while before I can get them powered up and into testing and auditioning. From what I've heard, they are amazing, especially with the tweeter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've got a set of the SPX-17PROS that I've put in the front of my suv, but it will be a little while before I can get them powered up and into testing and auditioning. From what I've heard, they are amazing, especially with the tweeter.
Do you know what an average price is for the 13PRO? They're all over ebay for about $300-$350 right now, but it doesn't look like they are selling.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Do you know what an average price is for the 13PRO? They're all over ebay for about $300-$350 right now, but it doesn't look like they are selling.
Dunno.

I also feel like you should maximize and go w/ the 17's though. These have excellent midrange but are lacking in mid-bass with the 17, so you gotta think that the 13 will not help matters. I chose them because the DIYMA's in the trunk will handle the lower mid-bass just fine at a higher cross point.

I bought mine for $315 shipped. some guy on our forum was selling his new PRO's for $250 shipped. That's damn good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts