DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought 2 dayton rs100s for some added midrange and am going to glass them into the a pillar along with the tweet which is the id nx30. What i was wondering is what is the best aiming for this should i try to aim the drivers at the person infront of them towards the center console towards the opposite persons ear, Or should i just stfu and build a baffle and find out what sounds best myself lol. Just looking to see what people who have already done it had the best success wit as a general starting point.
thanks

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
doesn't matter what we tell you has worked for us, it will be different in every application. just mock different angles with the drivers mounted on a bunched up towel. that should give you a much better starting point than anyone elses opinion.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
my experience has been for pinpoint accuracy and staging, aim the left midrange on axis to your left ear, and the right driver on axis at your right ear. Yes....it will suck ass for the passenger.

if you don't care as much about the above, then aiming them at uniform angles will sound pretty damn good. like already mentioned, try different angles and allow your ears to be the judge. hope that helps

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I tend to do what BigRed mentioned. Sucks for the passenger, but I don't build a stereo for them anyway.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i would try to aim them mid way between both seats, that way u could get the best image possible from both the driver seat or passenger seat. just my 2cents

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
doesn't matter what we tell you has worked for us, it will be different in every application. just mock different angles with the drivers mounted on a bunched up towel. that should give you a much better starting point than anyone elses opinion.

+1 This man speaks the truth!

BigRed gave you some good info too, but doing your setup like that only works if you have DSP that will allow you to adjust the L/R amplitude individually.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i figured id have to play with it to find where i like it. Ill prob aim them more at the middle prob not the best sq wise but i dont think ill like the looks of having two drastically different angles plus i always have passengers and i ride in the passenger seat sometimes so.
thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
yes, boosted, you are correct. i assumed he had dsp. if not, definately angling them and testing is the best method. also, if you do have dsp, no matter what angles you end up with, you can have 2 settings on your dsp for imaging based on where you sit :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ive got my RS100s mounted in my sail panels and have noticed a few things:

1. They have a wide dispersion angle. Mine are aimed at the opposing passenger (left speaker aimed at passenger's head) and I notice the left side still sounding heavier/louder than the right side even though the right RS100 is aimed at me from across the car.
2. These speakers sound dramatically different in a sealed system. I was running these in a back-less sail panel i made and didn't like the sound too much, it was harsh and had little depth. When i sealed them up on the backs and put some polyfill inside them they sounded much better and thicker.

That said, i'm going to re-mount them myself, as i hope to have them on the dash/a-pillars aimed at center as opposed to the sails.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts