DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread might be kind of rambling, somewhat of a putting ideas down on paper type of thing... I had been planning on picking up an aftermarket HU for my car, but have now decided that there is not a single aftermarket HU I like the look of in my dash, so have sold my PXE-H650 and plan to pick up a JBL MS8 in the next couple of weeks.

Currently, I have a set of components in my front doors, and a single 10" sub in the trunk. I like the simplicity of it, and how it sounds.

However, with the MS8, I am debating adding some speakers and giving Logic 7 a try. I already have a spot on my dash for a center speaker (the stock one is still in there, which I have no idea on the size). So, am I right in thinking that if I add another set of speakers back into my rear doors (I took out and sold the stock speakers) that I can enable Logic 7?

If I do that, am I right in thinking that I could, at least temporarily, use the MS8's internal amp to run the center and rear speakers, and keep my existing amp to run my front speakers and sub? I feel like I read somewhere that the MS8 will cut power to the speakers running off the external amp though.

Another question, how big is an MS8 in comparison to an Alpine PXE-H650? I am debating mounting the MS8 in my glovebox (I never use it for anything anyway, and it seems as though it would be a good space to install it). The only other option I have is behind one of the doors in the trunk, but I fear that in there with my amp it will get too hot.

Sorry for the kind of rambling thread, I am looking forward to getting something new, playing around with, and hopefully improving my system.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am not sure how big you glovebox may be; but I don't think it is good idea planning to install an MS8 in there. It's not the issue of size, but you have to have both sides available for input and output so it increases the actual footprint to a larger size. Unless you have a huge glovebox and can mount it sideways so that you have access to both sides, it is not the greatest design plan.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure how big you glovebox may be; but I don't think it is good idea planning to install an MS8 in there. It's not the issue of size, but you have to have both sides available for input and output so it increases the actual footprint to a larger size. Unless you have a huge glovebox and can mount it sideways so that you have access to both sides, it is not the greatest design plan.
It is a fairly decent size, but looking at the dimensions of the MS8, I don't know that it will fit in there. I might make a cardboard template and play around with it some, but am thinking you are right that with both sides needing to be accessed it simply won't fit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts