DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 6 months I have been streaming bluetooth from my Samsung phone to my Dayton dsp. As I continue to try to get my system dialed in, I think the sound could be better. When I had the system installed I had them run a 3.5mm to rca cable so I could also try wired connection. But I bought a cheapo cable off ebay and it produces a slight alt whine that is super annoying. The whine isn't present when streaming bluetooth. So is an upgraded cable the solution? Shielded, double shielded, ofc, ofhc? Audioquest evergreen is $72. Blue jeans is $62. Any others I should look at?
Also is it possible I just have a bad cable path? I'd hate to spend the money on a cable and get the same alt whine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would recommend trying one of the Amazon Basics or Monoprice cables first as a "low- cost" solution to eliminate the possibility that you may simply have a bad cable.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
The typical Monoprice cables are coax so I wonder if that would make it resistant enough to noise? I ordered two the other day to use my Fiio in the house and truck. I agree, Bluetooth audio generally sucks compared to a good solid wired connection.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you get alternator whine only while phone is charging or does it not matter? I'd suspect the noise is mostly from ground loop introduced by the charger.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
For the past 6 months I have been streaming bluetooth from my Samsung phone to my Dayton dsp. As I continue to try to get my system dialed in, I think the sound could be better. When I had the system installed I had them run a 3.5mm to rca cable so I could also try wired connection. But I bought a cheapo cable off ebay and it produces a slight alt whine that is super annoying. The whine isn't present when streaming bluetooth. So is an upgraded cable the solution? Shielded, double shielded, ofc, ofhc? Audioquest evergreen is $72. Blue jeans is $62. Any others I should look at?
Also is it possible I just have a bad cable path? I'd hate to spend the money on a cable and get the same alt whine.

The proximity of a cable to sources where it would pick up alt whine is the first thing to look at. Even a great, well shielded cable could pick up noise depending on how it's run... I would look at that first.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you get alternator whine only while phone is charging or does it not matter? I'd suspect the noise is mostly from ground loop introduced by the charger.
I'm such a noob. I was only getting the alternator whine when the phone was charging. Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll still upgrade the cable next time I plan on having the car apart.

So what I've really been trying to accomplish is make sure I have a quality connection for this new addition I picked up on black Friday sale. IFI Nano iDSD black label. I have a premium tidal subscription and I stream pretty much 100% of my music in the car. With this DAC I can take full advantage of the MQA recordings. Samsung phone to DAC to DSP. I have to admit I had some buyer's remorse while I waited for it to arrive, thinking how good could it really be. After a couple of days of listening I am blown away. The soundstage really opened up. Not just wide but depth as well. And the MQA tracks are impressive. I should probably do a separate review on it. For now I'll say it was worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Always more than what I like to pay but I have not been let down by iFi yet. Good products. Also +1 for the Blue Jeans MSA-1 Cable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interested in the DAC application.

My 2009 doesn’t stream and with an upgraded sound system I was looking for the best wired connection available for playing lossless files. Options are an old iPhone 3 used as a dedicated iPod but it has limited memory, especially with Apple lossless files. It sounds the same as the Y-Cable connection for my iPhone 11 Pro that can hold my entire library. I am also testing a USB stick to play WAV files. I haven’t been satisfied with that so far but plan on more testing.

The one that stands out as the best sounding source is when I use my Oppo HA-2SE Portable Headphone Amplifier and DAC. It supports iPhone and Android. I connect my iPhone to the DAC with the lightning to USB cable than connect the 3.5 mm stereo line out to the cars 3.5 mm AUX input. I just bought a 3ft Monoprice 3.5mm Flat TRS Audio Patch Cable that makes it very easy to close the center console cover with the cable connected to the console located AUX input. I have a few Blue Jeans MSA-1 cables for other applications. Unfortunately, Oppo got out of the home audio business. I really like their products.

https://www.oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-2SE/

I’m surprised by the improvement in sound going through the DAC, I really didn’t expect it. The problem is I lose the CIC integration including steering wheel control and album art. OK if I am happy to just play albums or play lists without skipping songs since with the DAC I need to use the iPhone to make changes.

I am planning a system for my X6 and again want the ideal connection for the highest resolution playback.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts