DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NGUyEN! or whoever has experiece with 07's

A friend gave me a pair of CDT 07's midbass drivers for my b-day. :D Since i have it, i might as well put it to good use. lol In Nguyen's recent review the cdt's are very comparable to the G18's in midrange clarity and dynamics...but lack the G18's low end. I won't be using this driver as a Midbass but more of a midrange. :shock: in kicks. :shock: :shock: These drivers are meant for IB use in doors but i already have teh Seas w18 in the doors. Nguyen since you tested these babies out, how high would you cross these babies in kicks? I know kicks aren't what these speakers are meant for and air space would be a big determining factor. BUT! would i be ok just using them as a dedicated midrange? Say 200hz to 4khz? HOw much air space would be needed? .5cuft per stuffed with polyfill and sealed off be enough? ..or the only way to go is porting to outside of the vehicle? ( i really don't want to do this ) :cry:

SOrry for all the questions but CDT doesn't list specs for sealed enclosures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
^^He also said "My first impression is that NONE of them can touch the Seas W18 Excel"

..and you have the W18's! :shock:

from 2khz down, the W18's should own it...why would you want to change that...?

...and youre running LCY's right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i have the w18s. i really don't want to play the lcy's down that low. I actually prefer the top end of the lcy more than it's midrange. Plus it's hard as heck to get good centered imaging if the lcy played down that low / w18 that high as well. :D or is it just me? did you have better results with a 2 way vinh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i agree on the w18 comment though.. first impression on build quality, the w18 seems to be in an entirely different league.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,978 Posts
for all its worth I ran mine from 63hz to 4khz

and I didnt feel I was lacking midbass at all. in comparison to my dls 8" I only lost a few db from 63 hz to 100 hz using the cdt, but of course I have HUGE doors with a ton of airspace

I wish those w18 could play higher. I want to try the 5" but Id have to change out m lpg's

but I REALLY want a mid to play as much as the midrange as possible

happy hunting
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comment newtitan.. according to don, he states" that 7 is flat like a flat chested 4 year old ...to about 8k i believe" :D Anyone has graphs of these babie?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Daitrong,

Are you coming to the IASCA ID show this Sunday?

Or..youre located in Orange County, right? IS300, right?

Id like to check out your car, if thats ok? ..you could check out my ghetto install too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no, i'm located in Riverside right now...but my parent's house is in Orange County though. When the car's finally done i'll come down and hit you guys up =]

Btw, the dash cover for the Is300 came in.. looks pretty nice. Not worth the 40 bucks though, maybe more like 20-25 ish.
 

·
DIYMA Founder
Joined
·
4,757 Posts
You do realize .5cf is 6"x6"x12" of net internal volume? :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
daitrong said:
no, i'm located in Riverside right now...but my parent's house is in Orange County though. When the car's finally done i'll come down and hit you guys up =]
:( ..finish soon pls.

daitrong said:
Btw, the dash cover for the Is300 came in.. looks pretty nice. Not worth the 40 bucks though, maybe more like 20-25 ish.
Can you email me pictures, please? I totally forgot about that thing...too worried about what i should change my setup too... :?

daitrong said:
did you have better results with a 2 way vinh?
iono..im kinda bias... i think mines pretty good.

Nguyen's, is definitely good and his are xovered around 1.5khz-ish - i think..... < but his not using LCY's..

Are you using time alignment?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
npdang said:
You do realize .5cf is 6"x6"x12" of net internal volume? :eek:
i thought it was 12" x 12" x 6" ...?

:p
 

·
DIYMA Founder
Joined
·
4,757 Posts
HAHAHA :)

I have my Seas w18 crossed at 2khz, 4th order acoustic.

Check out the review forum I posted the fr plots for the xxx, cdt07, and the G18RNX/P.

Will post the distortion and waterfall plots tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the passenger side won't be much of a problem getting .5cuft. THe driver side the kicks will extend down quite a bit for it to be .5cuft. So what's your opinion on it? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
daitrong said:
the passenger side won't be much of a problem getting .5cuft. THe driver side the kicks will extend down quite a bit for it to be .5cuft. So what's your opinion on it? :)
IMO,




these kickpanels are pretty big and i would guess they are about theyre about .25~.35 ft³

i think its going to be hard to get .5 ft³
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'm aware of that man! Sheesh. I didn't ask for any rude remarks. Just will it work? and if so what are the trade offs that you can think of...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
I have mine crossed over from 50 Hz to 3.6 kHz and they handle it beautifuly. I don't think 4 kHz is a problem for them, they really are a very nice set of mids. My favorite to date.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
daitrong said:
i'm aware of that man! Sheesh. I didn't ask for any rude remarks. Just will it work? and if so what are the trade offs that you can think of...
sorry, i wasnt aware i was making a rude remark...

i dont know anything about those CDT drivers, so youll probably just have to try it to find out.

i think the major trade off would be losing the lower/middle midrange qualities of the Seas Excel drivers...

may i ask what xover points you are currently using..?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's all good man, no harm done. i think the heat has been getting to all of us. lol :D

I have this all out crazy idea to get the kicks to be about .5 cubes.. or at least around .4 cubes.


xover points won't be concrete until i get them in of course. but they'll be strictly midrange duties.. 200hz / 2rd order if i can pull it off or 315 hz 3rd order. ... up to 4khz ish. Crossing the ribbons low just totally messes up imaging ( or maybe you had better results vinh? ) since they have such a wide dispersion.

