DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
All I will tell you is get it fixed one way or another.

This stuff will seal it, not sure if it lasts forever but sure it does for years. I used it many times on gas and it works. Local stores here have it. You can put this stuff on when gas is running out of a hole and it will plug it up, no kidding.
Seal-All Adhesive Product Information

·
Registered
604 Posts
teflon tape DOES not dissolve in gasoline..PTFE is TEFLON!..
Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is a synthetic fluoropolymer of tetrafluoroethylene The best known brand name of PTFE is Teflon by DuPont Co.
man u guys need chemistry 101 at a good skool..
look before you asswipes spout off .. know what ur talking about before you get somebody hurt.

can anybody on this thread tell me what the minimum acceptable thread depth is for pipe threads according to astm???? if not STFU! you can seal a plastic tank with pipe plug provide you have minimum adequate thread engagement.!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Didn't have to look it up. I am a machinist. We make alot of parts with pipe taps, cooling manifolds for diecast applications, fuel delivery parts, stuff like that.
And yes it does depend on hole/tap size. I was going by a 5/16 hole.
:cool:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I say replace the tank. This way you don't have to worry if you chose the correct solder, or tap size, or epoxy, or if it was too humid, or if it was the correct thread depth, or if the teflon was ok, or if the patch broke after you just drive over that giant log, and any other options from this thread that I missed.
I'm all for diy and Macgyvering stuff but not when it comes to a gas tank and the safety of others in my car.

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you have to ask, then you should just have it replaced.
I meant to say: "It doesn't matter if you repair it or replace it. If you have to ask, then you should just have a professional who knows what he's doing fix it. Get a professional opinion, get some quotes, and get it done right."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
A little update:

I brought the car to a shop to get an estimate to repair the holes. They wanted $1200 to fix it. That's way out of my budget.

I patched the holes myself with sound deadener and called it good. Cheap, easy fix. No more gas smell!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I don't think the sound deadener will last very long.

Gasketing Materials - vegetable fiber, compressed, natural, synthetic

"Butyl rubber is a copolymer of isobutylene and isoprene. It has exceptionally low gas and moisture permeability and outstanding resistance to heat aging, weather, ozone, chemical attack, flexing, abrasion and tearing. It has good resistance to phosphate ester based hydraulic fluids, and has excellent electrical isolation performance. Butyl is not recommended for use when in contact with petroleum oils and fluids. The temperature range is -55˚C to +120˚C (-67˚F to +248˚F). We carry only in sheet material."

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
A little update:

I brought the car to a shop to get an estimate to repair the holes. They wanted $1200 to fix it. That's way out of my budget.

I patched the holes myself with sound deadener and called it good. Cheap, easy fix. No more gas smell!

I hope you didn't use peel 'n seal. No really, you should get that tank replaced. Sell an amplifier if you have to.

Now that I think about it, I call BS. This is a serious problem and the guy couldn't reply to the advice given and only has two posts on this forum. Hmmm...

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
we should watch the news for a car to go boom in NJ.
sound deadener, really?peel n stick of best known to men butil based one doesn`t matter they will not hold gasoline vaports for long, wait for a warm weather, gasoline expands and vapors escape through that hole, tiny spark outside of the hole and boom, Ionly hope you will be alone in this vehicle when that happened.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
A little update:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Nope. Just trying to save money. I don't have $1200 to get it fixed professionally. I just got laid-off. Times are hard. I had the sound deadening on hand already. I didn't just put one layer on. I used multiple layers.

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
Nope. Just trying to save money. I don't have $1200 to get it fixed professionally. I just got laid-off. Times are hard. I had the sound deadening on hand already. I didn't just put one layer on. I used multiple layers.
understood, but you can do better than sound deadener yourself.
find a gas resistant gasket,curt round piece about an inch in diameter, drill a hole in the center with same size bit, what was that 5/16? about 8mm .buy ivets herehttp://www.amazon.com/CRL-16-18-Rivet-Nut/dp/B001G1E87S or whatever diameter you need, I`d go with aluminum rivet, easier to compresshttp://www.amazon.com/100-pc-Aluminum-Nut-Rivet-Pack/dp/B004P4DK5Y/ref=pd_sbs_indust_8

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I thought gas tanks build up some pressure inside...

41 - 60 of 64 Posts