DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I need just one more speaker suggestion here, I swear it's my last before I start buying drivers for this system :D

I plan on mounting some tweets higher up in my A-pillar to improve my soundstage, kind of like the CDT stage up system to some extent. These tweets won't be playing on the same frequency as my others though, I just need them for 7khz and above. I don't believe human voices fall in this freq. range, so I'm not even sure if it matters if it's a hard dome or soft dome tweet. I usually prefer soft domes, but if there's a more detailed hard dome for this job and it's not sibilant, I'm all for it.....

I am looking for a tweet that: has good power handling, as it will most likely see 80 watts rms or so, has good dispersion characteristics, because they will be way off axis, and has a very good airy,detailed, clean high end.

I know the LPG's are known for this, but wasn't so sure on the power handling, also some ring radiator tweets might work well I thought because of their extended frequency response.

Just wondering what you guys would use? Thanks! Austin

·
Registered
989 Posts
MB Quart Q series :D

Not a DIY tweeter though, but they work great off axis in A Pillars. I swear mine are not harsh at all, but very detailed.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about those, I'm kinda waiting for newtitan's review. They seemed kind of exotic, and a little pricey, wasn't sure how they'd sound off axis.........

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
cant get the TEC in the US, unfortunately--I emailed them two days ago

--and the company wont ship them to me for some reason, rbsarve says he has some--but thats only available through a group buy

but id also recommend the lpg 26 or 25, since they are small, cheap, and you can take the grille off to paint match to your pillars (learned that from a member here a few days ago :) )

I think those are you best bet as they are VERY nice small size tweeters especially up high at your desired crossover point

·
Registered
880 Posts
The Tec´s are really sweet performers, and tiny! Our MRSP here is about $160 for a pair, but that can be haggled over for you guys ;-) We are making our pre-christmas order to EB soon, so if any of you plan to get some please let me know so we can adjust the inventory levels.

They come with a x-over, for a soundstage lift I´d suggest getting a pair of adjustable L-pads so that they can be dialed in to the right amount.

·
Registered
531 Posts
cam2Xrunner said:
MB Quart Q series :D

Not a DIY tweeter though, but they work great off axis in A Pillars. I swear mine are not harsh at all, but very detailed.
same thing with the 3/4" mbq's....absolutely f'ing loved them from 7k on up....pure bliss.....virtually no eq needed.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Anyone have thoughts on the ring radiators? I saw no one had mentioned them.....

I forgot about the maxfi, those might be a better choice because of the power levels, otherwise I know the LPG's are highly regarded for this task.... :)

·
Registered
578 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
power handling looks a little too low, but $5?!?, lol

The Vifa D26NC55 was reviewed very favorably from this review also....I'll have to take a look......

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
The LPG's are rated at 80w @ 8ohms. I say go with the LPG's.

npdang said:
I would say yes on the LPG being my top pick above 6khz. It's cheap, and it sounds very very good. Silverline audio uses them in some pretty expensive speakers that were reviewed well. At that xover point you should have no trouble with audible distortion or breakup.

As for metal vs. silk. The metal dome is a bit more "realistic" sounding on guitar plucks, cymbals, and metal instruments. It has that nice shimmer, impact, and sparkle to it, while the silk tends to sound a bit flat and his However, on vocals the silk sounds more natural and relaxed... the metal sounds a bit hard, icy, and cold. Shhhh sounds have a slight tendency to come out more as CCHHHH sounds if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
578 Posts
xencloud said:
power handling looks a little too low, but $5?!?, lol

The Vifa D26NC55 was reviewed very favorably from this review also....I'll have to take a look......

You realize that you probably don't need much more than what it can handle in the frequency range you need them to play... Use your gains wisely... ;)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
one more question.....IF I chose say......the LPG hard domes and used them for 7Khz+ duty, do you think they'd sound alright with the Scan/alpine soft domes playing below that?

I mean, I don't know if using hard domes in conjunction with soft domes is a no-no for some reason or not....is there any reason this should NOT be done?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I would just use the LPG instead... saves time in installation & much simpler to achieve... I really see no point in using both when 1 can do just fine.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The reason I'm doing it is to improve my soundstage and raise it up a little. I was going to use some mids molded into some custom fiberglass mounts near the stock tweet location, but that would be too much, so I'm just doing a tweet that will fit with less work, and using it as sort of a midrange, and then using a second set of tweets monuted in my a-pillars, sort of like the CDT stage up kit......

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
racerraul said:
I would just use the LPG instead... saves time in installation & much simpler to achieve... I really see no point in using both when 1 can do just fine.
Many have done it with success. You really need the lower stage to be able to play up to 6kHz-7kHz. It is good if you have a mid that can play up that high but, many don't. Thus the need for the tweet in the kicks and well. Crossing the a-pillar tweets too low can effect blending and cause seperation in a big way.

This late and great sounding car had tweets in the kicks and pillars:
Ron Buffington's BMW 318Ti :
http://carsound.com/articles/publish/article_296.shtml

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've looked at that cdt kit, what does the upstage kit actually do? is it just a crossover sending 7k+ to the upstage tweets?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts