DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been helping a friend out with a new stereo setup for his car (he had the $$, not me :( ), and i have a few questions regarding the install. Before that, i'll list the parts he'll be using:

Seas CA18's
Seas 27xxx's (the magnesium alloy metal dome tweets)
Eclipse 5444
Coustic xm6
Hifonics amp (forgot model number, rated [email protected] rms)

His car is a '96 manual nissan maxima.

Now to the questions:

1)Speaker locations:
The initial plan had been to fabricate kick panels, however the proximity of the clutch quickly killed that idea. Currently, we plan on mounting the CA18's in the door with some heavy deadening, but are unsure about the tweeter location. His car has the bose system, and there is a mounting location for a tweeter in the front windshield pillar (A-pillar?) which is aimed directly across the dash at dash height. The next option would be to fabricate very small kick panels down near the mids and place the tweeters there. The third option is to cut a spot in the door panel and put the tweets there. This is undesirable, however, as he would like to keep from cutting up the interior trim. So basically, which do you guys think is the best option? I have read that having large distances between tweet and mid is bad for imaging, so i would assume that option 2 or 3 would be superior, but i'm not 100% sure. Also, is it bad to have one speaker mounted on axis while the other is mounted off axis (option 2)?

2)crossover points:
This question is related to the first one. Basically, how would the xover pts. need to be changed depending on where the tweeter is positioned, if at all? Also, do you guys have a set routine you go through in trying to figure out the xover point for a particular setup?

Thx for any help guys.

-Devin

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
1) While my opinion may be a departure from the norm, I think imaging is overrated. It's a car. It's going to be difficult to install sometimes. I'm generally much more concerned with making certain occlusion isn't an issue (legs get in the way, for example, and this causes noticable differences as the frequency rises) and that the relative levels between tweeter and woofer are ideal and uniform across both L and R. Oftentimes, these concerns clash with imaging concerns.

Basically, my advice to you is to try it in several locations temporarily (velcro is your friend!). This doesn't mean try it for a few minutes in one spot, then another, etc. It means mounting it in one spot, driving around like that for a week, and then trying another. A lot of times you'll hear a difference and not like it just because you're not used to it, so extending the time really gives it a chance.

You might also be able to play with the aiming in the stock locations, depending on how much room is in the dash.

2) Again, adjust by ear.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts