DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'd like some opinions.
I just picked up a Rockford Fosgate Punch 400-4 for a killer deal, I practically robbed it. Got a refurb for 139.99. Not to shabby.
I also picked up Phoenix Gold Rsd 6x9s and 5.25 component set. They are rated for 60 wrms each.
I will be getting all of this shortly.
It says that the amp draws 80 amps. My alternator is stock 105. I do not want to kill it by all means, I have a Grand Am, I know they have a lot of electrical stuff.
Can I also add my JBL amp (Which wants a total of 60 amps) and my alternator being fine?

So a break down. JBL wants 60 amps, Rockford wants 80 amps. JBL puts out 360RMS, Rockford would put out 60 per channel for a total of 240RMS.
So, that is a total of base-line 500watts RMS, but 140 amps. My alternator is 105amps, plus it has to power all my other electrical stuff as well.....
Which should I follow. I do not want to burn up my alternator, I will however be doing the big three upgrade on this vehicle. My battery is just a regular plain-jane battery.

Basically, what I will be doing for the time being until I can get enough money to buy the subwoofers I want, is run just the 4 channel amp. I know that will be more than enough sound, but I also like the subwoofers to kind of fill it all in you know? Since the lowest that my 6x9s are rated to go is 55hz. That leaves a fair gap in bass, plus 6x9s wont give me the thump in the chest.
I had planned on adding the JBL amp in at a later time. Could I do this without killing my car or having my lights dim or what have you?
Or do I have to upgrade the alternator/battery.
Thanks so much

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, from what I have read.
I seemed to get lots on conflicting information, however. I can provide more information to make it a little more detailed.
This will be for in care, while driving listening only.
So, basically only time stereo will be on is when I am driving. Very little "show-off" time will be employed.

Second. My bettery is OEM nothing special, alternator is stock, 7 years old. Rated at 105 amps.
Not sure what the ratios are or what have you, maybe someone knows off hand for how much my car generally uses and how much is free. SInce everything is stock.
Anyway, from what I read, a I may be out of luck since both my amps are Class AB.
JBL GTO 3501, and Rockford Fosgate Punch 400-4.

I can do the big three, if I still get dimming get a deep cell battery? After that is it still persists, get a larger alternator.
I know I should be fine with just the one amp (I hope anyway) I am not so confidant about adding the sub amp....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looked at all of them except the top one, I missed that one.
It says on Rockfords specs that it is 71% efficient when powering at 4 ohms, which I will be doing.

Well, from what I am reading, my best guess is that it should be fine under normal driving circumstances for both of them, since it esentialy said that a 60 amp alternator can run 500wrms. Which, would be roughly what I would use. Also, chances of me blaring it are little since I do value hearing, I was going more for SQ then SPL.
Anyway.
Upgrade big three, one amp should be just fine. Upgrade battery to deep cell if any problems happen, then upgrade alternator. That is what I basically get from what I read.
Is there anything i missed?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,228 Posts
Thanks for explaining that, now I don't have to read all that stuff. lol

It will work just fine as is. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts