DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd share because it's kinda huge if you've had the opportunity to hear Big Bill's FJ running Accuton home drivers or others or if you're familiar with home speakers running Accuton drivers. In a word, they're ridiculously good IMO. Yes, I'm impressed.

So I'm hopeful the auto line up will be as stellar.. I guarantee they won't be cheap.. Definitely not for the "mid-fi" buyers in that in-between territory. I expect they'll be pricey for sure. I imagine if you gotta bitch about the pricing, you're simply not a buyer. That'll be where these are I suspect. Depends on where your personal point of diminishing returns falls I suppose.

Having trouble copying a link but PSSound posted about it on facebook with lots of good pics of the proto's.

Here's the Accuton site:
https://accuton-automotive.com/en-home/products?fbclid=IwAR1A7ZXRvDHfJUnhRAaqhJ39KIlZbJsFWbX5jW3PJ1uaaO7nIrxVxLRrHsU

Looks like a 30mm tweeter, 100mm Midrange, 165mm Midbass-midrange

·
Registered
17,872 Posts
should be nice, and definitely sound great in Bills car. I've spoken to them about distributing in the US, and i can attest, definitely wont be cheap lol. That said, im not sure what they are doing with the midbass. Looks like its still designed for a smaller sealed enclosure and not a door

·
Registered
830 Posts
been using there drivers for 20 years

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
ARCO - Peter Steinbacher (PS SOUND is using them from Feb/March,.... heard them at EMMA EU finals this year,...they sounded very very good. Accuton for home was not too suitable for car audio due to Glue that is not so UV resistant, but anyways there are a few installs with those drivers

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Any links to Big Bill's FJ? I went searching but couldn't find. I have a 2012 FJ that needs audio.

edit: Ran across Steve's pics of the kicks and pillars, that's probably it.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
I sure liked Brownout Billy's FJ with Accuton midrange and tweet. Detail to a level it was almost scary. The car drivers should be a big hit for those that can swing the price.

For those who are stumped at "Brownout Billy" that name came from him tripping the breaker at Bertholomy's house every time he poured the coals to his system;)

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Those C100AM’s look like they have my name on it. Any preliminary MSRP pricing?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Those C100AM’s look like they have my name on it. Any preliminary MSRP pricing?
I’d guess 700-1000 dollars roughly if not more, I’m sure peters tweeters were 1200 but can’t remember if that was each or for a pair

I’ve asked peter if he knows any info on the new stuff... I know his car sounds exceptionally nice with the mid bass and tweeters, he runs a hybrid X6 for the midrange ?

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
That’s what I was figuring for a pair, but if they pull the “Car Audio tax”on these then I’ll pass. I can get accuton c90-6-724‘s for less than $1k so I’d want these to be in the ballpark with similar performance.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Prices for Accutone midbass were from roughly 300-700EUR per driver
My prices above are exactly what I got back when I asked peter Steinbacher for details of expected prices for the Arco automotive drivers and are for pairs ?? Accuton may be cheaper but I’m presuming these automotive drivers use slightly different tech to be more water resistant in the car environment

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
That’s what I was figuring for a pair, but if they pull the “Car Audio tax”on these then I’ll pass. I can get accuton c90-6-724‘s for less than $1k so I’d want these to be in the ballpark with similar performance.
I get that I'm risking sounding like a troll here but the car audio tax is why the raw driver craze (and the birth of this forum) took off in the first place. But I also get the fact that a speaker needs special precautions taken in the design to stand the test of time in a harsh car audio install. This is why I'm a little concerned about the RAW midbass drivers in my doors but not the least bit concerned about the car audio drivers in/on my dash that are baking in the sun. It gets really sweaty in my doors when the morning sun hits them here in the dirty HUMID south. Any speaker designer that cares about their reputation will torture test their prototypes BEFORE they start producing them for sale to the public. This takes time and money that needs to be passed on to the consumer. Then there's warranty claims. So yeah if you think about it the "car audio tax" is warranted to a point but whether or not it's excessive is up to the consumer. Now when a company doubles or triples the price of the same speaker when it hits their car audio line (cough ccwr254 cough) that's a little excessive. Then there's Arc charging something like $700 a pair for what was said to be a mildly tweaked SB 6.5" that could be had for $110 shipped per pair to your door off Madisound for the raw version. The raw SB drivers have also been said to not hold up so great in a car door by some but I never had an issue with mine...also don't think they were even in my black doors a year before gs690's replaced them. They looked and performed like the day they were installed when I sold them though.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Needless to say, these will be dead in the water for most enthusiasts at that price point. But I guess the car audio tax strikes again.

EDIT: And to the post above mine, I think those examples summarize my point.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Well until they are officially released. I won't hold my breath on the price.

The market dictates that price by supply and demand. How much are the crossover's?

I'm not a Focal fan, so this will be on my radar for my second car!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts