DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2.0T base with no audio upgrade.
Premium model comes with 600-watts Infinity system, but mine comes with the stock 170-watts OEM system.
I like the sound but once my volume goes past 10, I start it to hate it more and more as the volume goes up.
I don't know anything about car audio, but I'm a musician myself, which means I'd like to enjoy somewhat decently loud yet clear music while I commute.

So, I have already browsed all over to give myself a few options.

1) HU + AMP + Speakers :
Obviously, this would be the best option since I'm going to swap the entire thing out and replace it with a better system. But $$$ too much.
2) HU + Speakers:
Skip the amp part, cross my fingers that my new HU would be decent enough to pump out great sound.
3) AMP + Speakers:
This is actually what I'm leaning towards 'cause I really really want to keep my old HU. Not that it's fancy or anything, but in my car, there is this little blue LCD screen in the dash that shows what's being played, etc. If I replace my HU, I am pretty much guaranteed to have a dead LCD unit that displays practically nothing. I WANT THAT LCD TO WORK. I just want to improve my sound. Hence the idea of installing an amp and replacing speakers to properly match what my newly acquired amp will put out.

Given these options and my inclination towards option #3, can someone suggest upgrade options for me? Or if option #3 compared to other options is a stupid idea, can someone briefly explain why and smack me in the head to knock some sense in?

I don't think I'll ever want a sub, so possibly an amp + speaker combo that can put out decent bass that's not going to shake the earth would be good.

Oh and if you can suggest something under $300 or $300-$600 that'd be great as well.
(If I sound like a total newbie without really knowing how much anything costs, another lecture would be also appreciated...)

Any suggestions, lectures, comments, whatever you have, would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
My suggestion to you would be to add some amplification and replace your stock speakers.

I would also advise you to look/search OEM interfaces to flatten the factory signal because many OEM sound systems have built-in EQ in the amp or factory HU.

I say that a solid installation is a big part in a good sounding system. Look into sound treatment such as sound deadener, barriers, and closed cell foams.

Choosing speakers will depend on budget, sound preference, and size limitations

Choosing amplifiers will depend on power needed/wanted, mouting location, and budget

I dont know you budget but that is how I would plan out a system. If you are not installing it yourself, look into reputable shops and installers that do quality work. Small names does not always mean bad work ;)

Start picking one piece at a time, if you start looking at everything all together it can get overwhelming and confusing.

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
if your wanting to keep the hu and add on i'd start off by getting something like the ms8 and some new interior speakers. you could use the ms8 to power your new speakers and later on add a sub amp and sub. this way you'll have processing to tune it. you being a musician should appreciate being able to tune

azngotskills u beat me to it lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts