DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so this is my first time actually putting an amp to all speakers in my car and I have run into various problems that I am sure google could answer after browsing through a couple hundred forum posts. Some background most of this equipment came out of my old car with the exception of a new amp to power the 6.5's in the car, sub, and amp for the sub. (the amp that used to connect to the wires disappeared about the same time the sub left my trunk one night)

Having ground loop issues(alternator whine and a slight clicking that sounds like my injectors). Previous car had none. Have tried running the RCA's in different places and no luck it can just get quieter or louder. The cables when I bought them were nothing special but worked with no noise so I didn't complain. Would upgrading the RCA's to a set with better shielding solve this? If so any recommendations? Cost is not an issue if it solves the problem.

For my new sub I decided I would go with a ported box instead of sealed. Does the port volume count as box volume or should I subtract that?

When running things though WinISD a round port seems to do the same as a slotted but takes up much less room. Any reason to go with slotted over round?

Grounding the second amp. Should I use a block or just run a wire to the same spot as the first is grounded?

For the second amp turn on lead can I just branch it off the first amp or do I need to run a separate line from the head unit?

The amps are placed one under each seat in my 05 civic si. The power and rca's are run on opposite sides of the car. Hopefully this is all the issues I come across with the rest of this cars audio. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Napoleon of DIYMA
846 Posts
1. Is your deck a Pioneer?
2. Substract
3. not really, you chose what is the easiest for you.
4. I would fix #1 first
5. you can cascade from the other amp

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Head unit is a Kenwood KDC-X493.

·
Napoleon of DIYMA
846 Posts
RCA unplugged at the amp do you still get the noise?

HAve you tried different ground point for the HU and amp?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the RCA unplugged I get no noise. I have not tried a different spot since the issue stopped when the cables were unplugged and the noise changed by the location of the RCA's.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So almost all the questions have been answered. So lastly does the quality of RCA cable really help block out some of that noise? And if so can anyone recommend a good cable instead of me guessing off what marketing is saying?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
does your RCA's run by any power wires? Unless they're like cheapest RCA's ever, they should be ok. I have the Stinger HPM's and have never had noise with them. High dollar RCA's aren't generally worth it and made up of stories, magic, and smoke and mirrors, not your dollars. Since I bought my stinger's I've never looked into anything else so I can't comment on any new RCA's.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The RCA's are currently running down the middle of the car. I have moved them they were running down the right side of the car but decided to try a little cleaner install area. The power runs down the left side of the car. I get the same amount of noise in the middle as I do running them down the right side. When I did buy them years ago they were pretty cheap. My thought at the time is this costs a couple bucks I am just going to grab it and if it doesn't work go for better. So if the technology has advanced much at all they would probably be the wires you buy for like $2 for 25ft... Just clear wire... ressembles speaker wire with RCA ends...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will give it a shot. Going to have to tear apart things and get measurements so I know I have enough but not too much. When I was just reusing my old wires I didn't care about bunching up some wire(in my case a lot of wire) the run is only about 5ft if I go down the middle but will probably rerun them back on the other side of the car just because it feels more correct than running it down the mid. Mainly just wanted to check about if it was hype or not.

I didn't think about hooking my iphone to the amp but probably a good idea to try out since I can get the wire away from everything.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So finally got around to fixing it this weekend. I am not sure which thing fixed the problem but new rca cables, amp rack, new ground for the head unit, and ran new speaker wire for all speakers. I now have no noise except a slight hissing if I turn the volume up very loud with no sound coming through. I think that is normal. Probably was overkill but I figured it was easier to do everything than one at a time. Now to start looking for a H/O alternator.

·
Napoleon of DIYMA
846 Posts
Good, glad you resolve the issue

·
Registered
274 Posts
For the second amp turn on lead can I just branch it off the first amp or do I need to run a separate line from the head unit?
Branch it for 3 amps.....after that use a relay. Depending on the amp it may put a fairly high load on the op amp in the deck used to supply the 12v to the remote turn on. Some peeps will say its OK to run 7+ amps on a remote without a relay....hell I did it myself but also remember loosing a fairly high number of good decks over the years.

~JH

·
Registered
274 Posts
Branch it for 3 amps.....after that use a relay. Depending on the amp it may put a fairly high load on the op amp in the deck used to supply the 12v to the remote turn on. Some peeps will say its OK to run 7+ amps on a remote without a relay....hell I did it myself but also remember loosing a fairly high number of good decks over the years.

~JH

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input. From your guys help and a little extra googling both amps are connected and noise free. Now just have to break down and find a h/o alternator since my 2 amps alone almost double the power that my alternator is capable of if I turned the volume up to max :/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts