DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever seen a car with monstrous Apillar pods on up on the dash? Lol - well that is what I want to avoid! I suspect those set ups sound like heaven itself, but most don't look so hot

I have it in my head to build some custom pods for my 4.5" Scan tweeters and 4.5" Scan mids to mount them on my Apillars. I even have a plan and prototypes set up and am going to start construction today.

Anyhow, I've been searching for pics and build threads of any and all of these designs I can find, but haven't had just a lot of luck. Would you please lend me a hand and post up links to posts "at home" or "abroad" to anything with pics of apillar pods? Trust me, I've searched and linked some up already, but I want to steal all the good ideas I can to have a shot at ending up with something that boths sounds AND looks great!

Thanks lol. Jim - aka Less

·
18,681 Posts
I know you've seen mine, but they don't house the large flange tweeter. There is the option of having a shop machine the flange down. That's what the owner of my tweeters did that allowed them to fit where they did. He worked at a machine shop and trimmed the flanges down to within 2mm of the tweeter body. I know the air circ's design wouldn't permit this close of a cut down, but you might be able to knock off an inch, and when mounting large flange tweeters on the dash, anything helps.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
good point Matt!

Its an 06 Civic and my sig link will take you to my most recent build log. Civics have huge dashs and actually are one of the better cars to have to do this with... except for the two level dash.

ERIN, I really just don't want to mess with these tweeters. I guess I think I can come up with something that will work without having too. Thankfully the Air circs are very shallow mount drivers and won't take any depth at all.

ELPARNER - WOW! Really nice job! Thanks much for posting!

My current plan is as follows:
- cut a base board to mount to the apillar and support wire connections
- assemble front baffle
-attach the two using bendable metal strapping tape
- mount the drivers and adjust optimal stage - image
- replace banding with mdf block
- figure out how I am going to do the grills
- wrap the whole thing with fleece and fiberglass
- build up layers of glass on the inside and coat front baffle and rear mount
- install wire connectors
- clean - sand to death and vinyl front and sides
- apply damplifier pro or similar damping as needed
- securely afix both pods to apillar
- cut plastic pillar to fit as deeply into place as possible (- mount drivers and crank things up!

I'm still open to ideas though and a couple folks have pmd me with their shots - very nice work guys - thanks for helping me out !!! I'm not using a dome midrange = so its important for me to allow a minimum of one liter of air space for my 12ms to operate in...

Ok - nap time for a bit, then its out to the compass, cardboard models and then the saw!

Thanks all - and thanks to Second Skin and DIYMA for the nice trunk pack too! Now I can finally finish my dampening and really have a nice completely damped vehicle. AS a person who never seems to win anything - this really made my day. I suspect that this is going to be the single best product in its class as well - so I am looking forward to it!

Jim - aka Less

Truth is though, there have been a fair number of changes since the last serious update and I'll be starting another log later this summer if I get all my projects done

·
Registered
524 Posts
from my current build.

current state: mtm

Previous tries

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'm going to bump this up for some more pics of tweets and mids on the dash/a-pillar. I'm trying to figure out how to make a 4" Dayton Reference RS100-4 and large format Dayton RS28A-4 tweeter fit up top and hopefully making them both point towards the center of the vehicle.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i think i can help out if u guys wanna see some samples of tweeter or midrange pod.. its quite commonly found over here in this part of our world:D ie singapore/malaysia...(do google if u confuse it with africa:eek::p) Do check out the installation pictures to get a better pictures. Links below:

Pod maker in singapore: Get only Sinfoni and Rainbow approved tweeter pod - sgsoundsystem.com

fourmers setup:
Pictures of ICE Setup........ Guys Pls contribute...... - sgsoundsystem.com

or here:
audio creations: Tweeter Pods

·
Registered
193 Posts
Heres my setup used to be in dvflyers car, 16psibrick made them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
double post

1 - 15 of 15 Posts