DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm almost done w/ my next build but I still need to get a few things. Other than a big mono amp the only other issue I have holding me up is fiberglassing my 3" midrange and 4" large format tweeters into the a-pillars. I have somewhat of a good idea on how to fiberglass them in but I was hoping for some pics, build logs, or tips to get some more ideas on what to do. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Might look a little cluttery but I think I can make it look decent. Maybe a single 3" or 4" full range driver might be a better alternative on the dash/a-pillars? I'm also not sure if I should go with the tweet or midrange on top or bottom, the tweeter is bigger so it'd look a little funny being on top but shouldn't the tweeter be on top SQ wise?

·
The Anti-Rice
2,524 Posts
I have something I would like to add to this. I realize some people are anti A pillar instals and I understand you points given howver is there a certian position to start with when listening for angles such as ......

Does the tweeter go above the midrange? when lining them up and down the A pillar.
Does the tweeter need to be in front of or behind when laying them across the dash instead of going up and down the pillar?

What has everyone else finds works best for their given setup?

Sorry to the OP if this is considered jacking , but I think this may help both of us.

·
18,699 Posts
I've read (not confirmed) that horizontally mounting a mid/tweeter together isn't a good idea due to lobing. In my car, I didn't really notice a problem with that. I'll be trying vertical alignment (mid on bottom, tweeter above it) this next go-round to see what if I notice a real difference. $.02

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have something I would like to add to this. I realize some people are anti A pillar instals and I understand you points given howver is there a certian position to start with when listening for angles such as ......

Does the tweeter go above the midrange? when lining them up and down the A pillar.
Does the tweeter need to be in front of or behind when laying them across the dash instead of going up and down the pillar?

What has everyone else finds works best for their given setup?

Sorry to the OP if this is considered jacking , but I think this may help both of us.
Not a problem at all, those are some good questions.
I've read (not confirmed) that horizontally mounting a mid/tweeter together isn't a good idea due to lobing. In my car, I didn't really notice a problem with that. I'll be trying vertical alignment (mid on bottom, tweeter above it) this next go-round to see what if I notice a real difference. $.02
I'd like to keep the mid and tweeter as close as possible because I'll be splitting T/A to both of them and I don't want it to sound different on each driver.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
lobing would only be a concern if the driver were playing the same passband, like you I haven't noticed any adverse effects of horizontal mounting.
I'd like to keep the mid and tweeter as close as possible because I'll be splitting T/A to both of them and I don't want it to sound different on each driver.
TA won't matter at all for the tweeters really, level matching is much more important for high frequencies.

I would suggest a 3" fullrange (the peerless is excellent) with a 3/4" dome crossed over at 5-6khz. I've A/B many GREAT 6.5"/1" combos with the conventional ~3khz xover and I can't tell you how much more coherent a good fullrange sounds taking over that lower treble and eliminating that xover in the crtical range... i can't see myself going back to a conventional 2way anymore.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts