DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Looking for a way to tune my sytem without the vehicle running but not use battery power. Is there a safe way of doing this that won't short anything out?

·
Registered
11,999 Posts
get a power supply. just pick one that has enough current to run the system.

Do not use this as a battery charger though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm having trouble finding one though. All I can find is to plug something into your car using 12 bolt to 110. I need the opposite. Any suggestions or know of any brands?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure. I have a 400 watt amp and a 1000 watt amp. Do I just hook
This to the battery? I just want something for when I'm tuning or can have the radio on when working on it.

·
Registered
11,999 Posts
1400 watts can draw about 130 amps flat out. if you are listening at reasonable levels, then 50-60 amps will be more than enough current.

yes, just set the power supply for about 13volts and connect it to the battery with clips.(very sturdy clips) At 13 volts, it wont be able to over charge it but it will kick in the the current when it needs to.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Not sure. I have a 400 watt amp and a 1000 watt amp. Do I just hook
This to the battery? I just want something for when I'm tuning or can have the radio on when working on it.
A 20 amp supply shoudl do the trick for you, if you want enough to really crank it up and jam get a 50 amp. Also look on ebay some people are selling Large PC power supplies for a good price there. If you want something real nice get an IOTA power supply/charger.

Yes they connect straight to the battery just like a battery charger does. You can get a pair of jumper cables and cut off one end and attach that to the power supply and then use the remaining connectors to connect to your vehicles battery or jump start connection.

Eric

·
Registered
242 Posts
^^^Yep. You can buy an old computer server power supply from ebay for around $20 and modify it pretty easily.

Here's mine: - 125A regulated power supply, fully adjustable from 12V to 14V:

Instructions are in this thread:

A simple high quality 12Volt 100Amp Power Supply- Part1 - Page 37 - RC Groups

I did the Dell 6800 Poweredge

I also bought this Die Hard Platinum battery charger and starter because the home-made power supply isn't 100% idiot proof and sometimes I still manage to run my battery dead while using it.

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-microprocessor-controlled-wheeled-battery-charger-with/p-02871234000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

·
Registered
531 Posts
Funny I just bought one and it came in to the fedex depot. Gonna pick it up tommorow.

350w (13v/30a) so I can do exactly what you are saying.

I got mine on aliexpress for $15+ $15 3 day shipping from China.

You have got to remember music is not like you think it is.

If an amp is rated at 1000w RMS, even at full tilt, music doesn't drain like a sine wave (69A). It would use around 1/3 to 1/4 that. What I am trying to say is 30a or even 25a is more than enough to keep a battery charged while doing tuning sessions. For me, I even have a computer to power! (CarPC)

My amp is 1300 RMS and at full tilt I have it going through a 50A fuse - and it never blows.

·
Registered
11,999 Posts

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I have a few of the C.A.E./Cascade/IOTA APS-xx units and they are awesome. But I also have a few of these in my grip/utility trucks (they have on-board 110v Honda generators) and these will work great for what you want to do and also double as a good battery charger (all types) and alternator/electrical system tester. So for the money you're getting a more versatility.

Black & Decker VEC1093DBD

Black & Decker Smart 4/10/20/40 Amp Battery Charger with 110 Engine Start: Automotive : Walmart.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts