DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I should have done this back when I registered, about a month ago now. I registered on this site because I wanted to view what others had done about after market installations on Dodge Rams. I have a 2001 Ram Quad Cab with 60k on it. I use it for odds and ends, and expect to own it forever.

Had a factory Infinity system in it, and it didn't sound very good. To show you how little I know about this stuff (I'm hear to learn, and never plan on becoming a regular on the car audio show circuit), I didn't realize until ripping out the Alpine ida-001 head unit, that the reason the truck sounded as bad as it did, is because I didn't know well enough to shut off the head unit amplifier. Again, here to learn.

I've found it frustrating to try to find info here, because using search consistently brings up information that is over my head. I started my install, plan on having it mostly complete this weekend, but the more I read, the more I think I've blown it.

I just want some tips on very basic stuff that I can't seem to find here. Mostly regarding my first amp install.

1. I get that the RCA/speaker wires need to be seperated from the power wires, but is there a standard for distance to keep them apart?

2. I always thought amps needed a ton of air movement to keep cool. Browsing the DIYMA build logs, seems like they don't need as much as I thought. What are some of the basics for amp location to take into account, specific to overheating issues? Up until literally today, planned to put it under a front seat of the truck, but really like the thought of behind the rear seat on a amp rack.

3. Any information on initial amplifier settings? From what I've found, I understand the basics of setting gain. (3/4 Head unit volume, turn up gain until distortion, back off), and that's about it. Really don't understand the frequency/hrz/ohms.

Finally, for those who haven't fallen asleep...I originally planned the following system basics, Infinity Kappa Component speakers in the front, infinity coaxials in the rear, and a Kappa Sub in a custom built box. Power from an Infinity Kappa 5 channel amp. I have no clue how they compare to other brands, or how they rate...simply chose them for my first attempt at a system because it was a matching system so I knew I wouldn't screw up my RMS numbers and ruin something.

Only change will be the amp, which will now be a Kicker zx 5 channel.

Your tips would be greatly appreciated, and feel free to point me to whatever threads that cover this that I haven't been able to locate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey im a lil late here as well, alot of the info was over my head as well, but ive learned a LOT in the past month or so!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts