DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been looking for an SQ oriented 3 or 4 channel amplifier for a reasonably small system in my station wagon. I'm looking for a bridged 320 watts or more to power a subwoofer. I also require a subsonic filter or comparable bandpass capability for running ported. I'd like for feed not much more than 75-80 watts to my components, as I prefer a laid back sound stage. I'll be using audiophile speakers, so SQ is key. I do not want class d.

-I've been looking at the soundstream REF 4.920, which seems to be my only option with the crossover input stage, subsonic filter I require. Seems like power overkill for my 2-ways, weighing in at 100amps, my alternator is only 80amps. I'd probably run a 60amp breaker.

-I've also noticed Sundown audio has some 4 channels which would do the job, but I can't figure out which ones are A/B. is their SAX/SAZ 100.4 a class d?

-Precision Power PC640.4 has what I need and comes in new on the cheap. I've heard mixed reliability on new PPI.

-3 channel amps are also an option, but I do not know of many, besides Xtant 3300x/3300c. they do not have a subsonic and have reliability/aging issues, so forget them. I'd love a ppi pc 4100 power class 4-channel, but again scratch that, no subsonic. Avoiding class D due to antenna interference, many 3-channels seem to be D. No hate on D, I really like my sister's JL XD500/3. Anyway. I don't think it has a subsonic(SSF) either.

Any ideas?

· Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ID Q450.4
ARC 4200, (beleive these are Class G/H)
I'm on a way tighter budget than the Robert Zeff signature ARC. The ID seems a little lean on power for my needs. Thank you though for your input.

Looking at the $200 used price range. maybe up to $300

· Registered
12,625 Posts
I'm on a way tighter budget than the Robert Zeff signature ARC. The ID seems a little lean on power for my needs. Thank you though for your input.

Looking at the $200 used price range. maybe up to $300
they are both very good SQ amps. you didnt specify a budget. :) you said you wanted no more than 75 watts on the components. even a perfectly 100% effciency amplifier wont bridge 2 75watt channels to 320 watts.

200 watts for a front stage is alot of power, unless you are running really poor sensitivity drivers. I have 150 watts on my 6.5" and they are WAY louder than I need them to be.

· Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SOUNDSTREAM REF4.760 (S / N: 102dB)

4 ohms: 110 watts x 4 chan.
2 ohms: 170 watts x 4 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 340 watts x 2 chan.

· Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I've never heard of Soundqubed, seems to be the same as the Audioque AQ 120.4. I'm leaning toward the SS ref 4.760

-Cadence ZRS-C9 4-channel, 100x4 is a contender, weighing in at a shy 300 watts @ 4ohms bridged for the subwoofer, which would be best suited with 350.

· Registered
1,026 Posts
I've got a Boston GT-475. It's in good condition and I'll ship it to you for $125.

It's AB and very nice SQ(IMO).;)

Been looking for an SQ oriented 3 or 4 channel amplifier for a reasonably small system in my station wagon. I'm looking for a bridged 320 watts or more to power a subwoofer. I also require a subsonic filter or comparable bandpass capability for running ported. I'd like for feed not much more than 75-80 watts to my components, as I prefer a laid back sound stage. I'll be using audiophile speakers, so SQ is key. I do not want class d.

-I've been looking at the soundstream REF 4.920, which seems to be my only option with the crossover input stage, subsonic filter I require. Seems like power overkill for my 2-ways, weighing in at 100amps, my alternator is only 80amps. I'd probably run a 60amp breaker.

-I've also noticed Sundown audio has some 4 channels which would do the job, but I can't figure out which ones are A/B. is their SAX/SAZ 100.4 a class d?

-Precision Power PC640.4 has what I need and comes in new on the cheap. I've heard mixed reliability on new PPI.

-3 channel amps are also an option, but I do not know of many, besides Xtant 3300x/3300c. they do not have a subsonic and have reliability/aging issues, so forget them. I'd love a ppi pc 4100 power class 4-channel, but again scratch that, no subsonic. Avoiding class D due to antenna interference, many 3-channels seem to be D. No hate on D, I really like my sister's JL XD500/3. Anyway. I don't think it has a subsonic(SSF) either.

Any ideas?

· Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
- Zed ESX 120.4, my dream amp, perfect for my application, but my friend advises never to purchase a used amplifier.

- SoundStream REF 4.760 (110x4/340 bridged @4), Found a used one for $160, which is just over half of the new cost, wish I could haggle down further, 340w bridged @4, perfect for my application. Not sure if a SS ref 4.920(150x4/450 bridged) is necessary. I'm also not sure about the actual SQ quality of an SS ref, I've never heard one.
- PPI PC 640, same deal, does anyone have any epierience with them?

- Cadence ZRS-C9 (C4 150x4/450 bridged w/ SSF, but 2' long!) 100x4/300 bridged, features the subsonic filter I require. Just seems a little shy for the sub, and has anyone heard the SQ from the Cadence ZRS line?

I need like at least 320w @ 4ohms bridged, with SS or BP filter, to feed either a Digital Designs DD 1500 in a spec with huge port, an Image Dynamics IDQ12d2 sealed, maybe a JL 12w3v2d2 sealed, or even a Morel Primo 124 sealed. Any other comparable options? Vintage re audio models?

· Registered
211 Posts
Sound stream 4.920. Or sundown SAX 100.4. I have both and the soundstream is more power and very clean. The sundown is also a very nice amp. Both are A/B you can't go wrong with either one

· Registered
477 Posts

Any ideas?

Your alternator size will be fine with that amp because you wont keep the volume running full tilt at all times, and as long as you listen at full volume while the car is running and not a long time with car turned off you should be ok,

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

· Registered
7,675 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.