I love the topend more then the midrange of LCY 130 ribbons. . I guess i like more *full bodied vocals vs. light and pretty. I've used CDT before and wish it was just a bit more detailed. According to the testimonials the 07 mid driver has the body and umph along with the detail known to the seas. Ideally a 4 inch driver would be easier to implement but i 07 was given as a very nice gesture ot me. I can't sell it since i got it as a gift... that would be disrepectful no? lol

Plus the fact that i've always wanted to try an oversized midrange in kicks. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
daitrong said:
It's all good man, no harm done. i think the heat has been getting to all of us. lol :D

I have this all out crazy idea to get the kicks to be about .5 cubes.. or at least around .4 cubes.


xover points won't be concrete until i get them in of course. but they'll be strictly midrange duties.. 200hz / 2rd order if i can pull it off or 315 hz 3rd order. ... up to 4khz ish. Crossing the ribbons low just totally messes up imaging ( or maybe you had better results vinh? ) since they have such a wide dispersion.

I love the topend more then the midrange of LCY 130 ribbons. . I guess i like more *full bodied vocals vs. light and pretty. I've used CDT before and wish it was just a bit more detailed. According to the testimonials the 07 mid driver has the body and umph along with the detail known to the seas. Ideally a 4 inch driver would be easier to implement but i 07 was given as a very nice gesture ot me. I can't sell it since i got it as a gift... that would be disrepectful no? lol

Plus the fact that i've always wanted to try an oversized midrange in kicks. :D
well.. its the fact that the person got you a gift, and not really the gift that they got you that counts.. im sure they'd understand if you truely wanted something else.. perhaps...

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=709415.25807&pid=981

or Magnesium version

http://seas.no/PDF data excel 05/W15CH001E0037.pdf

or even the new Nextel Coated Paper version

http://seas.no/PDF data excel 05/W15LY001E0041.pdf

or just the regular version..

http://seas.no/PDF data excel 05/W15CY001E0015.pdf

im sure if they spend that much money, they want You to be happy rather then have you distress about the gift that they got you.. just explain the situation.. :wink:

IMO, i have a pretty solid center stage and pretty good spacing between the 7 drums on the IASCA cd (well i used to, but im not sure about now since havent listen to that track since ive re-installed/re-tuned my LCY/L18 combo after i had my 3-way Lotus setup for a while)..

usually, when people (me and the people i chat with, at least) talk about center stage, its usually about a 'centered vocal'..
(that sometimes changes from recording to recording)

well.. i have my mids at 1.1khz @ 6db slope (L), 1.1khz @ 12db slope (R), and both tweeters at 2.2khz @ 24db slopes. honestly, when i turn off my mids, theres not too much vocals coming out of the tweeters.. but when i turn off my tweeters, a large portion of the vocals come from the mids (centered).

i think what im trying to get at is, above 2khz, the center stage (vocals) isnt affected too much.. (im not saying that it doesnt, just not that much..)

and about the full-bodied part, that can be easily solved with Tube Driver Blue amps... :wink: or maybe you can play with some eq frequencies to get it to where you like it...

here it is! finally found it!



see..all of the vocal range is under 2khz..!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I get what you're trying to say. When i had some morel WR4's in the kick location along with the Lcy's ... playing from 300- 2.0 khz, the vocals seemed really diffused and not smack dab centered. The vocals would shift slightly from track to track. but once i moved the xover points up to 3.5 - 4 khz the vocals seemed more centered and easily localized. I'm not exactly sure why but i believe it's due to the wide dispersion of the LCY's... it'll be hard imo to get good midrange imaging with that driver. One thing i like to mention is at that time i didn't have underdash panels to stop reflection so that has to be taken in to consideration. Anyway , if you figure out a niffy way to solve this problem when you fiddle with your 2 way... let me know =]

I'm going more of a simple amplifier set up this time around and don't want to purchase another amplifier. =] And i don't believe the tubes will give me the *warmer realistic sound i want. I've auditioned a few tubes at Beach Auto Sound and imo, it didn't warm up the sound all that much. Right now i'm trying to get the set up sounding as great as possible with as little eqing as possible.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top