DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i was just wondering about my sealed boxes i have.. i did not make these (audio shop installed them). Im wondering if there is anyway i can possibly find out how much air space is in the boxes and what they are tuned to (not sure if sealed boxes can even be tuned). So if anyone could pass along their knowledge itd be greatful! thanks.

Also, i have looked endleeeeeesssssly on the internet for websites that have
-3db 20-100 hz test tones.. if anyone could hook me up with a link or send me some id apperciate that also!! thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You can use packing peanuts to measure the volume of the boxes. If they're prefab boxes their might be a model and air space figure printed inside the box. Sealed boxes are not tuned. You're confusing that with port tuning.

Why are you looking for -3 dB tones? Do you have 0 dB tones?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
You should be able to just do the math to determine volume.

If you know the material thickness (1/2,5/8,3/4 wood thickness) then just measure the length, width, height of the box. Subtract material thickness and multiply the three numbers together. Divide by 1728 to get cubic feet

ex: outside box dimensions are 25 1/2 inches wide by 13 1/2 inches high by 13 1/2 inches deep. Material is 3/4 inch mdf.

subtract 1 1/2 inches from each dimension as each panel is 3/4 material. you end up with 24X12X12

Multiply and you get 3456 cubic inches

Divide by 1728 and you get 2 cubic feet

No sealed boxes are not tuned. Only ported or bandpass boxes are tuned. I am not entirely sure how horns are labeled.

Why are you wanting -3db tones? Aren't 0db tones ok? I thought Realm of excursion had them for free...

And why 50 hertz?

What are you trying to achieve?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
hey guys i was just wondering about my sealed boxes i have.. i did not make these (audio shop installed them). Im wondering if there is anyway i can possibly find out how much air space is in the boxes and what they are tuned to (not sure if sealed boxes can even be tuned). So if anyone could pass along their knowledge itd be greatful! thanks.

Also, i have looked endleeeeeesssssly on the internet for websites that have
-3db 20-100 hz test tones.. if anyone could hook me up with a link or send me some id apperciate that also!! thanks guys!
Rockford Fosgate® - Woofer BoxWizard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts